Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have any info of dogs being allergic to Vitamin A? I tried looking it up on the internet but there isn't much there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was training with Odin and I was feeding him Sweet potato based dog treats and he broke out. He does the same with carrots and I know they are both high in Vitamin A. So far those two things are the only things that make him break out and someone mentioned that maybe he was allergic to Vitamin A. Tried looking up some information and haven't found anything.

Once he breaks out its gone within a day, just curious and trying to look up some more info on the matter and making note of things he shouldn't eat if in fact he is allergic to Vitamin A, or if its something else.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,405 Posts
Weird, since Vitamin A is often used in treating dog allergies.

Were the carrots a manufactured dog treat as well?

I know carrots and sweet potatoes are high in carbs but that shouldn't mean anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,778 Posts
I would be very surprised if the Vitamin A was the issue. Try feeding a reasonable amount of liver (or a spoonful of cod liver oil), and see what happens... liver is very high in Vitamin A, and if that was the issue I would expect a reaction.

Do you ever feed any fruits?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,246 Posts
You can have overdoses of Vitamin A since it is one of the fat soluable vitamins. There used to be cautions on cod liver oil which is a great source of Vitamin A and has so much Vitamin A that you can end up with an overdose pretty easily.

The symptoms of an overdose are extensive and can also be attributed to other things. I'd suspect that if the treats are not just dried sweet potato or dried carrots but rather something made out of either vegetable that it would be more like one of the other ingredients.

I doubt that it's an allergy to the Vitamin--much more likely to be something else--even if it was causing the reaction it would be more likely symptomatic of an overdose than an allergy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes I started training with carrots when I first got him and he broke out about the third time I did the training. I didn't know what it was at first, thought it was the costume that I put on him and I finally figured it out when I did the training again with carrots and he broke out the night of. The carrots were raw and not in a treat.

I feed him veggies and fruit and so far no reaction other than the carrots and the sweet potato treat. It was the Newmans Own all Natural dog treat. I will try the spoon full of cod liver oil and see what that does.

I dont think it was an overdose because when I fed the sweet potato treat it was only a couple. With the raw carrots it was a couple, nothing like the whole bag or anything.

When he breaks out he does't itch or anything and the hives don't seem to bother him. They are gone within a day, I am just trying to pin point what I think he might be allergic to and try to find out as much info as I can so that if in fact I do an allergy test I have a basis to go off of.

Its not like he breaks out often either, just the times I fed him the carrots and the SP treats. Thanks for the responses far, they do help point me in the right direction and figuring things out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no, when he is inside I don't have one on him. When he is outside he just wears a normal flat collar.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,405 Posts
The Newmans is carried by Walmart just as an FYI, so I'd question the ingredient source anyway.

Hope you figure it out. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top