Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure some of you have seen where I posted about ear cropping and by Jager having hanging skin under his chin and loose skin over his head etc.. Well, today we took him to a vet that claimed to know how to crop Doberman's ears. Well, when I suggested a longer crop after she suggested a short one, she went on to say he had hound ears and jowels like one as well and that his ears won't stand! She had the nerve to ask me if he was AKC and if I saw his parents, lineage etc.. . And I told her absolutely! I showed her the parents ( as if I needed to prove anything) and then she said he may have more of a Euro lineage. She then said another Vet that crops show Doberman's might would be a better option. She basically admitted that she didn't have the experience or the tools to crop the way I wanted.
What irritates me is that instead of saying she couldn't do the crop I wanted, she had to try and put it off on my puppy, the breeder and whatever else she could pull out of her butt! I guess me mentioning the loose skin under the neck and other places gave her something to run with when I wasn't OK with how she wanted to crop his ears. Does he look mixed?? I've seen other Doberman male puppies look the same and I am just so annoyed right now! I found another vet that actually breeds Dobies and does cropping, so I'm hoping to get him to do it.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Her skin is def loose. But hey she has alot of growing to do. Never thought anything of it other than that. She is a handful but making progress every single day. So smart its truly unreal at times. But other times its 2 steps forward and 5 backwards.
I'm seeing more and more Euro breeds with this. I thought nothing of it until I saw a post and then the vet obviously knowing nothing about the breed. Your girl is beautiful!! I prefer the larger look on a Dobie.
Jager is the same. He is almost too intelligent and he really tries us a lot. The only way he listens is if we are consistent and firm, yet gentle. If we get frustrated, it's over! He is almost 12 weeks now and he can sit, give paw, stay and roll over. He has good and bad days though.
By the way, how long did it take to get her ears to stand?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes they can come with wrinkles.

Capri (I think around 8 weeks old):

And they can grow into the wrinkles, too (Capri, about 5 years old)

Your pup may keep loose lips or some loose neck skin, but it's not the end of the world, unless you were thinking of showing him.

It looks to me like your pup may have a somewhat low ear set--but again, not the end of the world--but that might be what is throwing the vet off. Well, that, and that she doesn't sound like she's got that much experience with dobe pups.
You are absolutely right! With my boxers it was the same. I actually think it gives character. I never thought a thing of it because I saw it often with the European breeds.
She definitely does not and thank God I didn't go forward and let her crop them as she wanted to. With age he is holding them up more at the base. So you think he will be fine with a long crop?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd find the best vet I can who is an experienced dobe cropper and see what they say. A good vet can look a pup's ears and head shape and crop the ears to look their best--every pup is a little bit different..

He certainly is a cute guy.
I agree! I found one an hour from me and I sent in all my info. He is a Doberman breeder as well and I saw pictures of his crops. He does a great job and I think I can trust him if he tells me that they may not stand if the crop is too long. I recall having to work for months with my boxers ears and at times it was very frustrating.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good thing you left her. I had a vet that clearly didn鈥檛 know what she was talking about in the beginning too, thank goodness old my vet came out of retirement.
Yes! She is an awesome vet and truly loves caring for animals, but when she showed the length she would crop his ears, it was a definite no way! I'll leave them like they are before they will be that short. It ruins their features and head shape. I think it made her feel I was questioning her work, but I had the right to and I think at the end she felt she wasn't capable of giving me what I want for Jager.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would assume they defaulted to that crop because of the ears they produce- it would be easier to have shorter ears standing with the ear style and set being so large and pendulous and low. I find the natural ears that have the easier time standing are often smaller and with a higher set, and so it's easier when you do a longer style crop on them.

Personally my recommendation is to find a vet that is experienced specifically with dobermans, who can show you a portfolio of what they've done in the past. Anyone saying anything about not being sure or comfortable with what they can offer you will not give you a good result. Good luck!
For sure! I had that happen to one of my other dogs and the crop was horrible! I think it's hard for some people that are professionals to admit when they just aren't cut out to do something. It's like saying that all Doctors are good at cosmetic surgery. I understand her concern for them not standing if too long, but like you said, I need to find someone that does it often on all breeds.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would assume they defaulted to that crop because of the ears they produce- it would be easier to have shorter ears standing with the ear style and set being so large and pendulous and low. I find the natural ears that have the easier time standing are often smaller and with a higher set, and so it's easier when you do a longer style crop on them.

Personally my recommendation is to find a vet that is experienced specifically with dobermans, who can show you a portfolio of what they've done in the past. Anyone saying anything about not being sure or comfortable with what they can offer you will not give you a good result. Good luck!
Not sure if I commented back. I did notice some had better crops than others, but most too short. I'm not sure if they had issues with their ears or not. I contacted a vet that breeds Dobermans and crops. I will feel better with his opinion being he knows about the breed and how do crop. The other vet mentioned stents and how another vet would probably have better equipment. Not sure what she meant.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Your pup looks purebred (though it's never possible to tell from a picture alone) however the vet is correct in that the ear set is very low on the skull, and the ear leather looks rather pendulous and heavy yet thin.
A lot of the east euro dogs I've seen lately have these characteristics and often struggle with the longer crops requiring more time to post in order to stand - one female I know even tends to start flopping again when she's in heat or nursing so the owner does the tape-rings around the middle through that time.
Yes. The father is a European bloodline and Mom old American Doberman bloodline. I wasn't sure what she meant by that, but I'd assume they'd also be European if older lineage. I'm going to pay for the pedigree when I send his AKC papers in. I never even questioned if he was purebred. She was insulting even questioning and I truly knew then that she didn't know much about them. He isn't a thin, tiny boned Doberman. I saw the other pups and I specifically chose him because I liked his build, face and personality. A few of the other puppies were thinner and not as much loose skin, but his look I just preferred. At any rate, we adore him. I'm just hoping he will be able to get a decent crop. 馃槉
Yes, I had a boxer like that and finally they stayed up. It was many months of posting and taping and back then I used popsicle sticks wrapped in gauze and tape.
BTW, the last picture is the most recent and his ears are higher. I'm hoping with him teething a lot, he will strengthen his ears more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts