Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well we got him home yesterday. I have to say this is the most emaciated dog I have ever had in. He weighed 56lbs and should be at least 75 if not more. Good news is he is really sweet and will do whatever you ask. The bad news is we are having a heck of a time getting him to eat! You would not think so with the shape he is in. We have tried canned, dry, frozen and yogurt. If I hand feed him he will eat a few bites. Hopefully once we get the parasite load under control his appetite will come back.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Bless his poor little heart. What parasites did he test positive for? His condition looks very similar to the Rambo that I met at the Humain Society. Is he very skittish and timid? It looks like he's letting you pet his head without skitting away. Otherwise he'll be a georgous companion one day to a very lucky home.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
I do hope you get him back to condition,he looks such a sweet chappie.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
they did not do a parasite test ( we have had enough come in now to know to go ahead and treat for everything.) he is on Panacur which will get all but Tapes (we'll have to wait and see if he has them)
He is very sweet, not shy at all, does whatever you ask willingly. ( except eat) We are off to get some hamburger to cook and see if that will entice him to eat.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
brumwolf said:
I do hope you get him back to condition,he looks such a sweet chappie.
We had one in a little over a year ago that was in almost as bad shape. She was young like him and recovered beautifully. he should do the same with time.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Ooooooh, poor guy. He really is a nice looking dog, he just needs a little weight. That makes me so sad, but so happy at the same time...that you have him now.

I hope that he has a very speedy recovery, and that he finds a wonderful home, he deserves it. And bless you and your family for taking him in and giving him some TLC.

·
Registered
134 Posts
That poor thing, he looks so thin. He's got such a sweet face too. I hope he gets back to a good weight soon. It's really nice of you to take him in.
Jen

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
What a gorgeous face. Poor little man, I have seen worse though. I am sure you will have him looking like a star in no time at all. I doubt he will turn down the hamburger, LOL
I look forward to the next pictures showing his improvements.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
He sure will be a great looking dog once you get the weight on him. I just dont understand why people even have dogs if they are not going to take care of them.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Nice of you to open up your home and help this boy on the mend.

·
Premium Member
8,880 Posts
uwharrie said:
Well we got him home yesterday. I have to say this is the most emaciated dog I have ever had in. He weighed 56lbs and should be at least 75 if not more. Good news is he is really sweet and will do whatever you ask. The bad news is we are having a heck of a time getting him to eat! You would not think so with the shape he is in. We have tried canned, dry, frozen and yogurt. If I hand feed him he will eat a few bites. Hopefully once we get the parasite load under control his appetite will come back.
Good luck with him. I've put a lot of weight on a rescue before by making a egg noodle/chicken/chicken broth "stew" and adding it 1/2 and 1/2 to some good kibble. I did 4 small meals a day till he started getting the weight on. Of course the dog I was fostering was an eater - he inhaled everything you put in front of him.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We have tried everything to get him to eat, chicken stew, hamburger, canned food, dry food, biljac. Vitamin B-12 injections as well. So far we can get maybe a cup in him ( handfeeding) before he turns his nose up at it. As much as I hate to do it will now start stuffing him. He needs to get at least 6 cups a day in him if we are going to get any weight on him.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
As you most likely already know you gotta go slow not use to having food ,it has been around for ages have you thought of giving him some Nutri-Cal in the tube its a high calorie palatable dietary supplement for dogs & cats. It is made by Tomlyn also suppose to be good for picky eaters I keep some on hand for Gizmo she has Reflux Disease sometimes does not eat for a couple of days.Wondered if he was dehydrated does he drink water? I would think if you stuffed 6 cups of food into him he would just throw it up?
Wish you the best of luck with him the poor guy.
Patches Mom

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Thanks for saving him!!
Has he had an urine test? How are his kidneys?

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
you've onlyhad him a few days, i would hold off on stuffing him - give him some time to adjust. hes eaten very little for a long time to get to this state (And hes not emaciated - hes still got more meat on him than my elderly foster came to me with) - it wont kill him to nibble for only a few more days.

is he inside or outside? does he spend time loose in the house with just you guys? have you tried disgusting grocery store brand food? have you tried raw? have you made satin balls?

i would just give him some more time before you start stuffing him.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
the good news is he is finally eating ( even out of a bowl) we went to stuff him last night and he decided to eat the stuff balls out of my hand. Today at lunch he actually ate dog food ( soaked in chicken stock) from a bowl, so hopefully we are past the handfeeding stage.
I can only assume it was hurting him to eat due to the parasite load and starvation.
Give the fact he would not touch the dry dog food is possible that he had not eating in 8 days when we got him. ( he had been in the shelter for a week)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts