Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone given a complete set of vaccinations - except rabies - at 6 months? Vet had mentioned to come in for a booster before 1 year is up but I don't remember doing that for my other dogs. Also what kind of bordatella do any of you prefer, nasal or injectible?

·
Registered
288 Posts
this is a personal opinion but I don't think I would . I'm even thinking about checking with titer testing befor boostering at a year. some people think the nasal is better. I've had both and never had a problem with either.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
My vets have always done the rabies at 6 months. The one I worked for and the subsequent ones I've had. Lexus get the injectible bordatello. No problems with any.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The only reason trinity had her rabies so late is because she had alot of worms when I got her and they were afraid that the rabies shot might not mix very well with all the worm meds she was taking.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
when the vaccinations go depends on how old the dog was when it started -- has your dog already completed its puppy series?

i dont do bordatella at all - its such a short lived vaccine, and most dogs dont need it. when i am FORCED to give it, i do intranasal.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Kim,
The vet I worked for always did intranasel also, but my current does injectable. What are the differences for either? Is the intranasel more potent?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
doberkim said:
when the vaccinations go depends on how old the dog was when it started -- has your dog already completed its puppy series?

i dont do bordatella at all - its such a short lived vaccine, and most dogs dont need it. when i am FORCED to give it, i do intranasal.
She has already had her puppy series 8wks, 12 wks and 16wks w/rabies. SHe actually got one from the breeder maybe 5-6wks I'm not sure, but the vet didn't like the vaccination she was given so he started his own. The kennel where we board them required bordatella every 6 mos so we just kept it up after the fact in case we needed to board them again. I did hear somewhere that the bordatella may help fight off that dog flu that is going around or is that a hoax? :eatchicke
Thanks for the all the input, I think I'll just wait for the 1 year booster.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I haven't heard that about the dog flu but of course around dallas I haven't heard much about it. Trinity went through the same thing the breeder started her shots but when I got her I decided to start them over because the couple was old and had a coupld of older dogs and the only proof they could show me that the pups had there first 2 shots was an empty bottle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts