Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't help but wonder what the story was with Gabe. I looked at your website again today. Poor thing looked terrible when you got him, and by the time he was ready to go home he looked like a totally different dog. He looked so sad and scared in the first picture. You guys did such a wonderful job helping him turn around, I can't help but be curious what happened to him.

(Sorry if this is kind of random)

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
BackInBlack said:
I can't help but wonder what the story was with Gabe. I looked at your website again today. Poor thing looked terrible when you got him, and by the time he was ready to go home he looked like a totally different dog. He looked so sad and scared in the first picture. You guys did such a wonderful job helping him turn around, I can't help but be curious what happened to him.

(Sorry if this is kind of random)
It's Ok, I get asked about him a lot...he is kind of the poster boy for rescue. I actually posted this here once before but I'll do it again. I saved it to a word document so that all I have to do is cut and paste now - LOL! Saves me a lot of time.

Gabe came into rescue November of 2004. I don't have a lot of background on him (just as well ... hunting down the people who did this to him probably would have landed me in jail). He was found in NYC tied to a building and left for dead. He was 7 months old (we know this for sure) and 21 pounds. He was barely alive and spent the first week at a vets on IV's. We suspect that some of his "sores" were from being chewed on by rats.
I was down to just one dog, I only work mornings, and so had the room and time to foster a special needs puppy. I only foster an occasional hard luck puppy.... young kids - I don't do older unknown fosters. I was e-mailed the picture of Gabe and I picked up the phone, called the person and said "yes". That is all I had to say and she knew what I meant. We had Gabe for 3 months and put 40 pounds on him. He ate like a vacum cleaner.... 4 meals a day of high calorie kibble mixed with chicken, noodles, and full fat chicken broth.... probably thought he had died and gone to heaven. He was a happy go lucky puppy without a mean thought in his head.... even after the abuse he suffered. At 10 months we thought he had attained most of his growth (ha ha little did we know), and told his new family that we did not think he would get too much bigger - BWHAHAHAHAH!
I see him almost every Monday night at training class, and his owner never fails to tease me about how I said he would not get big. At close to 2 years old, Gabe has attained his full oversized Kimbertal size - he is a big playful, goofy boy. I thank God everyday for being the one to watch him bloom - he is a special boy. I am also very thankful that I get to see him on a regular basis.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for posting that again :D I was just curious, he turned out to be such a pretty dog from what I can see in your pictures. He was very lucky to find his way to you, that is awesome that you devote your time to dogs in need like that. I will bet that it was hard for your kids to let him go, but that is great that they are learning from a very young age that donating to a good cause, and giving more than getting is very self rewarding, and that it is something that is important to you. I'm sure you dont need me to tell you.....but keep up the good work. What goes around comes around 10 fold.

·
Banned
3,463 Posts
Velmadobe
Could we all get an update how Gabe is doing? His story should be considered one of the reminders of why Doberman Pincher Rescue exists. You were his rescue angel- BLESS YOUR HEART!

If you love the breed PLEASE DO SOMETHING-no matter how big or small- to SUPPORT DOBERMAN RESCUE- EVERYTHING SOMEONE does MAKES SUCH A BIG DIFFERENCE! PLEASE make in one of your goals in 2010 to SUPPORT A RESCUE or your local ANIMAL SHELTER

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
Winter 2010 - update on Gabe

It has been a long time since I've actually seen Gabe in person, but I do get to see pictures of him as his owner is one of my friends on facebook. He is doing well and would be 5 years old now - I think his birthday is in May if I remember correctly. His family owns a weekend/vacation home up in the Adirondacks (sp?) Gabe does lots of hiking in the mountains with his owners and their other dog (not a Dobe). He is one lucky guy - living the life any Dobe would love to have :)

This past week, a 2 year old red boy came into rescue weighing only 38 pounds or so - the pictures of him remind me of Gabe's condition. I don't understand how someone could stand by and let a dog get in that condition - from what I have heard, he was an owner turn in at a shelter, and not a stray!!

Donations to rescue are always welcome - The above boy is going into a great foster home this week once he is released from the vets. He has been at our vets for 5 days so far..... not cheap!! What our local rescue really needs is someone super rich to support it - LOL - preferably someone with a kennel we could use :) Money is always in short supply and dogs just keep falling from the sky.

·
Banned
3,463 Posts
FABULOUS!!!! I really wish you could get a hold of some recent pics of him and post them here. His journey was INCREDIBLE and the part you personally played in it- PRICELESS! THANKS FOR THE GREAT UPDATE. I am SO GLAD he is enjoying and loving life- he most certainly deserves it! PLEASE THANK the family that adopted him and is giving him such a wonderful life. I LOVE HAPPY TAILS and updates about rescued animals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts