Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about vWD. In looking at breeders, i notice a lot of people are breeding "carriers" If a carrier is bred with a clear dog, can the dog end up affected? I don't know if i should consider a pup from someone who is breeding carriers, or not.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I have a question about vWD. In looking at breeders, i notice a lot of people are breeding "carriers" If a carrier is bred with a clear dog, can the dog end up affected? I don't know if i should consider a pup from someone who is breeding carriers, or not.
It's genetically impossible for a vWD clear dog to produce an affected puppy. A clear x carrier breeding means each puppy in a litter has a 50% chance of being clear, a 50% chance of being a carrier.

A lot of people are using carriers for breeding because at this time there aren't enough clear dogs to be able to safely restrict breeding to clear x clear, or even clear x carrier. Doing so would severely restrict the genepool with the possibility you'd be doubling up on something far more serious.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts