Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, sorry its been so long since ive posted anything about King. I broke my computer, so i dont get on here very often, and when i do its only for a few min. anyway...
Ok, for anyone who isnt familiar with King's problem, here is a previous thread.
http://www.dobermantalk.com/showthread.php?t=131

Ok, so here is the update.
On monday I took King to a veterinary dermatologist. I am so happy to say that King's skin problem is nothing serious. The dermatologist is 100% sure its an allergy. So, after viewing the files and tests that I had done at my regular veterinarian, he came to the conclusion that it is either food or dust mites that is causing the problem. Over the last 5 days i have done things that he suggested to lower his exposure to dust mites such as; Keeping him off of the bed, keeping him off of furnature and purchasing a yoga mat for him to sleep on. Along with that King is on an illimination diet. It consists of 10 cups of potato's to 1 pound of boiled ground pork roast. the lucky bugger gets to eat shepards pie for breakfast lunch and dinner. :cool2:

Ok, so now for the "EXTREMELY GOOD NEWS" part of it. Previous to the visit with the dermatologist, King had been on two VANECTYL-P(antihistamine/anti-inflammatory) tablets a day. Even with the meds, King was tearing himself apart. Starting the day of the visit, kings meds were reduced by half. that lasted for three days. Then on the 4th day, yesterday, it went to getting a pill every other day. So, no pill 4th day, pill today, no pill tomorrow, 1 pill on sunday. After sunday his meds will be gone. the best part is, king isnt tearing himself apart. Now, he is itchy, but nothing like before.

Im so happy i am finally seeing results. I have another appointment on the 17th of may to do a skin allergy test. He wants to see just how bad the alelrgy to the mits is. I will post updates as he progresses.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Wow. It's about time we get a King update. I was just thinking about the two of you the other day. I have been wonder how King was doing with his skin irration along with his training. Glad to see this update. I am also happy to hear such good new as well.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Great News, Glad King is getting off meds and you are seeing improvement. :) Diet makes a big difference, we had a GSD that belongs to the Schutzhund club that I go to that was losing all his hair, they have tried forever to figure out what the deal was....finally found out he is allergic to yeast!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I was wondering what happened to you. I'm glad it's just a computer problem, not something more serious.

Good luck with King.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Glad you are starting to see some improvement Tom lets hope you get to the bottom of his problem soon and clear his skin completely.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Tom - that is such good news. It will be wonderful for you to wee what King is really like with out going nuts over the itchiness. I bet he will be a whole other dog.
also glad to hear your silence wasn't anytyhing more a a broken down computer. welcome back!

cc

·
Registered
953 Posts
That's awesome news :) So good to hear he's doing a ton better. Always makes us feel better when we can figure out a problem that's going on :)

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Tom, I'm so happy to hear it!!! I have been wondering about King and yourself!! We look forward to hearing better and better updates!

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Tom that is great! I have been praying for King! I really hope that you find the troubles soon.. I know about the diet.. Raven has been on Duck and Potatoe diet for about 6 weeks now.. must be nice!!!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I guess my joy was a bit premature because now that the meds are 100% out of his body, he is pretty itchy. I know things arent going to get better right away, so im keeping my hopes up.

pics to come in a day or two. i have to figure out a way to get the pics from my camera to this computer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts