Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I heard some exciting news that well I just had to share with you guys. Now I appreciate most of you are lucky enough not to have to deal with the problem of Leishmania but there are a few on this site those of us in Europe who may well have to. My vet told me today that there is a vaccine being produced and will be available next month.
Whilst it isn't 100% effective, it is (or so my Vet has informed me) around 80-85%. Combine this with what is available now to try and prevent Leish (Scalibor Collars) it is very exciting.
Unfortunately it will not work on a dog that has Leish, but as long as your dog is clear (tests have to be done prior to the vaccination) it has to be good news.
It costs (here at least) 50 euros per vaccination. First year your dog has to have 3 thereafter 1 per year, which whilst it sounds expensive is a mere pittance compared to the cost of treatments to try and send Leish into remission.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
This is wonderful news! RAW-lite was co-owned by an American woman who lived in France, and I was unaware of this disease until she mentioned it. It sounds very awful and I would be doing whatever I could to prevent it if it was a danger where I lived. I am glad you will be able to protect your dogs.

I would be interested in anything else your vet had to say, or any links you might have. I would like to send info to Margot's widower so that he can check into it for their Chows. Do cats even get this disease? If yes, do you know if there will be a feline version of the vaccine?

<pause to Google some>

It is the vaccine mentioned in this blog: http://blog.silvercoastangelicdogs....hmaniasis-vaccine-now-available-in-portugal/?

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is wonderful news! RAW-lite was co-owned by an American woman who lived in France, and I was unaware of this disease until she mentioned it. It sounds very awful and I would be doing whatever I could to prevent it if it was a danger where I lived. I am glad you will be able to protect your dogs.

I would be interested in anything else your vet had to say, or any links you might have. I would like to send info to Margot's widower so that he can check into it for their Chows. Do cats even get this disease? If yes, do you know if there will be a feline version of the vaccine?

<pause to Google some>

It is the vaccine mentioned in this blog: Angelic Dogs Blog Archive Canine Leishmaniasis Vaccine now available in Portugal.
I am not sure if Cats can get it, however, seeing as they are bitten by Sandflies just as much as dogs I would likely say it is possible.

I was just wondering how many Dobes on this site have been brought over from Europe, I would advise anyone purchasing a Dobe from Europe to have their dog tested for the disease before they pay out any money. Leish is transferrable to puppies via the bloodstream of the dam so it is not advisable to breed with an infected dog.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts