Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm surfing the web and I come across this video:

6quGUyBwM9s

The owner is saying this is all play. Maybe I'm just used to seeing laid back Dobes play with their owners and other dogs, but to me this dog looks a little stressed out. Any behavior enthusiasts or experts help me out on picking up minute details in this dogs body language?

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Unless he was taught that bark, I would very much doubt that dog is happy at all, that's the same face and actions mabel makes when she is on the high end of mildly uncomfortable and just about to become highly uncomfortable and is telling someone or another dog to back off and leave me be!

ETA: I read his thing under the video but I don't consider asking him to basically do a bark and hold playing, work is work and play is play, plus that didn't look like the typical barks I have seen, he still seemed uncomfortable.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Why would anyone want their dog to be that uncomfortable? It is clear the dog is stressing. If they only knew.....

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm new to analyzing dog behavior, but I want to take a stab at it to see if I'm right. Things I noticed:

-backing away
-defensive-looking crouch posture
-ears all the way back
-very high lipped snarl
-the dog keeps looking to his left (looking for escape route?) and when he backs up, it is towards the left

To me that's what makes the dog seem uncomfortable and scared. Am I right, dog behavior experts, and is there anything I missed noticing?

I looked up some schutzhund bark and hold videos on youtube for more perspective, and none of them show the dog with this kind of body language. In those videos, the dogs all looked excited and driven. But this dog just looks agitated.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
When Amy was a puppy, I use to wind her up (big time) to build her confidence through play....using the words "Dad gonna get you".
- she started out life, as a sensitive wee girl

She use to do a spin around in the living room, maybe run around the coffee table, and crouch down on her front legs barking her head off at me.
Then sitting on the floor, I usually did two things:
a) Dad would laugh out loud, and call her up onto me, for a little hugging
b) or Dad would say, "GEE-GEE-GEE"...sending her off in circles, to return with her big girl face & loud barking at me
Never once, did Amy back up from me (that she trusted) or turn her head and look for an escape exit.
- I was also building up her drive and constant eye focus
Back then I didn't even look to see if her hackles where up...but I doubt they were, as it was totally clear to Amy that Dad was only playing with her.
- I think when we played, Amy's ears were standing up more.

Jennie MN - I like your list and makes for some intellegent observations and talking points.
It is only my quess, that because she is backing up and looking for an exit strategy, all is not fun and well, with this dober in the video clip.

I know my girl once enountered a 150 lb male that wanted to mount her (years ago), and Amy acted serious...like the bark growl in the dober video.
Amy barking similar with some persuasive nipping (added in) on the disrespecting and larger male.
- Dad was very proud of Amy that day, as she had the confidence to protect herself...with Dad standing by and ready to intervene if needed
(and it all started with some intense & fun puppy training, years earlier...that I could turn on/off at will)

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
The way I read the body language and the bark it is not fun and games but a dog that is stressed, fearful and wanting this to stop. Stupid owner can't read what the dog is telling him. Is this person a member on DT?

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The way I read the body language and the bark it is not fun and games but a dog that is stressed, fearful and wanting this to stop. Stupid owner can't read what the dog is telling him. Is this person a member on DT?
I'm not sure, the name rings a bell, but this is just a random video I came across and just wanted some imput on what the owner is saying vs what I'm seeing.

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
He agree that he looks more stressed than playful. Backing away, ears down, crouching, and a choppy, high pitched bark look more like he's trying to convince the owner to back off.

And yeah, I do remember a dog named Capone on here, but not the owner's name.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
I see a fearful dog trying to avoid whatever is provoking that behavior.... Shame really if this is the owner creating it. Disaster waiting to happen.

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
He agree that he looks more stressed than playful. Backing away, ears down, crouching, and a choppy, high pitched bark look more like he's trying to convince the owner to back off.

And yeah, I do remember a dog named Capone on here, but not the owner's name.
I meant to say that "I" agree. My grammer isn't that bad, but my typing skills evidently are.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Honestly if I ever came across a dog barking like that I would back away quickly. That is one extremely tense, scared looking dog. Before she even started barking I knew it wasn't going to be a play bark as her paw is raised. Odin does this a lot so I had to learn what it meant. As far as I am aware it can mean two things; one the dog is unsure of the situation or two its an extremely confident dog which would usually be leading a pack and it pointing in the direction of the kill they are going to get!

Quite frankly that owner is an idiot for persisting with their dog when its blatantly obvious that dog isn't wanting to play!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts