Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is mostly about raw feeding and vets. Today I took my dobergirl to the vet just to check on her ears, feet, last set of vaccs and her growth. This vet (out of the four I've been to in the last 5 months) actually had the coolest staff and set up. Everyone liked working there and she even had a paddock with horses in it on the premises!
The staff wanted to pet Annie because as a Dobe up here in Alaska she is a novelty. She got lots of treats but had to work for it. Office rule. Very cool... I couldn't help but be a tad disappointed when she asked what I was doing for Annies teeth. I told her that I fed RMB... She got a very concerned look (which I was prepared for) and started to explain to me that I shouldn't play russian roulette with RMB because she removes lodged bones out of intestinal tracks all the time... *sigh* Have any of you EVER had that problem that feed raw? I have fed her raw since I got her as an 8 week old pup and my Brittany has been on raw since last March... they are doing great! I just don't get it I guess...:help_up_2

·
Extraordimary
4,976 Posts
I'm not questioning your choice of what to feed, so please don't think that.

However, you've got a whole 9 months of experience with this. Do you think they have none? In a vet practice that sees who knows how many dogs for who knows how many years now, are you questioning their experience which is obviously greater than yours? Do you think they lied that they have had to remove lodged bones?

I'm just saying that their experience on a much wider playing field than yours is different. Doesn't make them wrong. I'm not saying you're wrong either. They offered you some valuable input, that's all. Then the choice is yours. I just don't think it's fair for you to question or judge their experience just because it's different from your limited experience.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Is rmb a brand of raw. I don't know but my vet incourages raw diet. so not all vets don't like it. I wonder if something else was wrong with the other dogs . because raw in the wild would be natural.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Raw Meaty Bone from what I've gathered in reading posts.
Try the raw diet thread in Health topic.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Mary-

See, you read some of my mind, I swear! I was thinking that... I told her that I NEVER feed COOKED bones and she wasn't swayed at all. But then I started thinking that there are a lot of people that feed raw and wolves eat raw, etc, etc...

I still do research about feeding raw ALL the time, just to make sure that my girls are taken care of properly. I really like this vet, I was just a tad disheartened that she wasn't a proponent of raw which was my point in the original post (pretty sure it was as clear as mud :D).

As far as the vet lying to me, no I don't think she did at all. I'm sure she has had to remove bones from intestinal tracks along several strange items over the years.

I am going to keep feeding raw and keep constantly monitoring my dogs to make sure everything is okay.

I think your reply was assertive, not aggressive. I'm okay with that. ;)

Regards,

Cat

PS.
I'm curious, what do you feed your dogs?

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
I don't feed raw but I do give them raw bones once a week for thier teeth and find it does help. My vet doesn't seem to care but does say keep an eye on them when they are eating which I do.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Cat --- try not to feel discouraged... and please remember that vets find all kinds of things in dogs stomachs.... rocks, socks, tinsel, coins etc. etc. The fact that bones sometimes can impact should not stop you from feeding RMB. Dogs can choke on kibble too, but people still feed it, right? Do what you know is right for your dog. Go to [email protected] for support if you haven't already.

Ann --- you're lucky to have a vet who's open to the old way of feeding dogs, good for you! :)

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Cat

PS.
I'm curious, what do you feed your dogs?[/QUOTE]

I'm right there with you Cat... :)

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Not all Vets are great and reliable unfortunately!
Years ago, I had a Vet that told me "brand x" dog food is the ONLY good food to feed, and didn't mind being pushy about it.........and it just so happens that it was the brand they sold at their office, makes him money is what I thought.
Look at all the chop jobs done on ears from Vets that claim to know how, but don't.......they still get paid no matter what the dog looks like after.
That is what forums & places like this are good for, if anyone tells you something you aren't sure of........ask around! Whether it is a Human doctor or pet doctor!

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
some vets are on the ball :)

·
Extraordimary
4,976 Posts
Cat J said:
I think your reply was assertive, not aggressive. I'm okay with that. ;)

PS.
I'm curious, what do you feed your dogs?
Glad you read my comment in the manner in which it was intended.

As for my dogs, they mainly eat kibble. But they do get raw chicken wings and backs, raw turkey necks, raw marrow bones, raw soup bones, lightly boiled eggs with shell, yogurt, cottage cheese, sardines, raw veggies, etc from time to time.

I did home cook for a lymphoma patient earlier this year for a while but Evo ended up agreeing with him more than the home cooked. While he was on home cooked, he was eating ground beef, turkey, chicken and pork, organ meat (chicken, beef and pork liver), boiled eggs, and an assortment of steamed green, leafy veggies (kale, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, etc) along with a small amount of blueberries, garlic, etc.

So, I guess I have travelled in 3 feeding worlds - kibble, raw a bit, and home cooked.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Cat J--Two thumbs up for having a super positive attitude towards the whole situation.

My vets have never agreed with me in regards to feeding anything raw to Princess. I have been feeding her raw since I felt like her diet was missing something due to her health and overall appearance. Well all that changed as soon as I switched to raw.

Naveen

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
This is true. I was told MANY years ago NEVER to give my dogs raw by a vet. Why I asked, I was told they would turn into a different dogs and never be the same, like wild dogs in the woods. That was the last time I went to that vet. Research is the biggest key to all. For example my doctor wanted to shove tubes here and there and take a piece of my stomach for testing for an ongoing problem. I didn't care for the idea. The Internet can be a wonderful tool and can also be destructive, one obviously has to cipher through the ****e. Long story short went to my homeopathic gal, bought some things and walla no invasive tubes etc. Went back to doctor amazing I am fine he asked what had I been doing told him and he proceeded to tell me that homeopathic and cleanses etc. are bunk and it was just coincidental my condition was gone and that was from a man who couldn't help me himself with meds etc. and was going to the next level of me being under anesthetic. For example healthy food and eating it's good for you but like anything else in excess can be destructive. wow where did all that come from

1 - 14 of 14 Posts