Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a new product. Suppose to be better than Frontline. Instead of just killing the insect after the bite this product (get from your vet) repels and kills fleas, ticks, mosquitos, lice, mites and sand fleas.

Anyone use this yet or any feed back?

I personally only use Frontline for around a 3-4 month period for ticks, but I like the idea that this product repels as well.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
It's what we have always offered at work and it works well, I haven't seen any side affects with any dogs and very few cats (so far at least) and it works well when given to dogs/cats who already have fleas to help in the de-fleaing process, we've had some clients try frontline and others that are cheaper but come right back because of how well they thought it worked or what it did to their coats/ hot spots on some dogs.
:)

Thought i'd link their website for reference to others. :)
Vectra 3D

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Did you ever switch to Ivomec for a heartwormer? I have found it to help greatly with fleas and ticks here. I only use Advantage II for a couple months a year in the last 3 years or so. It just comes down to how many chemicals you are comfortable with putting on your dogs. You have to balance between worry about diseases/parasites carried by ticks/fleas vs exposure to more and more chemicals. Its not an easy decision. The repellent factor does sound attractive if it actually works.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you ever switch to Ivomec for a heartwormer? I have found it to help greatly with fleas and ticks here. I only use Advantage II for a couple months a year in the last 3 years or so. It just comes down to how many chemicals you are comfortable with putting on your dogs. You have to balance between worry about diseases/parasites carried by ticks/fleas vs exposure to more and more chemicals. Its not an easy decision. The repellent factor does sound attractive if it actually works.
I am using interceptor. Vet did mention Ivomec, but I have enought Interceptor for now.
Good point about more chemicals. I do not like a lot of chemicals either.

I still have enough Frontline for about 4 months too.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
ive been using it for the past year on all my dogs and no problems, works great and repels.

vectra is not made by the same company as hartz.

vectra is from summit vetpharm, and hartz is hartz mountain company.

and having one report on the internet if a product (your link is not even clear what product it is) isn't reason to not use it. vectra is a veterinary product. applying the wrong product (dog to cat, for instance) yes is deadly - its ingredients are toxic to cats. as is advantix, for instance.

INAPPROPRIATE use of a drug doesnt make for a bad product.

Reactions: Murreydobe

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
let me see if I can find more info. I'm copying pieces of what I found when I did my research which again makes me uncomfortable to use it. ETA - this post is not to judge anyone who does use it, but explain why I am uncomfortable using it.

Lastly; Summit Vetpharm LLC, during the time of the EPA’s Public Advisory, was primarily held by Sumitomo Corporation the same company that owns Hartz. Sumitomo transferred it’s primary shares of Summit Vetpharm LLC a little while ago and in May of this year, they will hand over majority stock of Hartz to Unicharm, a large player in the Asian pet-care market. Sumitomo is also the manufacturer of Permethrin, the chemical referenced above.

A class action suit was filed against both companies in 3/2010
Adverse Reactions from Flea Control Products - 2012-02

Hartz Faces Wave of Lawsuits Over Flea Products
Hartz Mountain Corp. is facing a wave of new lawsuits from dog and cat owners claiming that their pets were sickened or killed by anti flea nad tick medication sold by the company. The suit charges Hartz with negligence and with creating an “unreasonably dangerous product.” The products named include Hartz Ultra Guard flea and tick drops and Summit VetPharm’s Vectra 3d. Many of the suits filed are seeking 'class action" status with one suit claiming that “in 2008 alone, there were approximately 48,000 reports of adverse events from the spot-on or squeeze-on products including pyrethrins, Permethrin, or other pyrethroids.” (Read more)

CalgaryVeterinarians.ca : CalgaryVeterinarians.ca

Reactions: LindaH

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Revy (my corgi) had an allergic reaction to Vectra last year. She looked like a shar pei. BUT... the other dogs didn't have any issues. This year we're using Scalibor collars and so far everyone is flea and tick free.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts