Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cancelled Bruno's vet appointment today. And I don't plan on going back to this vet. But I need to get him to the vet by next week. Something about he needs his booster no later then 4-6 weeks or something like that. Since I cancelled today, I need to get him in next week. Anyway, what are some questions I should ask the vet to see if they are good with Dobermans? I know it might seem silly. They're vets and should be good with all animals. But I wasn't pleased with the vet that he saw last. Because she didn't know how to approuch him and she didn't care for him as a timid dog. Just right away mussled him. Which I didn't like at all. I guess I just want someone that see's Doberman's from time to time. Or knows more about them, then just them being a dog. Ya know? Or am I just being a lil too picky? lol

My sister told me of a vet that a few breeders go to. Which I will check out also. But I just wanted to double check here some things I should see before making that final appointment for Bruno.

Also reguarding his leg. Remember I was told it was possibly his CCL (ACL)? Well, after a week or two his leg was fine. But now it's the other one. And since his other leg was fine he's been going out again for his swim/run. So I'm guessing it's not his CCL but more just a muscle or discomfort some where. Because he still is a puppy. I know a few ppl on here said this happened to their dogs around 8-10 months and they just rested the dog for a few weeks and it was better. So I'm hoping this is all it is. Because he LOVES his runs and exercise. But this is deffinently something I want a Vet to also look at.

OKay sorry I rambled LOL. Just wanted to know what everyone's take is on finding a good vet for my boy? :)

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I don't think it's unreasonable to ask questions. You might try talking to some Dobie breeders in your area, see who they recomend you see, or who to stay away from.

I'm lucky. My Vet has Dobermans so she's hip to all their unique quirks. I think it makes a big difference.

·
Premium Member
8,843 Posts
going with good refrences is a start. I've been fairly lucky with vets, so I don't have a ton of advice ... I'm sure some of the others will.

Did you say that he gets sore on his back legs? I can't remember the symptoms. Have they ruled out hip dysplasia? You don't see it a lot in Dobermans, but you do see it some especially from byb dogs.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think it is a good idea to look for the right vet. You both need to trust the person with your dogs life. I am lucky as well, my vet loves my Dobe and the one I had before, (she owns a newfie tho) I would recommend her to any one so I'm sure you'll find a good one, It's certainly worth looking.

·
Banned
675 Posts
It sounds like Bruno's limping could be caused by panosteitis, that is what people meant when they said it happened to their dogs at a similar age and then went away, Not all puppies get it, I haven't - knock on wood - had one that had it. You should have a vet look at it tho.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
micdobe said:
It sounds like Bruno's limping could be caused by panosteitis, that is what people meant when they said it happened to their dogs at a similar age and then went away, Not all puppies get it, I haven't - knock on wood - had one that had it. You should have a vet look at it tho.
I did have a vet look at it. This vet I'm talking of. She didn't suggest anything but the CCL and said it would cost me 2500$ to fix. But she wanted to do xrays first. She didn't even mention that it could be ANYTHING else. This is why I want a vet with experience with Dobes.

I do plan on bringing him to get it checked. Just to make sure what it is and how we can help him. Which is another reason I need to get him to a vet that's trust worthy and not just trying to take my money (which I believe they were).

I did think HD at first. But I don't think that's what it is. I haven't ruled it out tho. Since I have no idea what it could be.

Thanks for the advince. I did get a reference from a breeder for a vet that's about half hour away. I might check that one out. I just want to know that they know what they are dealing with. Ya know? I feel almost silly being picky about a vet. But I just feel it's important to me and Bruno that he's seen by someone that has a lil knowledge on the breed.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
You could try to get a recommendation from your local shelter. They would likely point you in the direction of a good vet. Or you can try to find a service group that has dogs (police, sar...) and they usually have good vets too and are happy to recommend them.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
sundobe said:
You could try to get a recommendation from your local shelter. They would likely point you in the direction of a good vet. Or you can try to find a service group that has dogs (police, sar...) and they usually have good vets too and are happy to recommend them.
Those are both great ideas. I would not have thought of that, but both would be great places to check.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts