Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are trying really hard to housetrain Stella (almost 5 months old). When we first brought her home, she threw tantrums in the crate and would pee. (Lots of screaming and a puddle, even if she'd just gone potty outside.) Now she loves her crate, races down the hall to go night-night, and never whines at all. I take her out after 20-30 minutes of playing inside, immediately when she wakes up or gets out of the crate and about 10 minutes after getting a drink. Almost always I watch her to make sure she goes. Every now and then, she will pee just a little in it though. Last week I was working with her on a leash outside for about 45 minutes, she started really trying to jump in the back of my car, immediately (before I could latch the crate door) when I put her in the crate that is in the car she pee'd. Last night she was playing in the living room, I put her outside for about 15 minutes while I put the kids to bed, and within 5 minutes of coming back in she walked to her cushiony bed by the couch and went all over it. She doesn't have a UTI and has pretty good potty skills. She just seems to like a bed that smells like pee. Any ideas??? I thought dogs don't like to go where they sleep...doesn't seem to bother her a bit! When she has an accident we use Natures Miracle, so I don't think residual odor is the problem. I'm getting really tired of wasting $ on new beds for her to use as a toilet. Very frustrated....

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
Have you tried feeding her in there? Like after it is clean? Dogs also tend to associate eating with cleantime, so she is less likely to pee in there. It worked for my dog! That and being nice and empty which didn't work for you though. So yeah maybe try feeding her in there, and maybe scattering some teeny little bits of treats in there. Keep working!!

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
We pet sit a baby dobe she's now 8 months old but when she was younger she was the first to go outside....and she would pee 20 times around the yard. Have your vet check her to make sure everything is ok.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
You say you watch her go most of the time. You said you put her out and then went to put the kids down. That one you didnt watch. She was busy and not pottying. You should teach her a command to relieve herself. Mine is "hurry up." Means go to the bathroom. I still take my dogs out and watch most of the time. When my grandpup comes I still everytime go and watch him just to be sure.

Not saying she does or not. She may not have control of her bladder and be prone to incontience. Kyrah was the hardest dog or so I thought to house train...but definately the smartest. So it didnt make much sense to me. I knew something was different b/c I took her out and watched her potty. Then inside in the middle of play she would squat & pee. She is incontient and is now on pronin. So give her sometime and start to pay closer attention to her pottying and routines. I didnt notice much leaking while sleeping until after I had her spayed. So I am not sure if this had to do with the spaying or age.

Save yourself some money and go to some garage sales or thrift stores and purchase some comforters for her. Kyrah has a foam cushion with a cover I made, then a blanket & then I cut and sew a comforter in half for easier washing and folded and put them in. I did that to give her some cushion but dog pillows are out of the question.

·
formerly eventermal
3,498 Posts
Both of my Dobermans went through a stage like this. The only accidents that Guilty had were on her beds. I just took up all the beds, including the one in her crate, for a week, and the issue went away.

·
formerly eventermal
3,498 Posts
Reactions: sam&macksmom
1 - 7 of 7 Posts