Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of Von Rein Dobermans in Ohio, or have one of their pups? I would love to know more about your experience as we're thinking of getting a pup from them!

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I just did a simple google search and researched this breeder. I hate, Hate, HATE, when breeders purposely mislead buyers by putting DCM clear. It's bull, they're lying, they know they're lying and they're doing it on purpose. That almost makes me as angry as a breeder breeding albino Dobermans! The DNA test for the DCM genes have shown to have zero impact on cardio in Euros. I saw zero holter and echoing of the heart which means they're potentially breeding dobes that have cardio.

I also don't see where they work their dogs. I see some UKC showing but not sure if it's them or puppy buyers and not sure if they have even UKC Champions which is pretty easy to get, my male got his UKC champion in 2 days of showing.

Their ear posting sucks, one of the easiest things to do especially if you're a breeder. How can they mentor you when they can be bothered to post correctly themselves?

I don't support breeders that allow puppy buyers to pick their puppy. The breeder knows the puppies best and should place them accordingly. also, Look at the May 16th FB post, a few of those puppies look sickly! That's NOT what a healthy 8 week old puppies should look like. Also, they seem to have puppies a lot, over breeding dogs isn't ok. Also, how old is their oldest dog? That would be a question I would ask them bc it will tell you how "disposable" their dogs are.

I know you said you researched some of the dogs but did you research the cause and age of death? I think that will scare you more so than the inbreeding part.

Good luck, my best advice is to go to a dog show and see all of the different types of dobes, American, South American, Euro... you maybe surprised. If you think you're still dead set on a Euro. I'd import after researching the breeders and their lines. There's VERY few American breeders with pure Euro. lines that are worth a damn.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
aw thanks Gretch_Red for breaking this down for me. I was scrolling through their facebook page again and actually saw they did breed a white doberman couple of years ago :/ And I believe this is their first European Doberman litters they're doing. Yea, I'm beginning to think it's going to be pretty hard to find a responsible, reputable, and pure Euro line breeders in the States.

Thanks for your time! :)

·
Super Moderator
15,376 Posts
aw thanks Gretch_Red for breaking this down for me. I was scrolling through their facebook page again and actually saw they did breed a white doberman couple of years ago :/ And I believe this is their first European Doberman litters they're doing. Yea, I'm beginning to think it's going to be pretty hard to find a responsible, reputable, and pure Euro line breeders in the States.

Thanks for your time! :)
I'll say!

Good luck if you can. It might even be harder than finding a reputable American show line breeder willing to sell a natural eared pup.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have contacted Von Rein Dobermans (I cant recall her name). She was very nice and knowledgeable of the breed. She also seemed very involved with her puppies and dogs with bringing them to shows and socializing them at a young age which is super important for them. She listed off a long list of different tests that she runs on her adults including a 24 holter, other cardio, hips, elbows, among other. From what I heard from her I was pretty impressed. She just stated that her mother dog lost her pups :( so she will have to wait until she comes around again.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I have contacted Von Rein Dobermans (I cant recall her name). She was very nice and knowledgeable of the breed. She also seemed very involved with her puppies and dogs with bringing them to shows and socializing them at a young age which is super important for them. She listed off a long list of different tests that she runs on her adults including a 24 holter, other cardio, hips, elbows, among other. From what I heard from her I was pretty impressed. She just stated that her mother dog lost her pups :( so she will have to wait until she comes around again.

As sickly as her puppies looked I would want to see proof of any health testing that she claims and then take it to my vet to have them verify if it's real.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,150 Posts
Not to cast aspersions on Von Rein.....I’m not saying THEY are being doing this. But just for you to know....it IS a well-known ploy of some disreputable puppy breeders to accept folk’s puppy deposits and then suddenly the breeding doesn’t take, or the mom loses the pups, or......and the buyer can kiss their deposit goodbye.

Generally you shouldn’t have to put down a deposit until the puppies are on the ground, and the breeder has a good idea how many there are and whether they are all healthy little pups.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Charismaticdobermans.com- This is a breeder I obtained Hoss from located near Gainesville Florida. Below is general information from their website.

We have been owned Dobermans since 1978 and began breeding the occasional litter in 1981 starting with Rosevale lines. Over time our preference in Doberman type tended more towards the FCI European Dobermann and we began importing from Europe. Our goal in breeding is to produce elegant Dobermans of substance that are healthy and long-lived and most suitable for family dogs/guardians, capable of light work such as obedience and agility, and that retain some protective instinct. We are not a large kennel and our puppies are whelped and raised in our home.

·
Super Moderator
15,376 Posts
Diane,

I know you're trying to be helpful but Charismatic is not a breeder many here would recommend due to the lack of titling and the limited health testing the breeder does. I don't see any cardiac testing (holter/echo) being done. As you might know DCM is a huge killer in dobermans and we should expect breeders to do everything possible to avoid breeding dogs with the disease.

http://www.dobermantalk.com/breeding-breeders/4944-charismatic-dobermans-anyone.html

http://www.dobermantalk.com/breeding-breeders/168426-charismatic-dobermans.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a puppy from Von Rein. She is currently 55 pounds/8 months old. She's smart, even tempered, and very energetic. Amanda (the owner) is very knowledgeable and it's clear she is not in it for the money. I got my puppy back in June and ever since then Amanda has always been available to answer any questions I've had. I personally visited her home when I picked up my puppy and her dogs all live indoors with the family and are well taken care of. You can PM me if you'd like more info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
***** PLEASE BUYERS BEWARE******
In September of 2017 I contacted Amanda in regards to purchasing a puppy from her. Unfortunately she did not have any puppies available but she told me about a young white male she was looking to place. I described my situation to her and she felt he would be the perfect fit. I am 67, llive alone and surviving on my limited retirement (my husband passed a few years ago) and I could not make the drive from California so she requested I mail her a Cashiers check and hire a pet currier. I mailed her a cashiers check right away in full and she cashed it the following day after receiving it. I found a professional pet currier and hired her to pick up my new baby and deliver him (my children are grown and my husband passed away). I was incredibly excited to have a new best friend I felt safe with and to no longer be alone. I gave my currier Amanda’s contact info to schedule the pickup. When the currier contacted Amanda, Amanda informed her she had changed her mind. I contacted Amanda immediately and she informed me she changed her mind and sold him to her trainer. I was devastated. Amanda told me she would return my money. A few weeks went by and I had yet to receive my refund. I contacted Amanda again and she apologized and explained she had already spent the money and that she was trying to sell her ponies so she could pay me back. I tried to understand and I told her I could take payments if I had to. I never received anything. She stopped taking my calls and as of April of 2018 she has yet to refund me any of my money or offer me a puppy. My money was stolen and I was unable to buy another. I was SCAMMED! Please be carful and do not send her any money.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,150 Posts
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Feedback from people about the breeders and dogs they have contact with is very important.

But at least you did not end up with an albino doberman (That is what white dobes are). It's very poor consolation, I know....but whites come with a lot of health problems (photophobia--bright light, even ordinary sunlight can be painful for them. They also have an increased risk of skin cancer). They often do not have very good temperaments either; they can be unpredictable and fearful...not a good combination in a dog.

Dobermans can be a very expensive breed to own. Starting out with a dog that you know has some health problems built-in because of their breeding (a white dobe, for example) almost guarantees that you will have more vet bills than you have planned for. Sometimes the cost of purchasing a doberman is the smallest part of your expenses.

I would advise you to do some research into dobermans; this website would be a good place to start https://www.dpca.org/. And feel free to ask us if you have questions or want to talk about dobes with dobe people :) That's one thing we're here for.

If, after doing a bit of reading and maybe even meeting other owners of dobermans and their dogs, you really think a doberman would be a good fit for you, you could look at a dobe rescue for your perfect companion. The staff evaluates each dog and knows a bit of the dog's history so you can be matched with a dog that will work in your home. You will pay a rescue fee, but that is much less than the cost of a doberman from a breeder.

They are not a dog for everyone. But if you can provide what a dobe needs, there's no better dog (says a very biased person).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for all the wonderful information. The Dog I purchased was the dog she recommended for me. I was not informed of any health issues or possible future health issues. Although, I did find out that he was returned from a previous sale. $800 of my payment was supposed to go to the previous owner but she was never paid either and is now also forced moved to take the legal route. I’m in great fear of making another purchase and being robbed again. I will look into local rescues where I can meet people in person and see that it is an actual real dog for sale or adoption and definitely not a white. Thank you again so much!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts