Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the old thread from a month ago is this link http://www.dobermantalk.com/food-feeding/60949-question-those-dobies-ibd.html

now, we did do the satin balls for a while but, while they did help it seemed that he needed something else. the vet and several others had told me that he should not be having more than 6 cups of food a day. so i have followed that. but after his last episode he would not gain back, he only gained 5lbs or so with adding the satin balls. so i figured what the heck, ill add more food. so i went with 7 cups of food a day... and he gained 15 lbs... then plateaued . i could still see his ribs so i added another cup... he is now on 8 cups of food a day and has gained at least another 15lbs.
this is an example that the vet isnt ALWAYS right. odie is looking amazing, no loose stools AT ALL!! (please see pics in the link at the first part of this post)

these pics were taken an hour ago. the old pics were taken 11/12 . these pics in this thread were taken today, 12/20

Odie is doing amazing. the vet will see him the first week of janurary for his check up, i think the vet will be blown away!

·
Registered
92 Posts
That seems like a lot of food! What are you currently feeding him? You may want to scale back a bit on the food to lean him out a little bit.

Here's a pic of our dobie. He's 10 months old and around 65lbs. He's pretty lean but you can't see his ribs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys, but i dont think he needs to loose any. i can still feel his ribbs pretty easy. if we can keep him on this weight, it will be wonderful.
if he gains much more, we will probaly cut him back 1/2 to 1 cup... but thats if he is stilll gaining. :)

im so happy with my boy!

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Glad he is feeling and looking better. But I have to agree, he's on the chunky side now. I'd definitely cut back.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i was always taught that the 'perfect weight' for a dog was when you could easily feel the ribs with little pressure, and not see them. i do not see him being fat, not to me. in some of the pics you can still see his spine. so i dont think he is that fat..

but thank you all for your opinions. but i think i will keep him at this weight.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i am thinkin that the reason he has a belly is the amount of water he had just drank. we had been outside playing hard, and he cam inside and drank nearly half a gallon of water. i will try to get a pic and see if it looks better i guess

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

here is a pic of him i just took, he has had water this morning but not an excessive amout, because its been a lazy day

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Lanah Chi-Cairn X 6 y/o, RIP Eva HADR Rescue Dobe, Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
4,616 Posts
Reactions: Abby

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
according to that, i would say he is a 3. like i said, when he runs, i can slightly see his ribs, he does have a 'tucked' belly, but not like he did before when he was so thin.

again, i feel this is odies ideal weight right now.. i do not feel he is fat at all. ill bet we finally have him at the 110lb mark now, which is good considering he is nearly 31 inches tall.

·
Super Moderator
22,015 Posts
according to that, i would say he is a 3. like i said, when he runs, i can slightly see his ribs, he does have a 'tucked' belly, but not like he did before when he was so thin.

again, i feel this is odies ideal weight right now.. i do not feel he is fat at all. ill bet we finally have him at the 110lb mark now, which is good considering he is nearly 31 inches tall.
I like to see a bit of the last rib when they aren't moving, personally. Simon is about 30" tall and he's only 85 pounds. While each dog is different, I think 110 might be a little heavy. It's hard, especially when he had been too thin, but you also don't want extra weight on him, especially given that he is taller. The more weight they carry the more stress on the joints.

Reactions: brw1982 and Amelia_

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I like to see a bit of the last rib when they aren't moving, personally. Simon is about 30" tall and he's only 85 pounds. While each dog is different, I think 110 might be a little heavy. It's hard, especially when he had been too thin, but you also don't want extra weight on him, especially given that he is taller. The more weight they carry the more stress on the joints.
I agree with MeadowCat here. It's GREAT that Odin is doing better and its incredibly apparent in the pictures that he's healthier now. However, he is pudgy and there isn't anything healthy about pudgy. Dreizehn is about 27-28 inches tall and maybe weighs 85lb also.

·
Always Grateful
6,952 Posts
You've done a great job improving his overall health - that is very obvious in the beautiful luster of his coat now. Please don't be offended by the comments about his weight - it is really hard to tell from your photos because they are not real clear. In the last photo that you took it seems like you might be able to see his spine - is that true? It is hard to judge the correct weight for a Doberman who is way outside of the standard and has those long bones like he does. However, being on the side of what looks slightly skinny to you will be much better for him than being on the side that looks slightly pudgy to others. He will be more susceptible to joint, bone, and spine problems because of his over-sized build so keeping him slim and trim will really help his long-term health. Again, you have done an amazing job - he looks sooooo shiny and happy!!!

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
i was always taught that the 'perfect weight' for a dog was when you could easily feel the ribs with little pressure, and not see them. i do not see him being fat, not to me. in some of the pics you can still see his spine. so i dont think he is that fat..

but thank you all for your opinions. but i think i will keep him at this weight.
I think this is due to his conformation, he seems to have a slight structural roach that (in my experience with a roachy dog) the "arch" in the topline seems to make the vertebrae visible, where with a dog with a correct straight topline you really wouldn't have any spine showing. It is true that this would normally be a very good way to tell, but even when Vegas is carrying all sorts of winter weight you can usually see a vertebrae or two, and it seems to be because of her roached whippet-like topline.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
he does need muscle. when it is warmer than -10 he will get more exersize. but yes i can visibly see his spine at times and when he is running i can see his ribs. more toning is needed. that will happen gradually as it is bitter cold here, in the negatives and single digits, takes nearly everything i have to get him to go potty!
i think with some toning, and some more excersize his tummy will be more tucked, and better muscle.
thanks again

1 - 18 of 18 Posts