Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:sadcry: Jasmine had to have surgery on Friday for a obstruction in her stomach.
I was raking the leaves at my parents house and Jasmine was running around having a ball. They are located on 5 acres out in the country and was able to let her off the leash. I THOUGHT I was keeping a pretty good eye on her. About every 3-4 minutes she would come running over to see me and then run around some more. Little did I know she was eating all the rocks on my parents driveway!! About an hour later she started having problems swallowing, so I took her inside and she tried to drink a little water but up that came. Off to the vet we go, and after x-rays of her throat and stomach it is determined that Jasmine's has a fist full of rocks in her stomach. She is starting to fill up with gas and the vet felt that the rocks were not going to pass. 2 hours later she is in surgery having them removed!!! Anyway's she is home, totally back to normal like it never happened and doing well. I am $1400.00 poorer than I was before but I am glad she is o.k. BIG LESSON LEARNED...it only takes a few seconds for trouble to happen.:emo8:

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Wow, that WAS an expensive weekend! It sounds like it is a really good thing you got her into the vet when you did. I am really glad that everything is okay now though. Send her our "Get Well Soon" wishes.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Oh no! Poor Jasmine, I am so glad she is ok.

Just a thought on letting her play outside next time, it might be a good idea to get her a little basket muzzle, so at least she can still run and play, she has no clue what she did to herself. And I know you don't want to go through that again. Even watching them like a hawk they can pick up a rock and swallow it quicker than you can get it away from them.

Give her a hug for us!

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Thats horrible! I am glad that she is doing better. Give her hugs for me.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Holy cow! It's amazing how FAST they can get into something! Good thing you noticed she was having trouble in time before she could get any worse. Best wishes to the little girl for a speedy recovery!

{{{Jasmine}}}

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Yowser that is one expensive lesson!!!main thing is she is O.K.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Glad to hear that Jasmine is on the mend. Lucky for her that you kept an eye out for trouble. It would have been easy to 'wait until morning and see what happens'. Naturally these things always happen on the weekend when it's harder to find a vet's office open!

What I find scariest (for lack of a better word) about your post is that she kept coming back so often to check up on you. We tend to get suspicious when they disappear for a long length of time - a sure sign that they (like small children) are getting into mischief/trouble. It is frightening how quickly they can get into serious trouble.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
OMG. I am so glad you took Jasmine to the vet when you did. I can't believe she got so many rocks down? or that they even tasted good! Hopefully, she won't be doing that again.
cc

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I don't know what it is with rocks, on a few occasions Lexus has eaten rocks, only to vomit them up in the middle of the night. My outdoor dog area is entirely pea gravel, which she doesn't bother with, but she likes the big rocks, like the size of a small potato. I scour the dog area to keep them out, but occasionally she still finds them somehow. I don't even know how she could comfortably swallow them, or why! I've been fortunate that it has never created a problem, there is no way they could pass (ouch just at the thought of it)

·
Extraordimary
4,954 Posts
Would the PetPlan insurance still be in effect for Jasmine and would it cover part of the expense? I'm thinking she may be right around the age where it would run out. Sometimes people forget they have it, so thought I'd remind you.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Good to hear she is OK now. And OUCH to you and your wallet! ;)

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone for your kind words. Jasmine had Petplan insurance Mary, that ran out 2 weeks ago. But thanks for making me go and check! I talked to the woman from Petplan and after thinking about it I thought I would start the insurance at 1 year old. My thinking was puppies don't have many health problems!!! lol...in fact, this is probably the most important time to have such coverage. I guess she seemed so innocent at that time, (my baby won't get into trouble) boy, was I wrong.

·
Registered
321 Posts
What is it with these Dobes and rocks? Reese loves rocks. Joe put down gravel next to the garage so he can park his semi. If Reese gets any where near it I'm picking rocks out of his mouth. He's almost obsessive about it.

What a scare for you and Jasmine. Glad she's going to be okay.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I am glad everything is ok..that's the main thing

I was thinking of the same thing about the insurance,it's to bad it ran out 2 weeks ago because you would be getting most of that back.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
heal soon and well Jasmine...
glad to hear you got her taken care of and you were there to do it!
*hugs Elly - cause she's sure Jasmine is getting TONS of TLD*

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Wow, what a rough weekend. Glad you caught it in time. Poor Jasmine. Hoping for a speedy recovery.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts