Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As Many of you may know I Rescued Tanner my Beloved Girl late last summer, she has now been spayed and I am battling to keep the weight off her lol.

Anyways my father past away the same fall, we took in his Dobie boy Riddick and had to put down his GSD because he was not safe with strangers or children. We also sold our house and moved into the farm I grew up in as a child.

The back of our house has our living room which has patio doors going out to a deck and facing a field with the brush line into the woods.

Anyways yesterday afternoon Tanner was freaking! freaking out Scratching at the glass doors. growling, acting like a complete nut. So I didn't know what was wrong so I opened the door to check if a coyote was out there and she bolted, Not like her at all. She is generally stuck to us and rarely leaves the deck. Anyways she takes off across the field and into the woods. I am having a mental breakdown because this is so unlike her and she is already 5 km away. anyways I go get our snowmobile and shot gun and head towards the woods. Of course when things like this happen my husband is ice fishing :/

Anyways just as I get off the snowmobile to head into the woods tanner comes trotting back looking very pleased with herself. I hop on the snowmobile and head home with her.

I tell this to my husband and he was VERY suspicious and went to check it out this morning. He found a trail from someone, I want to assume was poaching but who really knows what they were doing seeing as from the woods there is a clear view of our home. he followed the trail and it lead to the highway on the other side. Called the RCMP they came to a look and basically said to my husband to put a no trespassing sign up. ... :/

Anyways I am VERY pleased with Tanners reaction to the stranger and am wondering how to nurture this?

We have a sexual offender that lives in the next town and although my child is still a baby it makes me feel better that she is so eager to protect us.

Our other Dobie Riddick and our Lab Timber did absolutely nothing by the way lol

here is a not so great picture of her this morning after the officer left standing on the deck "watching"

Attachments

·
Registered
589 Posts
I am glad all turned out well . I live in the country also and worry about shilow getting after a coyote, because they are very sneaky and will surround a dog just like they will a deer and kill it. I hope Tanner got a special treat for doing such a good job protecting you and your family . Good girl tanner

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She is getting a new stuffie today which will probably last about 4.2 sec. But yes she is a super dog!

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts
I knew you had to be a Canuck....
I was a quarter through your post....then looked to see where you were from....Yep....Manitoba....
What gave it away? I hopped on my Skidoo.... Of course my husband was ice fishing.....ha I'm originally from Northern Ontario....these are common phrases....ha
Glad you have such an alert dobie!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hahaha Not so hardcore as it seems, But we do have a HUGE coyote problem, and about 6 km away a neighbor had a cougar looking in her window. So shot guns and snowmobiles are essential here. Poaching is a huge problem too and if anyone farms on here you know if you got a guy walking toward your house with a shot gun you better have one too.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
How awful to have a man lurking in the woods behind your house.

Well done Tanner, I know we keep on saying what softies Dobes are and we all know most of them are, but isn't it great that intruders don't know this.

·
joie de vivre
11,271 Posts
Hmm...can you put up a motion detecting light out back? People might be less inclined to skulk around if a bright light pops on every time they try.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The problem is the man was a mile away in the woods, now that I keep thinking about it I am thanking my lucky stars she didn't get shot, because if it was someone poaching deer or wolfs they would certainly have a gun :S ... makes my stomach turn

·
Registered
355 Posts
But we do have a HUGE coyote problem,
I know exactly what you're talking about, I live in a very rural area outside Ottawa. One of the neighbouring farms shot 23 coyotes last year!! My dad who owns a small sheep farm lost 13 lambs last year to coyotes. Out of those 13 lambs 10 of them were found dead still completely intact, the coyotes didn't even eat them, just killed them for the fun of it. There are a terrible nuisance in the country!

On another note; You're Dobie did a great job! I'm glad the situation ended with everyone safe!

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
I knew you had to be a Canuck....
I was a quarter through your post....then looked to see where you were from....Yep....Manitoba....
What gave it away? I hopped on my Skidoo.... Of course my husband was ice fishing.....ha I'm originally from Northern Ontario....these are common phrases....ha
Glad you have such an alert dobie!
Me to - phoning the RCMP was another dead give-away...lol.

Kudos to your fine dobe Tanner...I don't know what more you do to encourage the protection instinct...either they show it or they don't...and she has proven herself.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Howdy,

In my limited experience with my own male Doberman I've learned two things:
1. His "radar" is acute! (hearing, sense of smell)
2. I trust this breed's protective instincts.

My gut tells me that your Doberman knew what she was doing. I'm sorry if this may cause you some discomfort, but I suspect you had a trespasser and your Doberman knew it. Between your Doberman and your shotgun, I'd say you and yoru family are well protected. Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts