Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question regarding vWD disease in Dobermans. I am a geneticist by training, so I have a good understanding of genetics and inheritance.

However I would like to get a better understanding of the disease in Dobermans.

According to the DPCA website, vWD is a autosomal linked disease. Based on this information, If both parents were carriers for vWD: then 25% of their offspring will have 2 copies of the vWD gene and will end up with the disease.

Could someone comment on my logic here? Based on this information I would tend to shy away from a breeding when both parents are carriers for the disease.

·
Super Moderator
15,413 Posts
A reputable breeder breeding a littler that can produce affected puppies will most likely test each individual puppy so the status is known before a puppy is sold to his new home so I wouldn't automatically avoid this type of breeding. There are plenty of other factors in a breeding that you need to consider as well. Vwd is just the tip of the iceburg of health concerns for this breed.

·
Got mutt?
13,726 Posts
While in an ideal world, breeder would only breed clear X clear, or clear X carrier, here are more variables than just vWD. Cardio, for one. However, if a breeder decides that the "best" mate for a carrier is another carrier, then the breeder should pay to have all the pups of the litter tested before placing them, and placing any affected pups in experienced homes. Also, keep in mind that a genetically affected dog does not always mean a clinically affected dog.

For some reason, BYBs and greeders seem to care about vWD more than any other health testing, so they use the fact that they only breed clears as a selling point.

·
Shake n' Bake
839 Posts
As far as health issues go, vWD is probably one of the least harmful ones we have and therefore a lot of breeders test for it but will breed a carrier to carrier, or even affected to affected, if they think they are making a good "match"

While it is true that most DNA affected dobes are not clinical bleeders, once you live with a clinical bleeder (or 8) it will forever change your views on vWD. I have had very bad experiences with clinical bleeders and I would love to see the disease bred out of the doberman but with the current mindset of "DNA affected dogs are almost never clincially affected" I don't see us getting to that point any time in the near future.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
As far as health issues go, vWD is probably one of the least harmful ones we have and therefore a lot of breeders test for it but will breed a carrier to carrier, or even affected to affected, if they think they are making a good "match"

While it is true that most DNA affected dobes are not clinical bleeders, once you live with a clinical bleeder (or 8) it will forever change your views on vWD. I have had very bad experiences with clinical bleeders and I would love to see the disease bred out of the doberman but with the current mindset of "DNA affected dogs are almost never clincially affected" I don't see us getting to that point any time in the near future.

Yes, you are right. I am so sick of hearing excuses like most DNA Affecteds are not clinically affected, it is true but is that an excuse to produce an affected? No it isn't. Then the other one is if the breeding is good in every other way and if we test then it's ok? No it isn't. Testing doesn't change an affected puppy from affected to carrier or clear. There are enough Clear dogs out there who would be a good match for your carrier or affected bitch. And shoot, you can breed your clear bitch to an affected or carrier dog and still produce only carriers or clears. So how is the gene pool being compromised? Doesn't make any sense to me. You cannot gurantee that a genetically affected puppy won't eventually become clinically affected. It's not fair to sell an affected puppy to anyone, whether they know it or not. Come on, let's at least wipe out one disease because we can! Granted it's not as serious as cardio (Unless you have a VWD clinically Affected dog) but let's eradicate it.

Reactions: Dobe_Mom
1 - 5 of 5 Posts