Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
***CROSS POSTED***

I have been seeing this dobbie puppy off and on over the last couple of weeks. One of the neighbor kids had said it was his dog. When the pup turned up in my yard tonight skinner then before and covered in fleas, I sent my kids down to the house he supposedly belonged to. The people there are not claiming the pup.

So, I now have an 8-10 week old red dobbie puppy in our kitchen. We already have two dogs and are living in a rental, so we can not keep him. I have contacted a Dobbie rescue here in Louisiana. They will take him IF he is full-blooded.

I can't prove that he is all I can do is take a picture (which I will buy a disposable tomorrow) and send it to them. I have told them I will hold him for two days until they decide, but then I will have to take him to the local shelter.

I don't know if this is a high kill shelter or not. He looks full-blooded and is very outgoing and cute. So he should be easily adoptable, but ya never know.

If anyone is interested or knows of anyone who is interested, please PM me. I really don't want to take him to the shelter, but it is my only option if the Dobbie rescue doesn't think he is worthy to take in.

I will post pictures when I get them.

and these are the pics she took.

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1715989

As hot as it is right now, my preference is for the local rescue to take him in. It is just way too hot to have to be traveling very far by car or to travel at all in a plane. But I have seen way too many strays, abandoned, homeless dogs in this area to have much faith in the animal shelter finding a good home. So I have posted him on the chance the rescue won't take him.

Please look at the photos above and let me know what you think of him being purebred or not.

This woman is located in NE Louisiana, please post here or PM and I will give you her info and her know someone is interested.

·
Banned
675 Posts
It's iffy. He might be purebed, in one of the photos he looks like he could be, but in the others he really doesn't. He might look different to the rescue. But if the Doberman rescue won't take him, are there any all breed rescues in her area? Plus she says she doesn't know if the local shelter is high kill or not. It would only take a day or so to research what options are available. There might be an SPCA or some other shelter if the one near her isn't good.

Puppies that age are very adoptable.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Not that it makes a difference - all dogs deserve a good loving home - but I don't think he is purebred. Way too much white (chest and feet) and also too much rust - the markings go all the way up his legs on the inside of his hind legs. No way he's a purebred Dobe.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
There is a picture of a doberman puppy in the America's favorite dogs:Doberman pinscher magazine that has a pretty large area of white on its chest...so it may still be a purebred...very cute though!

·
Registered
665 Posts
He looks JUST like a dog I saw in one of my local shelters--it was a half red dobe mixed with a lab of some sort...and that color scheme just like on this dog was what it looked like on this adult. I'd say he's not a purebred, but shame on that rescue for being so vain in just taking in dobes...he's dobe enough to me in my book!

·
Banned
675 Posts
Most breed rescues are overcrowded, sometimes they have to turn away even purebreds, that's why most of them won't take mixed breeds, and I can't really blame them for that. There are all breed/mixed breed rescues, tho. I have taken puppies to one in my area and they have always taken them. There is a Doberman rescue in Illinois that has a separate branch that takes in other breeds and crossbreeds. I don't know how far away that is from this puppy, tho, or if they would take him.

The white is not a fault if it's no bigger than about 1/2 inch around, if it's bigger than that it's a disqualification under the breed standard, but the white of itself doesn't necessarily mean he isn't purebred.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Great points mic, I didn't even realize that about the whites too~

·
Registered
880 Posts
I think I saw white on his feet too... it's very hard to tell what the pup looks like, the pics are pretty bad quality. In some of the shots he does look very dobie, in some he looks more rotti/ausie

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
micdobe said:
Most breed rescues are overcrowded, sometimes they have to turn away even purebreds, that's why most of them won't take mixed breeds, and I can't really blame them for that. There are all breed/mixed breed rescues, tho. I have taken puppies to one in my area and they have always taken them. There is a Doberman rescue in Illinois that has a separate branch that takes in other breeds and crossbreeds. I don't know how far away that is from this puppy, tho, or if they would take him.

The white is not a fault if it's no bigger than about 1/2 inch around, if it's bigger than that it's a disqualification under the breed standard, but the white of itself doesn't necessarily mean he isn't purebred.
I agree you can't blame a purebred rescue for being unwilling to take a mixed breed puppy.. As Jessica said, most of them can't even take in all the purebreds that come along due to lack of space and resources. Additionally in this case, rescues in LA (and other gulf states) are still recovering from the effects of Katrina.

The pictures aren't really good enough to see much..but I thought "Aussie" when I looked at a couple of them..something about the head and ear set.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts