Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Ace's Human
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there, old friends! I finally found the login to get back on here.

I hope you all are well! Ace and I have been surviving the past crazy year, and finally found our way back to training. He was suppose to complete his BCAT title back in March 2020, but we all know what happened there. Since then, I got married, started a new career that i LOVE, and generally just navigating all the new things the pandemic brought along.

This year, Ace and I finally got back into the swing of things. We enjoyed all the FASTCat races, and knocked out his BCAT title. Since then we have started obedience classes, and are going to shoot for his BN title next. From there we will see where the journey takes us, but our trainer has been encouraging us to shoot higher in obedience.

FASTCat trials were fun. I had to wear gloves to contain this beast that my dog became. He's never been prey driven, but that lure worked its magic on him and he fell in love. He averages 23mph, so hes certainly not the fastest, but I love seeing him have so much fun. Totally worth it, and we will continue to do those as available. Obedience class was interesting at the start. Ace doesn't get to be around many dogs, so he doesn't know how to act yet. He barks and whines at them trying to pull me over to him. We do a lot of distraction work in those moments, (touch/look at me) etc, and its starting to work better. But the first night of class the trainer told us we were not ready to be in her class.... the beginner novice class. I was a bit taken aback, because she hadn't even seen him work yet, but I guess I can't blame her for seeing how he walked in. By the end of the night, the trainer apologized and told us we were probably ready to compete after some fine tuning. So we have been working with her on just that. Keeping his attention is the biggest thing. Our 4th class in, and he was laying down next to dogs with his complete attention on me. Very proud of him and how smart he is. We still have a lot of work to do, but I am so thankful to have such a well rounded dog who lets me do anything with him.

He was diagnosed with low thyroid, and we are still battling some skin issues but its not as bad as it was. Otherwise he is healthy as can be!

So thats all for us, figured I would include dog tax. Ace was the Dog of Honor at my wedding walking in with the best man, and stole the show!

Super Moderator
Glad to hear things are going well! Always nice to see someone dedicated to training and working with their dog and keeping it up. I agree, more photos!

Premium Member
Welcome back -- Oh dang it - What's your name , LOL

Congrats on getting married - Need pictures of Ace at the wedding !

Good to hear from you Chesa !

Ace's Human
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll try to get some more pictures up soon! Believe it or not, it POURED the entire day of our wedding. It stopped for about 15minutes which was right around the ceremony time so we ran outside, got hitched and ran for cover. Ace is definitely not a fan of rain, so he didn't make many photos. :(

Glad to hear things are going well! Always nice to see someone dedicated to training and working with their dog and keeping it up. I agree, more photos!
I really have enjoyed our obedience classes so far! I found that a lot of things I was already working on, but needed that extra guidance on how to enforce them and really get his mind in the game. Working with the trainers has been invaluable, and showing is something I never expected to want to do. However, I am super excited to get his BN title. Might be time to join my kennel club as a member.

We still have an application on hold with DVDPA. Our home remodel has hit some snags thanks to the pandemic. We are in the weird spot of being physically ready for a dog, but with all the potential changes to come with the remodel (whenever it happens) just slightly worries us. Granted,.... our remodel could be pushed off a year or two now, so its like do we just stop making excuses and add a girl to the family or wait? Husband has said that he doesn't particularly want another dog at the moment, but wont leave me if I come home with one. What's funniest is his immediate reaction when I show him postings. Its never "no, not now" and always "how far away is she? what does she look like?"... Maybe we should just do it. Then add in the fact we want to have kids soon... its just a weird holding pattern right now.

Super Moderator
Eh, maybe the time isn't quite right...I kind of feel like when it's right, you feel it. Maybe you could try fostering and see how you like having two?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts