Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've been having a hard time getting a straight answer about this topic. Through research I understand its best to socialize the puppy between 12-16 weeks, so I thought after her
second vaccine I'd be able to start taking her outside other than the walks around my apartment floor (6 min walk aprox). The Dr who gave her the shot, who was used by the breeder said she'd be good after a week, the technician from her vets office says not until her 3rd shot, and back in my country pups aren't allowed to be out before 4 months old.

Not sure what to do here, should I wait till Nov 8 for her 3rd shot and keep doing the walks around the complex floor/ garage or should I take her out? I'm only concerned as she is already pretty shy and sometimes freaks out when she sees people coming in/out their apartments. She has been on outside walks a couple times, but not after I was advised not to. Also for context, the apartment building has semi open floors, so she gets some contact to outside smells / sounds other than being on the balcony for potty training.

I asked the technician how should I socialize and he said by finding other dogs who are vaccinated from friends or family but I don't know anyone around me that has pets...

appreciate the help 馃檹

Super Moderator
I would be socializing the puppy pretty much everywhere aside from very dog oriented places/businesses. So wait to take the puppy to the pet store, vet, etc. but do take the puppy for car rides, to the hardware store, pumpkin patches etc. 95% of Socializing your young puppy really has nothing to do with interactions with other dogs.

Registered
I did some of the things various trainers recommended for Covid puppies, even though I got my puppy after the lockdowns here ended. I took him to busy places, parked the car as close to the hubbub as possible, and sat with my him in the open back hatch of the car watching it all go by. I also did take my guy into stores that allow dogs. I brought a blanket from home, lined the child seat of a shopping basket with it, and wheeled him around the store. I took him to visit friends I knew had safe places - only healthy, vaccinated dogs that hadn't been to dog shows or the like recently.

We also went to a puppy kindergarten at a place that requires proof of vaccination on any dog there and has you spray your feet and your dog's paws with a bleach solution before entering.

My puppy is also on the shy side and even with those things, once I had good titer results (I do that after the second shot), I still really had to get him out and about where he could actually meet more people. IME dog people you can get to interact without encouraging jumping up and other behaviors you don't want are a lot better than willing strangers.

Super Moderator
Your puppy should be out experiencing the world - that means avoiding "high dog traffic" areas, but not keeping your puppy home! It's important that your puppy has POSITIVE experiences with things...if she's already a little nervous and shy, make sure you take things at her pace, give her plenty of distance from new things, and take it slow, but DO get her out. I would be taking her new places at least a few times a week, and just let her watch things. Sit with her and feed her yummy treats while she watches the world. Go to a kids' playground. Sit far enough away that no one bothers you, but so that she can see and hear kids playing. Go to a shopping area so she can see people out and about. You can go to the back of a parking lot of a place like Petsmart and sit with the door or window open (and her safely contained in a crate) so she can see and hear and smell dogs, but not interact with them. You can set up a playdate with a safe, vaccinated, adult dog who likes puppies. You can go visit adults who will ignore her and let her approach when and if she wants to.

Puppies really need to be out seeing and doing all kinds of new things. This is when they learn what the world is all about, and they learn from you that the world is a great place - you make it fun and rewarding for them. Your puppy should always have a choice to get more space or leave the situation if they want.

Registered
I agree with what everyone else said. You said she freaks out when people go in & out of their apartment. If you know people in your building maybe you could get them to go in or out as you walk by. Get them to pass you in the hall without interacting with the dog. She will learn that not everyone she meets will try to pet her and that they are not scary monsters. Get them to carry grocery bags or umbrellas. There are a lot of things you could work on without exposing her to other dogs just yet. These things will help build her confidence and when she does get to interact with other dogs and people she won鈥檛 be so shy.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Third time writing this reply haha. Thank you all for your advice. I have been taking Sasha out every day and recently I've been going the park to let her run and let out that morning energy. She's doing much better with people and her surroundings, love the way dogs read other peoples in the street. Most of the times she wants to approach random people walking by, but few times she got frightened. Interaction with other dogs is usually positive and she immediately goes into play mode if the other dog is calm. She does pull like crazy already, I've been trying several methods, read that the slip leads are best for this but she's still too small for the one I have. Its interesting because when doing the leash tension training she has no problem, but when we hit the building garage the pulling starts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts