Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took Koa in today to get his boosters (he's just over 14 months / ~65 pounds)... He got distemper, lepto & kennel cough (nasal). Now that I've been googling I see that I should have had them wait in beween (I had no idea - I know now).

Here's the timeline:
5:00pm - Shots
6:30pm - Dinner as normal
8:45-9:00pm - Approx - vomits first time - only food, minimal liquid. Vomits again maybe 20 minutes later. Still mostly food. Called ER vet. She said that some nausea is normal in getting multiple vaccines at once and to call back if it becomes excessive. Gave Koa some water to try and keep from dehydration.
9:20pm - Run to the store, ER vet said that Benadryl can also help a bit with nausea (I had no idea, this sounds weird to me). But since my vet said I could give him Benadryl as well in case of swelling, I figure it can't hurt.
9:30pm - Get home. He's vomited twice more, these times more liquidy. I'm thinking that I gave him a tad too much water and it caused the nausea to make him vomit again. Force feed him 1.5 Benadryl pills.
Now - 10:15 - hasn't vomited since. Now sleeping on the couch. Seemed to be muscle trembling more than normal as he fell asleep, but I might just be paranoid at the moment. He's not trembling now that he's sleeping.

Is he just having a reaction to more than one at a time? He did not react to either when he initially got them as a pup, maybe that's why the vet thought we were okay to give them together, I have no idea. I do remember that we got them at slightly different times the first time around.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Vaccine reaction generally happens within the hour, and typical symptoms are swollen face, lethargy, glassy eyes, drooling, ect.

This does sound like the body is taking the vaccines pretty hard (remember, vaccines are the actual viruses, dead or alive, injected into your system so your immune can mount a response), I would have given 1/2 pill of gravol or Sulcrate, not benadryl:confused:

If you are truly worried, you could take him to ER for overnight observation. Better to be safe than sorry.

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Sorry this is happening to your boy. I hope he's feeling better soon.

Please look for "vaccine protocols" on this forum. I wish I had known and don't understand why vets push for these to be done all at once, particularly in breeds prone to allergies and immune system issues.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please look for "vaccine protocols" on this forum. I wish I had known and don't understand why vets push for these to be done all at once, particularly in breeds prone to allergies and immune system issues.
Thanks everyone - I'll definitely find these threads and read up. He seems to be feeling better this morning. I gave him a little food to make sure he keeps it down and he ate and is now sleeping on the couch. And I'm calling the vet in seven minutes when they open!

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
Poor Koa! I hope he continues to feel better.

Reactions: KoaRad
1 - 6 of 6 Posts