Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm a bit concerned.

My beloved Rosa just vomited 2 times today. She is about 10 weeks old. She got her 2nd shoot last Tuesday. No diarrhea so far, just vomit.

I got the impression is because teething and not able to chew properly? She vomit about 1 cup of food each time, at morning and just recently and the food she vomit was almost intact, not chewed or soft. In the morning she did that with my wife. My wife just wait a bit and then the puppy finished the food. What I did just min ago was put some water and make it wet. She ate and no vomit again.

Should I be concern?

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,549 Posts
Hard to say from a distance--but in general, don't feed her right after she's been running around madly and don't encourage her to zoom around madly right after she eats. Watch how fast she is eating too--if they gulp it down, sometimes it comes right back up, especially if they get all excited.

You should also be feeding a young puppy three times a day--their tummies can be tiny compared to their appetite.

Is she drinking water normally or does it come right back up too? Puppies dehydrate easily--you need to watch her fluid intake and outtake. And if she is vomiting up everything she eats or drinks, that can be a sign of a real problem.

Is her appetite normal? Is she full of energy or lethargic? Does she seem to be in pain or have tender spots?

The bug-a-boo that everyone thinks of with a vomiting dog is that she has eaten something bad for her or that there is something is blocking her gut somewhere. Parvo is another huge problem for doberman puppies. Those can be life threatening emergencies. You should be watching very very closely for any difference in her behavior, appetite, pee and poop patterns....

Provided no diarrhea develops, no more vomiting, normal behavior and appearance--in short, you have a well looking and acting puppy with no more problems, you're probably safe. But if she seems not quite right, or your instincts are bothering you about something, go ahead and take her to a vet. And definitely take her in if she starts to develop other worrisome symptoms. It never hurts anything to be extra cautious with a puppy's care (except your pocketbook). *sigh*

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mel,

She is eating but really slow and not finishing the bowl. Like I said before, I feed her min later but this time I wet her food a bit to make it easier for her stomach and teeth. It worked...so far ... I also gave her water and drank considerable amount of water, but she usually poo after meal and nothing yet.

Yes, she looks lethargic and slow today.

Her morning poo was hard and no weird colors.

·
Super Moderator
25,549 Posts
The lethargic and slow part bothers me.

Sounds like she's drinking all right, eating is just a bit off, could be a sore mouth, but...other possiblities.............have you found bits of a toy or something torn apart where she might have eaten part of it, string, cloth, some stuffing? Any plants she can reach that she's nibbled on, sticks, pebbles? Household chemicals? If you pinch the skin on her back or neck, does it stay "pinched" (tented)--that can show signs of dehydration.

But you're there with her and I'm not. I think I would probably go in if she started with diarrhea, if she keeps throwing up, if she gets unusually slow, sleepy, or seems to be in pain. I'm afraid the call is up to you.

Maybe someone else can chime in??

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Wow! I've never been so happy in my life of seeing dog's poo, hahaha.

She just did it in my backyard. No diarrhea or weird color...I still wonder why she vomit or the reason of that. Teething is my only explanation.

·
Premium Member
9,795 Posts
I'm a bit concerned.

My beloved Rosa just vomited 2 times today. She is about 10 weeks old. She got her 2nd shoot last Tuesday. No diarrhea so far, just vomit.

I got the impression is because teething and not able to chew properly? She vomit about 1 cup of food each time, at morning and just recently and the food she vomit was almost intact, not chewed or soft. In the morning she did that with my wife. My wife just wait a bit and then the puppy finished the food. What I did just min ago was put some water and make it wet. She ate and no vomit again.

Should I be concern?
I haven't been through this whole thread yet but a little information about the stuff that it probably isn't being caused by. Vaccine reactions usually occur shortly after the vaccine is given--so if she got the vaccine on Tuesday and reacted to it (the vomiting) you would have most likely seen that either the same day or the following day.

Teething is sort of unlikely at her age. She's 10 weeks old--and they don't usually start teething for a few weeks yet. Look in her mouth--they lose baby teeth first at the very front--the 6 upper and lower incisors are the first to fall out and be replaced by adult teeth.

And dogs don't really chew their food anyway--they are actually designed to be grab, snatch and swallow and have the dentition to prove it.

My rule of thumb on puppies is that if they aren't eating well (or if their eating habits have changed) or if they are running an elevated temperature or are lethargic and not playful they go to the vet to make sure it isn't something serious. With puppies I don't wait long.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Vomit again today... and pop, at same time ... :-( ...no diarrhea but really soft ... and inside the kennel just after wife brought her to backyard.

What it's confusing me is that wife, by mistake or forgot, left a chewy/soft bone, yogurt taste... and this morning was gone. I don't know if that creates the problem again.

Today in the morning, she refused to eat but wanted lot of water. She barely ate. Now, close to lunch hour, she vomited and pop.

I am really confused. It does not look too bad to me, like Parvo? God forbidden, but I know it's not normal either.

·
Premium Member
9,795 Posts
Vomit again today... and pop, at same time ... :-( ...no diarrhea but really soft ... and inside the kennel just after wife brought her to backyard.

What it's confusing me is that wife, by mistake or forgot, left a chewy/soft bone, yogurt taste... and this morning was gone. I don't know if that creates the problem again.

Today in the morning, she refused to eat but wanted lot of water. She barely ate. Now, close to lunch hour, she vomited and pop.

I am really confused. It does not look too bad to me, like Parvo? God forbidden, but I know it's not normal either.
If you aren't going to take her to the vet to get her checked for whatever is causing the vomiting and pop (is the supposed to be poop?--I don't know what pop is...) then I would eliminate all treats for awhile.

Most treats--including chews are the equivalent of junk food. They can make a dog vomit and they can certainly cause them to have soft stools or diarrhea. AND like other junk food--they fill up space that is better devoted to wholesome food.

·
Super Moderator
25,549 Posts
Vet trip indicated :(
It's possible she has eaten something that's just causing some kind of partial blockage or stomach upset--it would be better to check that out. A fair number of vets are open on Saturday--if you wait til tomorrow and she suddenly gets worse, you'll be agonizing over whether to go to an emergency vet or wait til Monday--it would probably be better to go now and have her checked out.
If the vet sends her home because he can't find anything, I would ask him what symptoms would mean you should take her into an e-vet during the night or on Sunday, as well as when she should have a repeat check-up if the current symptoms continue.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Does not sound like Parvo. But not good for pups to continue to vomit. SOmething is not right with her. Gastritis or as mentioned a partial blockage. A Vet trip for an examination and consultation is in order.
Big Hugz to your Rosa!!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does not sound like Parvo. But not good for pups to continue to vomit. SOmething is not right with her. Gastritis or as mentioned a partial blockage. A Vet trip for an examination and consultation is in order.
Big Hugz to your Rosa!!!
I think I'm gonna change Vet. I called 2 times and check if I can go there (was still open) They said is fully booked but she was going to call; that was 2 hrs ago ... still waiting.

She is not vomiting anymore (vomit once at lunch hour) and is drinking water. So, will keep and eye on her and I already identified an animal hospital that is works 24/7.

Yeah, like DLS mentioned I do not think is Parvo. I was 16 years old when my other puppy died from Parvo ... will never forget the experience ... , smell...look... etc, really sad and horrible!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Is their an emergency vet you can take the pup to. She may have eaten something which is causing a blockage, this can be very dangerous. Please keep us posted. good Luck !

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:thumbs-up:

getting better...I think was the diet and upset stomach ... still keeping an eye on her but no vomit and hungry again ...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts