Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the biggest issue for us right now. If/when we get the puppy what will we do with her when we go away for vacations? I don't have issues with kennels, we've gotten the names of several good kennels, from people I trust 100% (law enforcement officers with GSDs and the kennel my FIL uses for his wild little Westie). Hubby is dead against kenneling. He thinks it's cruel and wrong. He also doesn't trust anyone to stay in the house and dog/house sit. This is a big sticking point for us and the one thing keeping me from having a pup right now and possibly in the future.

Family isn't much good to us. My sister works for our vet and is very good with animals but she's a flake. I don't trust her 100% to be there when the pup needs her. Ditto my mother.. Most of the family either works or has small children and/or have no time or like my BIL, hate pets and won't do a thing to help out in this sort of situation. Frankly, my BIL hates pets so much that I'd NEVER trust him around a dog. I don't trust him around my cats, which is why they seldom come over. He's afraid the cats will pack up and kill his children :rolleyes: He's an idiot. I'd trust my dad but he works. Actually he works from home so he might be an option. I'll have to ask him. That might work.

So, if my dad can't dogsit for us (he loves to dogsit for my siblings by the way so it's a good bet he'd do the same for me) what do we do? What do you do? Do you kennel? Do you have a dog/house sitter? Do you rely on friends and family? Pros and cons of each?

Any and all suggestions are welcome. We can't really commit to getting a puppy until we resolve this issue.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
I've left Petey twice already in the kennel in the last 2 months, both times for 4 nights. He didn't mind at all.....ate all his RAW meals, chewed up the new toys I left with him, and was happy and healthy when I returned. I would love to let my mom doggie sit for him, but this is not possible with him being so big, strong and not well trained yet. In the future when she can handle him, I will leave him for short periods with her. I am very happy with my kennel, did a lot of research to find this one, the owners have two dobies, and kenneled my Petey next to their DIVA during the days! Petey is in love with her. I will use them again in the future, I feel very secure with them caring for my baby.

Now for my other two vacations.....I have two cottages rented that allow me to bring my boy. One is in Maine on an tidal cove on Deer Isle and the other is in the Adirondacks on a pond. It takes a bit of work to find dog friendly places, but they are out there!

Carol & Petey!
ox

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
As far as kennels go, there are some good ones, and some bad ones. It's definitely not cruel to board a dog at a kennel if it is a good place. They get their meals, they get to go out to potty and everything. And usually it's only for a few days anyway.

If it were me, I'd look up some boarding/kennel facilities in your area and go visit them. Ask for a tour of their facility. If they refuse to let you go back to see where the dogs stay - that is a red flag right there. Any good boarding facility will have an "open door" policy and don't have anything to hide, so they are usually happy to show you around and show you where your dog would be staying.

Ask if they have licensed personnel on staff - either a veterinarian, or a licensed tech - just in case one of the animals gets sick during their stay. Ask open-ended, probing questions such as how often are the dogs let out to potty? How often do they get exercise time?

You can often get a "vibe" from good or bad places, or good or bad staff. Trust your judgement and instincts. See if any neighbors who have dogs have ever had to board their dogs, and ask them where they went and if they'd recommend that place. Word of mouth is sometimes the most important info you can get about a facility.

Reactions: Astrolaura

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
We have boarded Java at our vets - they have known and loved her since she was a pup. A tour of the facilities is not a problem. We pay a bit extra to have her walked and she always manages to get a room with a view so that she can see all the comings and goings. One of her vets owned a Dobe, loves tham and spoils her rotten. I know she gets a a lot of visits from the techs during the day, so it's not as though she is put in a cage and forgotten.

I have also used PetSmart when I go down to visit DH and we need someone to watch Java overnight. I have been pleasantly surprised by how clean and professional their kennel is and their techs are very good with the dogs. You can sign up for what they call puppy play time - like-sized dogs have supervised off-leash time in a large room.

The ideal situation would be to leave her with someone who has a dog, a fenced-in yard and is willing to watch your dog while you are away. I know that one of the obedience trainers at the obedience school we attended offers this service, so you might want to consider this as an option as well.

·
Extraordimary
4,976 Posts
As a breeder, I often have puppies I have sold come stay with me when their owners are away. I don't charge them anything. I consider it knowledge gained for me as I get to see how they are developing, what their temperament is like, how they look conformationally, etc. I don't like to think of any of my puppies sitting in a kennel situation. They live like the pets that they are when they stay with me and my pets.

So, that can become a question to ask the breeders you might be dealing with in the future. I wouldn't *expect* every breeder to be quite so accomodating about price, though. As I said, I don't ask for a dime but most of my people bring me a 40 lb bag of dog food as thanks, and I appreciate that.

·
Registered
262 Posts
We've boarded Harley for two separate 10-night stints at a local doggie daycare. The daycare owner continues to feed him raw and all his supplements. What I love is that he gets to play around all day with his his buddies. Of course, I sent Harley to this daycare many, many times before we even attempted to board him. We wanted to make sure that he fit in well with the pack. Both times when I picked him up, I swear he didn't want to leave his friends, kind of like when I pick up my son from a play date.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Friends of mine look after ******* and I look after their dog on vacations. It works out perfect because their dog is *******'s best friend. I don't think I would use a kennel and I don't think ******* would do well in one. I have seriously thought about going places where dog's are welcome. They are many resorts that are dog friendly all over the U.S. and Can.

Reactions: Astrolaura

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone.

You've given me a lot to think about. I like the idea of vacationing with your dogs as some of you do, but we don't vacation that way. We're not resort or renting a cabin type of people. I can't sit still long enough to fully appreciate a resort or cabin rental. When we go on vacation we drive, and drive and wander :lol2: Our last 3 vacations were several states and several hundred (or thousand) miles in driving. We could in theory do that with a dog but not all the time. Dogs don't do well in Vegas, my favorite spot to vacation. See? I can't sit still for very long and Vegas is the place to keep moving. Not that we vacation very often by the way, it would be once a year at most, some years, like this year, the money was spent on dental work so we're not going anywhere.

Hubby still doesn't like the idea of kenneling. He's dead against it. Too many dogs get lost or sick he says. This is going to be an issue, possibly the issue that keeps us from getting a dog.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Sorry about your hubby feeling that way....sad for you to not share your life with a Dobie because of one week of vacation a year. You should contact pet sitters that will take a pup into their homes, or maybe go with a breeder that will sit for the pup. I was in contact with a breeder not too far from my house, and she always dog sits puppies from her litters. Just like MaryandDobes. I know hubby and I had the same issues when we were young....we had two dogs that we never kenneled. We had people stay at our home, took them with us or didn't go. With my three rescue boys that I lost in the last 2 years, we used to leave them in the house and have someone come in 4 times a day to feed, play and let them out. But we had to stop that because the one Weim went off the deep end and would be come unhousebroken the entire time we were gone. He didn't start the behaviour until my Dad died suddenly....I was inconsolable, and we left our home in a hurry to get to my mom who was 5 hours away. That dog and I were very bonded, so he knew I was upset. I didn't come back home for 10 days, my family did, and then left them again the next weekend for Dads service. After that he would go in the house every time we went away, even for the weekend. So we decided he was better off in a kennel. I felt much more secure with him there, and our house wasn't being destroyed. When we got Petey, we decided from day one....we need to kennel him while young so that he gets used to it. So far so good. My kennel also has a 1 acre fenced run that they play with the dogs in, so he does get a bit of exersize there.

Good luck with it all.

Carol & Petey!
ox

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Perhaps you might ask hubby to read the advice posted in these threads. Putting a dog in a reputable kennel or leaving it with people you can trust will give it responsible care is not unlike leaving a toddler behind with family or friends if you and hubby were going to Vegas. Like everything else involving pet ownership, it's a matter of doing your homework until you find the right fit.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks again everyone.

I actually did have him read the replies. He's still iffy. I'm beginning to wonder if it's not the kenneling issue but the dog itself. I think he doesn't want to be tied down by anything. His argument is, the cats are so easy, we can have someone stop by once a day to clean out the boxes make sure they have plenty of food and fresh water. A dog is so much more work, like a child. The one child we have is almost an adult and pretty soon we'll be "empty nesters". I think that's the real issue here.

It is. We talked some and it's the responsibility of having a dog that's the real issue.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Thanks again everyone.

I actually did have him read the replies. He's still iffy. I'm beginning to wonder if it's not the kenneling issue but the dog itself. I think he doesn't want to be tied down by anything. His argument is, the cats are so easy, we can have someone stop by once a day to clean out the boxes make sure they have plenty of food and fresh water. A dog is so much more work, like a child. The one child we have is almost an adult and pretty soon we'll be "empty nesters". I think that's the real issue here.

It is. We talked some and it's the responsibility of having a dog that's the real issue.
Ok....this IS the real reason....I can tell you right now....my hubby will be the same in a few years! Our youngest is 13. He has already told me in no uncertain terms...NOT MORE THEN ONE DOG! And he says this everytime I cruise petfinders.com....NO IS A COMPLETE SENTANCE! He also told me...I will never spend $ on a dog and NO PUPPY! Ha ha ha....ate those words!

Hubby wants you all to himself! Get a Doberboy...and that will be over!!!

oxc

·
Registered
166 Posts
Since Maggie was a puppy, we have tried to carry her on vacation if at all possible, but when we have had to board her (at the breeders house or a local Pet Camp - very nice facility), every time she came back with weight loss and massive diarrhea, which led to a vet trip and ~$200 a pop for office visit, fecal, and meds. The fecals always came back negative for giarrdia, coccidea, worms, etc. EVERY TIME. So they gave a routine worming, flagyl, and probiotics.
Last month when we went to the beach for a week, it happened again, and this time, I just took a stool sample to save office visit charges. I got the head vet on the phone and he told me she is getting stress colitus. So, if I board her again, she has to go on a bland food (Science Diet ID?) and probiotics. Actually, I am going to try yo keep from boarding her, but sometimes, it doesn't work out that way.
So, addressing the original question, I think it all depends on the dog. Some dogs may find it very stimulating and enjoy it. Obviously, Maggie does not and is on edge the whole time she is there.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The kennel I use is expensive but well worth it to me. You can book a suite which includes a small cot with bedding, TV up in the corner so they can watch Animal Planet, Yappie Hour every day if you want them to have a frozen treat, walks, playtimes, stuffed Kongs, etc. Lucan has only been once but I can tell you that when we came to pick him up, he was in no hurry to leave! We always took our last Dobe there and she came home well fed, happy and smelling great!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
So, wait a few years. After a few years of "freedom", perhaps he'll be ready for some responsibility again.
I can tell you the answer to that... it's a definite NO! :lol2:

He's just about chomping at the bit to get rid of dependant responsibilities. The cats can stay, they're independent plus they own us anyway. He's looking forward to the kid being gone or at least a full adult out of the house most of the time and no dogs. :(

Looks like I might lose this argument.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Since Maggie was a puppy, we have tried to carry her on vacation if at all possible, but when we have had to board her (at the breeders house or a local Pet Camp - very nice facility), every time she came back with weight loss and massive diarrhea, which led to a vet trip and ~$200 a pop for office visit, fecal, and meds. The fecals always came back negative for giarrdia, coccidea, worms, etc. EVERY TIME. So they gave a routine worming, flagyl, and probiotics.
Last month when we went to the beach for a week, it happened again, and this time, I just took a stool sample to save office visit charges. I got the head vet on the phone and he told me she is getting stress colitus. So, if I board her again, she has to go on a bland food (Science Diet ID?) and probiotics. Actually, I am going to try yo keep from boarding her, but sometimes, it doesn't work out that way.
So, addressing the original question, I think it all depends on the dog. Some dogs may find it very stimulating and enjoy it. Obviously, Maggie does not and is on edge the whole time she is there.
Most of our vacationing would be impossible with a dog in tow. I'd rather not have to tailor my vacation to bringing a dog either. Those kinds of vacations just aren't any fun for us, I'd rather stay home and save the money honestly.

That stinks that Maggie gets so stressed at being kenneled. That can't be much fun for anyone.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The kennel I use is expensive but well worth it to me. You can book a suite which includes a small cot with bedding, TV up in the corner so they can watch Animal Planet, Yappie Hour every day if you want them to have a frozen treat, walks, playtimes, stuffed Kongs, etc. Lucan has only been once but I can tell you that when we came to pick him up, he was in no hurry to leave! We always took our last Dobe there and she came home well fed, happy and smelling great!
That sounds great! :D

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
What is a vacation? never in the 34 years I have been married been on a vacation.Did use to drive to Iowa to visit his mom she lived on 88 acres mostly wooded land.Took a AM Staff a couple of times and our first Bouvier and a Papillon no problems.The Am Staff rode in the back of the car,the Bouvier rode in his crate in the back of the truck the Papillon rode in her crate in the truck.
Patches Mom

1 - 20 of 28 Posts