Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I just got off the phone with a woman in N. California who gave her father a doberman pinscher 4 1/2 years ago. The dog has been abused by her father this entire time, is living outside in 26 degree weather and won't come to anyone. He has consistently beaten her and she is terrified. She has not had vaccinations, spay - nothing, but I am told she is a beautiful red girl.

I don't know any Doberman Rescues in San Jose. Can someone please guide me. Or....I can get her to my friends sanctuary here in S. Cal if anyone knows of anyway to transport the dog.

I can't give any more details because they are very sad...but the dog will die if someone doesn't do something. Please - anyone with any N. Cal Doberman Rescues - please let me know. I have the phone number of the owners daughter and they are ready to relinquish the dog.

Thanks.

Lana

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi Lana,

Contact the Doberman Assistance Network (DAN) at [email protected] and let them know the specifics of this girl. A lady named Heidi works for DAN and does a fantastic job rescuing and placing dogs around California. I volunteer for DAN and live in So. California. If the dog can't be placed in Nor Cal, I would be willing to meet someone half way and transport the dog to your friends sanctuary.

Mitzi

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I talked to Dogworks - I don't think they can help. Talked to N. Cal Doberman rescue and she is aware through Special needs Doberman and is going to call the daughter. The issue is the dog is terrified of everyone (because she has been beaten) and has never met another dog.

It sounds like it is going through the Dobie network and people are aware - just not sure how she can be helped.

If need be I will work on transport as well - I live in Los Angeles too. This story just has me shaking my head...

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
It's going to be difficult since a rescue taking in a dog that has issues from the abuse and isolation means it can't easily be placed in a home and also would cause a lot of problems with the existing dogs at the rescue.

How could the daughter not know what her father was like....and why did it take 4 1/2 years before something was done??? Sad! and maddening.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't want to comment on where the daughter works because it will flip everyone out - I am taking it moment by moment until the dog is out safely. The daughter called me this morning and said N. Cal Doberman Rescue / Dana Johnson - will take the dog if no other rescue will and will do her best to work with the dog and rehab it. The problem with my friends sanctuary is that it there is no rehab there - she rescues the dogs and adopts them out very carefully. It would be very difficult to find a home worthy of an abused dobe unless we got so lucky that an angel came about that was dobe savvy and knew how to do this.

Apparently the daughter got a sweatshirt on the dog last night. I asked why it didnt sleep in the house and she said the dog wont go near the house or the owner - clearly it was beaten more than once was what I told her. My instinct is to road trip it and get the dog, but I am not qualified to help her....I will follow up with the daughter tonight and also with the rescue in N. Cal.

Thanks Darkevs for the welcome back. I'm not on often but knew this was an emergency. xo

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update - talked to the owners daughter last night and she is appalled that people arent being that nice to her and that no one has promised her that this dog can be rehabbed. I explained that this dog needs a foster home where tender loving care can be given to her in order to teach her to trust. I said, no one can promise you that 5 years of abuse - that you knew about - can be fixed. Be glad that N. Cal Rescue is holding a spot for you and FOR THE LOVE OF GOD - take the spot. She was upset that they asked for $100 donation...I said, that is for a months worth of food - do you not feed the dog?? I had to reach deep inside myself for patience and clarity to be kind - which I was. I need to follow up today, I am just crazy busy at work and I am doing my best to talk sense into her. I am speechless, bewildered and at a loss for what to say or do.

Everyone knows about this - thank God the Dobe network is soooo tight and so many people care. What is the right thing for me to do now if she doesn't bring the dog to the rescue because she doesn't want to pay the $100. Do I just pay it myself?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts