Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, Mika was having a mild colitis for the past week (possibly due to this lamb head I bought for her from a pet shop), she was having really soft stools with mucus (a little blood in mucus too), and straining, but she only poops once a day so a mild one. Went to vet who prescribed antibiotic but I didn't end up giving her as the day we got back from vet she seemed much better, so we thought we'd try bland diets and see how it goes and keep the antibiotic (metronidazole) as backup. Today her stool is back to normal.

But this morning I woke up to find there's multiple spots of yellow&clear discharge on the bed sheet, and it smelled fishy! So I thought oh no she is having an anal glands infection! But then again she just had her glands emptied a week ago when we went to vet for her colitis. So I expressed her glands again but there's only little in there, and the color doesn't seemed infected either. And then I realize the discharge is from her vulva, the discharge basically leaks out of her vulva when she lays down, I was surprised it has that anal gland fishy smell to it aswell, but it wasn't as strong as the anal glands smell. Then I remembered she was licking her vulva when we were not watching for the past 2-3 days. So I suspect she either have an UTI or some sort of vaginal infection. And since it's Saturday today it means I won't be able to bring her to vet until Monday. She's acting fine otherwise. So I was wondering if anyone here had any similar incident with their dobes? Could this be incontinence (but that shouldn't have a fishy smell to the discharge right?)

P.s She was spayed after she had her first heat, I was planning to wait till after her second heat (after maturity) but she developed a possible pyo right after her first heat so had to do an emergency spay (but lucky it turned out to be just a vaginal infection).

·
Registered
11,916 Posts
So sorry to hear that Mika is not feeling well.

Former Amy:
Had pyo at 9.5 y/o, and she was on death row through emergency surgery (organs shutting down).
- there is an open pyrametra (blood discharge) and a closed pyra (harder to identify, no leaking blood)
- she had a full Hysterectomy (ovaries removed), not just a spay
It was a very scary time / hope you get to the bottom, of Mika's discharge...sending best wishes, from Kelly & Dad.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So sorry to hear that Mika is not feeling well.

Former Amy:
Had pyo at 9.5 y/o, and she was on death row through emergency surgery (organs shutting down).
- there is an open pyrametra (blood discharge) and a closed pyra (harder to identify, no leaking blood)
- she had a full Hysterectomy (ovaries removed), not just a spay
It was a very scary time / hope you get to the bottom, of Mika's discharge...sending best wishes, from Kelly & Dad.
Thanks. Did you mean Amy had pyo even after she was spayed? I thought spaying would of prevented pyo

·
Registered
11,916 Posts
Thanks. Did you mean Amy had pyo even after she was spayed? I thought spaying would of prevented pyo
Amy was never spayed and had pyo in senior years...and she had 2 Vets / one Holistic & one conventional.
Our Holistic Vet misdiagnosed her severe illness...prescribed some herbs BS, etc.
- a week later she become lethargic with blood leakage (luckily one night) and we took her our 2nd Vet ASAP
Ultra-Sound proved Open Pyrametra (5 minute test) & she went into emergency surgery...at 9.5 y/o.

Amy's second Vet was a gifted surgeon & was also used on top race horses.
- once with the dreaded disease, I remember Dr. Vern saying a simple spay won't be enough
So I'm sharing her story, for awareness & talking points...still something to consider (??).
- maybe one can't totally rule out pro just yet / I really don't know any more

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Amy was never spayed and had pyo in senior years.
Holistic Vet misdiagnosed her severe illness...prescribed some herbs, etc.
- a week later she become lethargic with blood leakage (one night) and we took her to another Vet ASAP
Ultra-Sound proved Open Pyrametra & she went into emergency surgery...at 9.5 y/o

Amy's second Vet was a gifted surgeon & was also used on top race horses.
- once with the dreaded disease, I remember him saying a simple spay won't be enough
So I'm sharing her story, for awareness & talking points.
- maybe one can't rule out pro just yet / I really don't know
Yeah I've heard spayed female can get what's called a stump pyo, basically it's as dangerous as a true pyo. But again she isn't displaying any of the signs of pyo besides the discharge: no blood, no frequent urination or increased thirst, no fever, have a good appetite etc, so I suspect it should be either an infection or incontinence. Either way I'm bringing her in on Monday to have a check. The outer area of her vulva is a little red so I've just applied some colloidal silver over it. She is currently getting daily Manuka honey 15+ UMF for her colitis so hopefully that will help aswell.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was wondering if it could be because she was on bland diet for the past 1-2 weeks due to her colitis, thus no supplements etc. she used to get fish oils, omega oils, eggs, apple cider vinegars and digestive powder etc daily which I assume helped to keep any UTI at bay (especially the Apple cider vinegar)... might try adding ACV to her water tomorrow, heard it's a remedy for UTI.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts