Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm intensely dissapointed that my 7 1/2 week old Dobe apparently isn't a good candidate for having his ears stand. I'm not sure why he isn't even a candidate for a shorter, military style crop.

I've included a picture of him at 5 weeks, I'll update later with pics of him now.

Was my vet right? Anyone have experience with shorter ears being made to stand?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Where do you live? No, they ears are not too short to crop in my opinion. Also, I would not try and use a regular vet to crop your puppys' ears. You need to use a vet that SPECIALIZES in ear cropping.

·
Registered
625 Posts
^^^ Agree.

OP - If you post where you are located, the members may be able to assist you in finding a good vet to do a crop.

How long have you had your pup, or is he still with the breeder? Most breeders tend to crop around this time and don't place the puppies in homes until after the ears are healed and ready to post.

Cute little guy, what's his name?

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I'd look on it as a good thing this particular vet refused to crop. It's pretty obvious they don't know what they're talking about, you'd almost certainly have wound up with a really disgusting crop if you'd gone ahead and used them. Things happen for a reason a lot of the time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Edmonton Alberta, and this vet (Greenbank) was recommended by the Doberman Club of Alberta members I met with recently. My breeder recommended Uncas, but that vet wasn't available when I was calling to organize this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is Alfie, and the breeder didn't take care of the cropping because all the other pups in the litter weren't going to be cropped, and she said the majority of her pups just aren't cropped anymore.

I took him early because Greenbank wanted to deal with the cropping earlier than later.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Hopefully some Canadian breeders can chime in on good Ear Crop Vets in Canada. The only ear crop vet I've heard of in Canada is:

J. Warren Staples DVM
Staples Animal Hospital
377 Commissioners Road W
London, Ontario
519-472-9301

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Your puppy's ears are not too short to crop! Most Dobes are cropped between 8 and 10 weeks of age and some are often done as young as 7 weeks. if your pup is 7-1/2 weeks, you still have a few weeks to find an experienced vet to crop your puppy...please do not go with a military crop - that's just too short! :)

Jan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The vet's opinion was that the ears couldn't completely cover the eyes, and that there was a pocket. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from reading on here I've seen other dog's pocket issues solved.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Contact Ed Palsat at Baystar Dobermans or Tracy MacLean at Shayera Dobermans, both in Alberta. Ask them for a recommendation. If they mention the same Vets, tell them your story and ask for advice. Sounds to me like you need a different Vet. Please don't get a military crop. There is no reason why you should have to. The ear length has nothing to do with it and they will grow longer in the next couple of weeks. The stiffness and quality of the ear leather has a lot more to do with a nice crop than the length. I have never seen a Doberman whose ears were too short to crop. Many of my Euro dogs have had shorter ears instead of the houndy kind seen in some of the American lines ans hey still looked fine in the show ring.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
In Canada we are battling the ear crop and tail dock issues right now.. It has been banned by vets in 4 provinces! so the vet your talking about is more then likely against it and is trying to discourage you from doing it by comming up with that Liam excuse! Your puppies ears are find for cropping. I'm in ontario (so i cant help you in your area) but I would contact rep breeders in your area and ask them who they use.
Don't let him bully you if you want the ears done thats your choice. But please find a good vet. JMHO

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Dr. Douglas is in B.C. at Newton Animal Hospital. He is a very well known, many of the show breeders use him.

I would also contact Jessica Wilcock who is a vet at Evergreen Veterinary Hospital, 425-821-9040. She is in Washington however I'm sure she will know croppers in your area.

I agree with others there should be no reason why your puppy cannot be cropped. Why are you choosing a military crop?? There are some nice medium crops that you should have no problem getting them to stand. And IMO most of the time compliment the dog much nicer than a very short crop.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Contact Deb Romans (Gentry) She is in your area. You will find her contact info on the DPCC site.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Find a new vet and I would recommend a better breeder next time. They puppies should leave with ears cropped. Breeders should take full responsiblity for their puppies IMHO

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Hi All, I have been in contact with aeonDobe and she is fine. I personally know the original vet in question is a good experienced cropper, but is very temperamental in what they choose to do and when.

She is going to check out the cropper at the other clinic in the area, and I spoke to her about the pros and cons of it. If she is not 100% comfortable with that clinic, I will refer her to come good experienced croppers in Calgary.

She will also consult with me on aftercare and posting.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Dr. Douglas is in B.C. at Newton Animal Hospital. He is a very well known, many of the show breeders use him.

I would also contact Jessica Wilcock who is a vet at Evergreen Veterinary Hospital, 425-821-9040. She is in Washington however I'm sure she will know croppers in your area.

I agree with others there should be no reason why your puppy cannot be cropped. Why are you choosing a military crop?? There are some nice medium crops that you should have no problem getting them to stand. And IMO most of the time compliment the dog much nicer than a very short crop.
I was going to pipe in, that someone in BC had a good vet at doing it. My female many years ago, was flown in, to do their ears and he did an awesome job and I had them posted in about 6 weeks.

Reactions: Okie-dobie

·
Registered
382 Posts
In Canada we are battling the ear crop and tail dock issues right now.. It has been banned by vets in 4 provinces! so the vet your talking about is more then likely against it and is trying to discourage you from doing it by comming up with that Liam excuse! Your puppies ears are find for cropping. I'm in ontario (so i cant help you in your area) but I would contact rep breeders in your area and ask them who they use.
Don't let him bully you if you want the ears done thats your choice. But please find a good vet. JMHO
Really? Which provinces? I haven't heard anything about this...is it a provincial ban or a vet-elected one?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Your dog's ears are not too short to crop. In fact they will probably stand great and possibly not have to be taped forever and a day. I have a female with longer ears and a long show cut. She had longer ears to start. I also have a 6 month old who had shorter ears and they were cropped as long as possible for her ears. They were easy to post and stand very nicely. The vet who did the crop said her ears were not as long as some Dobes.

You've gotten great advice here and Murrey was so right that you are probably lucky the vet did not go ahead do the crop. Go to the best vet you can find. Do not skimp there as you may be sorry afterwards. Look at the vet's crops on other Dobes or Danes.

If your puppy has shorter ears, I would still ask a vet who does great cropping if s/he will crop as long as possible. Make sure they know what they are doing with the bell.

Don't waste time but you've got some time left. I think 9 weeks to 12 weeks is about the time most breeders crop.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts