Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weeks ago on one of our trips to the beach it was a nice sunny day with calm water, so I got the idea of “Why don’t we try some obedience IN the water?” Remy did well and took it all in stride. The next opportunity we had to go to the beach it was a little stormy. My son went with me and took some video. He did a good job considering he used a regular point and shoot camera.

This video shows only the second time ever that we tried playing (“training”) obedience stuff in the water. As I mentioned already, this is the is the first time ever we tried it in rough, splashy water.

The purpose for doing stuff like this is to get Remy to think and focus in spite of some weird and different thing going on. I wanted to share the video because it shows what I refer to as a “work ethic”, or in other words, how willing he is to work.

At first you can almost see him thinking “Oh, crap! What the heck is this? Hey- quit splashing!” Then you can almost see him thinking “Meh…. it’s weird…. but whatever... let’s rock and roll!!!”

Pay no attention to the poor positioning and so forth in the video. That stuff is the handlers fault. The usual things we struggle with (like forging) are exaggerated by the new distraction. The point of the video is to share the dogs work ethic.

My belief is that a dog’s work ethic comes from its genetics. Since breeders are the ones that make it all happen, I figured that today, on Remy’s 2nd birthday, it would be a nice gesture to tell his breeder and her cohorts “Thanks for your dedication to the Dobermann!” “Good job!!”

Remy’s breeder is Von Luka Dobermanns (workingk9s on this forum),
his sire’s breeder is Incredible Dobermanns (Incredibledobe on this forum),
the breeder on Remy’s maternal side and an associate of workingk9s is Vom Landgraf (Don’t know if she is a forum member)

Thanks all for producing this dog!

As a side note- lol, No, the handler is not intoxicated in the video. It was just a little difficult to walk out there.

LPCxWTstRQo&list=HL1333603875&feature=mh_lolz

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
First off, happy birthday to a very awesome and handsome boy. Second, holy cow! His focus and dedication to his work is a testament to the great effort that you've put into training with him. He bounds like a deer into the water to retrieve the stick!

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Thats sick...SICKLY AMAZING of you & Remy.
- water & beach sand is like working out on a gym mat
Eye Focus, Drive & w/Happyness...OMG great job.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Great video of Remy working! Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Wicked dog.
Dobermans are such exceptional dogs. Clearly Remy is an athlete.
I love that Dobes can be a serious working dog, a family dog, therapy dog, search & rescue, all around cuddler, and so much more.
Thanks for showing us an excellent example of their work ethic.

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Awesome video!! This has already inspired me to try training in more adverse conditions. It is obvious how much time and work you have put into to forming a beautiful relationship with this boy. And what a fabulous work ethic that came out of such dedicated breeders!!

After all is said and done with my current boy, and I venture into a working line dobe, I don't think I will know what to do with myself! So much drive and work ethic, awesome!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts