Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We’re thinking ahead to River’s spay in about 2 months, so I had the vet give me a quote for the VWD test. It was $360 just for the test! Is this a common price point, so I don’t waste time calling around? All the threads on the test price were old, so I want to see what others are paying these days!
 

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
Joined
·
14,152 Posts
Ouch. Do you know River's genetic vWD status? If she is clear or carrier, then they really don't need to do an ELISA test in-house. If she is genetically affected, it would depend on if she is clinically affected.

If you don't know her genetic vWD status, it's easy enough to order a test yourself. Gensol charges $40. VetGen and Vetnostics are a bit more, I think, but not a whole lot.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,143 Posts
And in addition to what Rosemary said--that very expensive Elisa test is not a genetic test and doesn't give you anything except the amount of vWD factor in the blood at the time of the draw. That number can change radically due to illness, a bitch being in season etc. Even if your bitch turns out to be genetically affected a test of how quickly the blood coagulates (it's a little nick in the mucous membrane which is then timed for how long it takes to clot) is just as informative. That can be done immediately before the surgery is performed. Generally the Elisa assay's take two to four days to get results back--a very expensive test which really doesn't give the surgeon the information he needs.

dobebugABTLH


















yLH
 

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
Joined
·
27,751 Posts
Just a little about the genetic test from online--the testing lab sends you a swab/test tube set-up (and complete instructions) Basically you rub the swab over her gums, stick it in the tube, then into a pre-paid shipping box they provide, and mail it. Very easy--the vet doesn't have to be involved at all--he doesn't have to order the test and he doesn't have to draw any blood. They'll send you the results for sure. You may be able to ask them to also send the vet the results too? I'm not certain about that part--but you can always give him a copy.

If the vet wants to draw blood for a vWD test, it is not the genetic test but likely an Elisa test.

And once you know her vWD genetic status, unless she's affected, you won't need to worry about getting another test to check her bleeding status (aside from maybe a bleeding time--the gum nick Bug described above--before a surgery) unless your dog comes down with a disease or major injury that the vet thinks might have affected clotting for other reasons.

The labs are reasonably fast getting results, but I'd go ahead and get that out of the way now.

If you do find out she's affected, the vet will need to know so he can charge more (LOL.) Actually vets do like to have certain supplies on hand before an elective surgery on a vWD affected dog, so the surgery would likely cost more. And you could always make a decision that maybe you won't spay her after all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
We got Loki genetic tested online for about 60$, Sept 2020. He is affected. Then, the challenge was to find a neuter vet, that became very expensive -750$!- because I honestly wanted them to know and be prepared. Btw Loki does not seem to have a discernible clotting problem, he does gets quite rambunctious in the brambles, gets small cuts etc. Do you have the status/info of your pups parents? Are you waiting for her to hit maturity before spay?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You all are so helpful, thank you! Duh, if her ears are cropped, the previous owner should know if she had any clotting problems! I contacted her this morning, and she gave me the vet’s information (who did the crop), and said there were no issues. 👍🏻

I don’t have health test info, though I know the breeder she came from. River is 9 months old and going through her first heat right now, so we will have her spayed about two months post heat ending.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,143 Posts
You all are so helpful, thank you! Duh, if her ears are cropped, the previous owner should know if she had any clotting problems! I contacted her this morning, and she gave me the vet’s information (who did the crop), and said there were no issues. 👍🏻

I don’t have health test info, though I know the breeder she came from. River is 9 months old and going through her first heat right now, so we will have her spayed about two months post heat ending.
If you know the breeder she came from you could make a call and ask for the vWD status of the sire and dam--sometimes that's all you need to know to determine what the offsprings status is.

If either parent is vWD clear--all puppies would be either clear or carrier (even if the other parent is affected). If both parent are vWD affected all puppies will be affected--that is the only situation where I'd would pay for an Elisa vWD factor test and I'd still want the mucosal nick done immediately before surgery--most Dobes are not clinical--that is to say not bleeders even when they are affected. Both parents carriers--then you want a gene test to know what the puppy's vWD status is because it could be clear, carrier or affected--without a gene test you just don't know.

dobebug
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top