Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I would be really intrested to hear from others as to what their vaccination programs are, as in the uk we are advised to give our dogs yearly boosters and I do not agree with this, it would be great to hear what you are recommended to do with your dogs.
Many Thanks Dianne

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
I do the vaccinations over here in Jersey. In order to get a dog license, we need to have proof that she had her rabies shot. We have a bad problem with Lyme disease in our area. Over populated with deer, so we also get a Lymr disease vaccinations. Nikita goes to a local dog park on a regular basis, so bordetella is necessary. She gets a few others, but I can't remember off hand what they are. Since she always meets new dogs and is in public very often I make sure she is covered.....

·
Registered
460 Posts
Ava had her 'puppy shots', was boostered again at one year of age and never again. I used to vaccinate for lyme disease as we have a very high incident of dogs becoming infected but it seemed to me that dogs were being infected whether they were vaccinated or not. I used to vaccinate every year and Scoob had been vaccinated every year for five years until I started to read up on vaccines and how they work.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I vaccinate once a year,but am thinking like you would like to titer but theres not that many out there.

·
Registered
323 Posts
GKar had his puppy shots and 1 booster. He is almost 5 now so I will probably get him another rabies shot this year but then wait for at least three years to get it again.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Lexus gets rabies every three years and her distemper every year. I was just notified that distemper has become a 3 year vaccine also. I have to keep her up to date because she is TDI certified and they require it.

My other two dogs get their rabies by law every 3 years, but recieved four solid years of distemper, and I don't intend to do anymore. I don't really believe that the bordetello is all that effective, but if we do go away, I do administer that for them also.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
We started taking Duchess to a Holistic vet...but before that Duchess had her Puppy shots...and her 1 year rabies...but now since we go to the holistic vet she will only be getting her rabies...and continue to take heartworm we had the titer done...We really enjoy the holistic vet...she runs a rescue...and when we took Duchess to get spayed...she allows you to stay with her...and so she gave her the anesthesia and we petted her to she fell asleep..then got to watch the procedure...and then she puts her by us so we can pet her and encourage her to wake up...she couldnt even lift her head all the way and so it took many many hours for her to even use her legs...eventually she got better and we wobbled are way out of there instead of her having to stay overnight. I have a news article too that we found about our vet...with a picture! going to help with the whole katrina situation!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks

thanks for all your imput, as i have decided to have my dogs puppy vaccinated and probably their 1 year booster,( although up to now they have been vaccinated yearly),then that will be it.'LAPDOG' you seem to have a wounderful vet, there is no way that my vet would allow me to be in the same room as my dog for any opp, I have to be forceful with them to even allow me to hold my dogs myself for something as simple as a bloodtest.:mad: Do you or anyone else use a Homoeopathic Vaccine Alternative?.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I run into that with my vet also leiwache. In all accuality it really irrates the heck out of me. Having been a tech at one time I understand the liability and the reason for the tech being there, however, I firmly feel they should judge the situation and make allowances. I don't appreciate handing my dog over and am in the process of finding a new vet as a result of that and several other occurances.

The last time I stopped in, will be my LAST time there. I stopped in just to have them sign off on Lexus's therapy renewal papers, and proceeded to be (IMO) interagated by the vet as to whether or not my dog's temperment would be suitable for that sort of work. Keep in mind that my vet's office houses about 5 vets, and this particular one had last seen Lexus at about 4 months old for vaginitis. He had to first consult her chart, then commented that she was a doberman and that they tend to be nervous, and maybe therapy was a questionable choice for her. Needless to say I walked out relatively POed, as he clearly didn't even recall her, and she has always been a model citizen at the office, being taken there nearly weekly until about a year old for weigh-ins. How dare he, once again, IMO.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My dogs are on a three yr vaccination schedule. I have a vet that is awesome and he keeps up to date on all the new finds about things such as over vaccination. I am lukcy to have him :)

My male Rudy is hypo thyroid and I believe that over vaccination when he was a puppy is the cause of this. Once I relaized that I started to do research on vaccination and the problems that can occur with that.

I then started to look for a vet that would support the research that is out there and also my beliefs.

Our dogs are doing great. just had them done last fall adn now they are not due for three years. I will have titres done to see if which ones they need at that time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts