Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic has been discussed in the past but I thought i'd bring it up again.

At two years old, Abby has been showing signs of urinary incontinence. She was spayed when she was between 8 and 10 months (can't remember exactly). I spoke with my vet about this, she did a urine analysis and everything there is fine. She recommended a medication that is in syrup form that you give two to three times daily (I think it may have been Propalin). She said she used to always use DES (which i believe is an estrogen supplement) but she say lots of side effects.

Anyone know of any natural solutions to this problem? I'd love to avoid medication if at all possible. So far she's only done it a couple times over a 2 week span (which is tolerable) but if it gets worse we'll definitely medicate.

·
Premium Member
3,037 Posts
Lindsey has the same problem, I gave her propalin as well and never notice any side effects. She got it twice a day, she became almost 10 years.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Dobedad said:
I know this topic has been discussed in the past but I thought i'd bring it up again.

At two years old, Abby has been showing signs of urinary incontinence. She was spayed when she was between 8 and 10 months (can't remember exactly). I spoke with my vet about this, she did a urine analysis and everything there is fine. She recommended a medication that is in syrup form that you give two to three times daily (I think it may have been Propalin). She said she used to always use DES (which i believe is an estrogen supplement) but she say lots of side effects.

Anyone know of any natural solutions to this problem? I'd love to avoid medication if at all possible. So far she's only done it a couple times over a 2 week span (which is tolerable) but if it gets worse we'll definitely medicate.
Different dogs respond to different natual solutions. A lot of people report success by switching to a grain free diet. Others find that giving the dog powdered corn silk (available online and in natural food stores). Tofu is something else I've seen people mention.

But there are a lot of dogs who don't respond to anything but DES or Proin. Proin probably has the higher success rate of the two, and if the dog has a healthy heart (with no arrythmias) I'd never hesitate to use it. My understanding is no side effects are expected from DES when given at the dosage necessary to control urinary incontinence..it's only higher dosages that can cause unwanted and serious side effects.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
I had the same problem with my 1st dobe Juno she started on the estrogen supplement then moved to propalin and IMO she seemed to build up a resistance to the effects of that,she was spayed at 6 months and i have always blamed it on, that since her i have always let my bitches have a couple of seasons.

·
Registered
3 Posts
she leaks urine. It just drips out when she is lying down if her bladder is really empty she only has a few drips but if there is urine in her bladder it can leave a a huge puddle. Otherwise she goes outside and goes to the bathroom notmally. We go back to the vet tommorow. He tells me we should be able to control it with medications but hasn't said what exactly has caused it. She has been like this since we got her.

·
Registered
437 Posts
My girl is incontinent. We got her when she was two and noticed puddles appearing where she had been sleeping.It was like a tap dripping! Found out she had been spayed very young and the vet said that was probably the cause. She went onto Propalin syrup which worked wonders but had a few side effects. Now she is on a herbal supplement called Hold-it made by a company here in the U.K called CSJ. It works well and with no side effects.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Murreydobe said:
Different dogs respond to different natual solutions. A lot of people report success by switching to a grain free diet.

What sort of grains (specifically) do you look for? I feed Canidae and it has ground white and brown rice. Is this considered a grain? And it also has Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, is this a grain too?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Usually going through the first heat cycle helps an inverted vulva. The vulva swells and "drops" during the heat cycle. The change in shape and position usually ends the dripping.

If your girl has problems with vaginitis going through a cycle should help that too.

·
Extraordimary
4,976 Posts
DeauxB Luver said:
What sort of grains (specifically) do you look for? I feed Canidae and it has ground white and brown rice. Is this considered a grain? And it also has Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, is this a grain too?
You're looking to eliminate corn and wheat so Canidae is a good choice for this purpose. It helped one of my girls.

·
Banned
675 Posts
I believe that technically those are grains. The most common grains dogs have allergy problems with are corn and wheat, I don't know if that carries over into urinary incontinence or not. If you want to go grain free you can try Innova Evo which advertises no grains at all.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks guys. She was spayed at 6 mos. so letting her go through a cycle is out of the question. She has been on Canidae for over a year, and it has not helped at all. I'm going to give the cornsilk a try and if that doesn't work then we'll try the Evo.

Thanks again for your help!

·
Banned
22 Posts
Amazing... My dobergirl just started the same thing... kind of. She was walking into the kitchen and urine was flowing freely behind her and she couldnt stop it. I have notice that her Vulva isnt dropped down and i was wondering if there could be an issue there. This is the second time this has happened and I am so worried she may have a larger issue... I havent seen her having an issue with peeing or straining but this is the only thing. and I have noticed other dogs dont really react to her the same. The male she lives with in our home doesnt seem to know if she is Male or female sometimes. He sometimes will attack her and then sometimes NOT... so I am not sure if I spayed her to early because she was spayed between 4-6 months old due to a large infection. I am going to try cornsilk also but due to her age could it be anything else??? or is it most likely incontinency due to early spay :(...Thanks for all the replys i learned alot..

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
bluedobe said:
Amazing... My dobergirl just started the same thing... kind of. She was walking into the kitchen and urine was flowing freely behind her and she couldnt stop it. I have notice that her Vulva isnt dropped down and i was wondering if there could be an issue there. This is the second time this has happened and I am so worried she may have a larger issue... I havent seen her having an issue with peeing or straining but this is the only thing. and I have noticed other dogs dont really react to her the same. The male she lives with in our home doesnt seem to know if she is Male or female sometimes. He sometimes will attack her and then sometimes NOT... so I am not sure if I spayed her to early because she was spayed between 4-6 months old due to a large infection. I am going to try cornsilk also but due to her age could it be anything else??? or is it most likely incontinency due to early spay :(...Thanks for all the replys i learned alot..
Spayed bitch incontinence usually is seen by a bitch who "leaks" when she's asleep, they have normal bladder control during their waking hours. What you're describing sounds more like a UTI to me. I'd try to get a urine sample and take her to the vet.

Urinary incontinence is common in spayed bitches regardless of what age they were when spayed..I don't think early spay has much, if any, bearing on whether the bitch will develop this problem or not. The only bitch I've ever had with this problem was a mature adult when she was spayed. Other bitches I've owned that were spayed prior to their first season never developed it.

·
Banned
22 Posts
Thanks so much Murrey. I appreciate it. I think I have figured out the real reason she is having issues and it seems that it maybe she is nervous when our roommate is around..or his dog because our roommate has a very harsh training method for his doberman and I think it scares her. it has only happened twice in two weeks... she is going this friday to the vet and hopefully it is just nerves and then i will deal with that my own self. thanks again

·
Registered
145 Posts
Storm is on DES....her first "leaking" episodes happened about a year and a half ago. She was spayed before her first heat. She's not had any side effects from the DES and I don't have to give it to her as often as prescribed, and it still works.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts