Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a super long shot -- but does anyone know of a breeder in the Seattle area who had a litter on 8/29/2010? We rescued a blue Dobie whose first owner lived in Kent, WA. It's great that we know his birthdate, but we would love to find out something about his parents and their health. He looks like a standard Doberman and has a great temperament. Unfortunately, he has a thin coat and had pimples on his head when we first got him at 5 months old. I realize that that's probably not the signs of a reputable breeder, but I won't know unless I try. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
:please:

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
First af all, welcome to DT and thank you for rescuing!

I think you will find it hard to find the original breeder. As mentioned before about the coat issues, those are common in blues.

Here in the US the rescue usually chips the dog before it goes to a new home....so a copy of the adoption paperwork would mean the dog's info would be transferred to the new owner.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Eelcome from Missouri - I would check back with the rescue. It is my understanding that they do not give paperwork even if they have it. I have found this amazing and see no reason to protect the breeder from discovery if that is the reason but maybe it does cause them more problems for some reason unknown to me. But I would findout if the chip was implanted by the rescue which it most likely was.

I personally feel if the dog has papers the papers belong to the dog and papers give a way to research the pedigree and possible health issues. Good luck with your search.

·
Take my Dobe, please!
2,566 Posts
Some microchip companies have procedures for transferring microchip registration for animals "processed" by animal control facilities, animal shelters, or rescue groups. Have the shelter contact the Customer Service department to ask about how this can be done.

Once the 'chip has been transferred to the agency, some agencies will require the 'chip to remain registered with them for a minimum amount of time before transferring it to the adopter. Some agencies retain registration and will not transfer the 'chip to the adopter. Please note that this policy is meant to protect the animal and was not put in place to inconvenience or offend the adopter.

There was a time when AKC policy was to cancel the registration of those dogs that had been "processed" by an AC/shelter/rescue. That policy was rescinded, but there are many people who believe it is still in place. (And who knows? The AKC may change its mind again and reinstate that policy.) Further, there are ACs/shelters/rescues whose policy is not to pass along AKC registration (or indeed, any registry's paperwork). While this means you will not be able to register the dog in your name with its original name, breeder's info, d.o.b., sire & dam's info, you can still get the dog an AKC PAL number.

If you explain to the AC/shelter/rescue that you want the dog's registration info simply to research its pedigree, I don't see there should be any objection to them telling you the dog's registered name & #, d.o.b., and names & reg #s of the sire and dam. If they balk at that, it seems to me that if they could just tell you the dog's reg # you should be able to order a pedigree from the AKC.

ETA: Unfortunately, if your dog came from an unethical breeder, the information on its registration could be a total falsehood and thus, worse than useless in trying to ascertain what health issues the dog may have inherited or develop.

Hope you find this info useful. Best of luck with your new DoberPal!:wavey:

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
hmm I have a friend that has a puppy from Judy, let me double check and ask my friend when their dobie was born and get back to you ; )

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
It is my understanding that they do not give paperwork even if they have it. I have found this amazing and see no reason to protect the breeder from discovery if that is the reason but maybe it does cause them more problems for some reason unknown to me.

I personally feel if the dog has papers the papers belong to the dog and papers give a way to research the pedigree and possible health issues. Good luck with your search.
As a rescuer I will give the adopter anything I have except for the previous owners information (if I have it) as that's not fair, BUT if I have a breeders name you bet I will pass it along as like you say may help the owner research pedigree and or health. I will research as much as I can on the dog so I can pass it along (I got a ton of dogs from that originated at the local pet store). I would LOVE to know where my Dobe came from but she has no tattoo or chip but a nice crop job that another breeder told me what vet probably did it (small world here in BC) alas no way to trace the breeder. Shame for me really.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.