Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bailey is nine weeks old and I don't expect him to be housetrained in one week, but he was doing really well as long as I took him out really frequently and at all the key times (after eating, sleeping, and playing) We have him in crate at night and when I can't watch him. The first five days he had hardly any accidents in the house (and NONE in his crate) I would wake up a couple times a night to let him out. Well he and our kids stayed with my parents this weekend while my husband and I went to my HS reunion. I think being crated for longer periods and holding it several hours in the car may have induced a UTI because now he is dribbling and peeing very frequently and having accidents in his crate, the house and going in small frequent puddles in the yard.

He went in today for his booster shots and stitches to be removed and they took a sample and said it came back fine.....

I have a bachelors in Zoology (just enough to be scary!!!) and have had PLENTY of experience with UTI's (human and dog)......I don't like to use antibiotics recklessly, but think he probably really needs one.

Does anyone have any idea about this? I know the urinalysis came back fine, but maybe it was too early to detect anything significant?

Is it too early to give him cranberry supplements?

Thanks for any insight you may have.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,906 Posts
A urine culture is considered the definitive diagnostic test for a UTI--plain old dipsticks don't always catch everything. Which did they do?

·
Nub Enthusiast
392 Posts
I wouldn't see any reason why you couldn't start with cranberry supplements. Maybe someone can confirm/deny for me...

It may sound silly, but if you live somewhere with hard water, it may not be a bad idea to filter your dog's water, too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A urine culture is considered the definitive diagnostic test for a UTI--plain old dipsticks don't always catch everything. Which did they do?
They spun it too, and I asked about if there was a test for the presence of white blood cells or bacteria.....she said all of that came back negative and the pH was good too.

I asked if it could be too early in the infection to detect and she just said it was fine to bring back a bigger sample later (at no cost) because the sample she collected was smaller than she'd have liked.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts