Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So very proud of my baby boy! He is doing so well. Even though today was technically only day two of the clicker training he has done an exceptional job. I am half way through "The Thinking Dog: Crossover to Clicker Training" book and I have learned a lot from it so far. I suppose you can say that on the first try (without reading the book) I was actually as they call it "training with a clicker" and not "clicker training", if that makes any sense.

After reading half the book in about a day, I realized that I am supposed to let HIM figure out what I want him to do. At first of course he had no idea, he did get a little frustrated and gave me his opinion about not telling him what to do, but eventually he sat down on his own and, "VOILA" (sorry if the spelling is wrong) his first real click! He knew what was coming next, YES!! a treat!! .. He caught on pretty quickly when I just stood there and he sat he would get a click then a treat :D..

After the third successful "sit, click- treat", he decided he would try this same thing again but realized once he sat that there was no click and no treat.. and of course I tried not to laugh but couldn't help myself :roflmao: because of the "puzzled" look he had on his face as if to say "wait a minute, this worked before why isn't it working now" and then of course after a few attempts of retrying he realized that he must have to do something else to get a click then a treat.

Moral of the story: On our first "official" day of clicker training, he was able to lie down either next to or in front of me without me having to tell him to and I have to say that Gail Tamases Fisher was right, the feeling we get when we see our dogs have that "AHA" moment is priceless!! :p

I showed my husband a little of what he has learned tonight after he got home from work and the same feeling came over me as I watched my husbands face when he realized what a smart cookie we are dealing with.. I went for the "settle" tactic with him, of course not using the word, but laying a blanket on the floor and having him associate the click-treat with the blanket. I haven't gotten him to sit or lay on the blanket but within, oh I would say 3 minutes he was standing on it with all four paws! Now to me that is AWESOME!!

Just wanted to give a short update on how he is doing and as you can see he is doing extremely well with this! I want to thank everyone who advised me to go with this technique, it is the best! I will have more updates on him in a few more days! Wish us luck :thanx:

·
Registered
595 Posts
Thanks for the post, just this evening I went to a clicker training class, still do not have my baby but I wanted to check it out. I have also read a number of books. And I have to say I was impressed with the class. Each dog was progressing at their own pace, and I did see the AH moments on the dogs faces, it was quite a treat. Now I read this post and I know I will go with this type of reward training.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
We started out with clicker training at first. But some times we would forget to take the clicker when we had gone somewhere. So we just used the marker word YES then treated.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Awesome update!! It IS a great feeling to see them figure out what you want them to do :) The clicker is a very awesome training tool.

·
Registered
43 Posts
We started out with clicker training at first. But some times we would forget to take the clicker when we had gone somewhere. So we just used the marker word YES then treated.
I use the word "good!" (no clicker needed) One thing I don't like about the clicker is that it has no emotion. So the dog learns to please themselves rather then pleasing me

I am not against treat training (when teaching a new behavior)

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
I use the word "good!" (no clicker needed) One thing I don't like about the clicker is that it has no emotion. So the dog learns to please themselves rather then pleasing me

"Good" is not typically used as a release marker. What do you use as an enforcer before you give the release marker?

When working with my dog I use:

Command - Good - YES!

·
Registered
9,449 Posts

The marker isn't supposed to have any emotional meaning. It's supposed to be the same exact sound every time to mark the correct behavior. I use a word or a clicker depending on what I am doing.

Can you elaborate on how the dog learns to please themselves rather than pleasing you?

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
"Good" is not typically used as a release marker. What do you use as an enforcer before you give the release marker?

When working with my dog I use:

Command - Good - YES!
What is a release marker? I have a marker and a release word. Click/yes for the marker and then ok is my release word.

Click treat
yes treat

When done with exercise, OK

what is your marker word? The marker shuld be said/clicked when the behavior is done, exactly at that moment. Is good your marker word?

Using YES with Flirt
bow - YouTube

Reactions: mythikl

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
YES is my release marker/word. I use yes instead of ok.

This is the system I use, from leerburg:

2- YES - is the word we use as a positive marker. Its the word we use to bridge the time frame between a favorable behavior and us delivering a reward. Once the dog has been introduced to concept of "YES" (we call this CHARGE THE MARK) they quickly learn that EVERY TIME you say YES they know they are going to get the reward. With experience they learn that this can take 3 or 4 seconds if your not right next to them when you say YES.

It is important that trainers understand that "YES" is not verbal praise. Trainers new to markers commonly misunderstand the difference between a MARK and PRAISE. They need to learn that they can MARK THE MOMENT and then praise the dog with "GOOD BOY" after they mark.

When a trainer who get excited says "YES YES YES YOU'RE A GOOD BOY," they only confuse the dog because in effect they are marking three moments in time. We will talk more of this later.

YES is also a word that is used as a release command when the dog does something correctly. This means "YES" not only tells the dog that what he just did was correct, it also tells the dog that he can stop doing what he doing and he is now free to interact with you (IE get his food reward or play tug or chase a toy etc).

3- GOOD - is a word that means "I like what you are doing and I want you to continue to do what you are doing."

In other words GOOD is the word we use to add duration to a command. A perfect example would be to use GOOD when we are teaching the dog to STAY DOWN. When we teach duration for the down we would not mark the dog when he went down with a YES because the mark is the release. If we marked the down that would mean we just gave the dog permission to get up and get his reward.

So new trainers need to understand that GOOD is not a release command. When we say GOOD the dog needs to understand that if he continues to do exactly what he was doing when we said GOOD he will get a reward at some point in the future.

Unlike training the mark, when we first start training duration we can say GOOD a number of times in a row. We can say GOOD GOOD GOOD as many times as we need to get the dog to continue to do what he is doing.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
YES is my release marker/word. I use yes instead of ok.

This is the system I use, from leerburg:

2- YES - is the word we use as a positive marker. Its the word we use to bridge the time frame between a favorable behavior and us delivering a reward. Once the dog has been introduced to concept of "YES" (we call this CHARGE THE MARK) they quickly learn that EVERY TIME you say YES they know they are going to get the reward. With experience they learn that this can take 3 or 4 seconds if your not right next to them when you say YES.

It is important that trainers understand that "YES" is not verbal praise. Trainers new to markers commonly misunderstand the difference between a MARK and PRAISE. They need to learn that they can MARK THE MOMENT and then praise the dog with "GOOD BOY" after they mark.

When a trainer who get excited says "YES YES YES YOU'RE A GOOD BOY," they only confuse the dog because in effect they are marking three moments in time. We will talk more of this later.

YES is also a word that is used as a release command when the dog does something correctly. This means "YES" not only tells the dog that what he just did was correct, it also tells the dog that he can stop doing what he doing and he is now free to interact with you (IE get his food reward or play tug or chase a toy etc).

3- GOOD - is a word that means "I like what you are doing and I want you to continue to do what you are doing."
Ah, I didn't realize Leerburg didn't use traditional clicker training. With so many trainers using clickers in different ways, conversations get confusing :) I always think of traditional clicker training as click/treat or word/treat. Then there are trainers who train with clickers, just differently (not wrong just different). I've never heard the term release marker though. Nor have I ever used one :)

In traditional clicker training, the way Leerburg uses good would by your keep going signal. We only use 1 release word so as not to confuse the dog (or owner :roflmao:)

I do think it is important we're clear when we have discussions which methods we are using though. Traditional vs another method using a clicker. Might help with discussions. I alway assume traditional since that's why I use and we know where assuming gets you!

OP is using traditional clicker training FYI from what I can tell.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Agree Adara, sorry about the confusion. I am also obviously not the best trainer in the world ;D.

Actually this video shows how I was trained to use clicker training with Prime when I first got him, by a different kind of trainer. Click/verbal praise and treat. This would be traditional? I was taught not to give him a command until he has the behavior I am wanting down. Now he is solid at pressing the easy button without a clicker or treats and does it on command. I am awkward on video so there's probably mistakes.

bSW_QR_4aXM

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Agree Adara, sorry about the confusion. I am also obviously not the best trainer in the world ;D.

Actually this video shows how I was trained to use clicker training with Prime when I first got him, by a different kind of trainer. Click/verbal praise and treat. This would be traditional? I was taught not to give him a command until he has the behavior I am wanting down. Now he is solid at pressing the easy button without a clicker or treats and does it on command. I am awkward on video so there's probably mistakes.

bSW_QR_4aXM
yes, that's what I refer to as traditional now that there are so many methods.

I figure as long as it works, whatever we are doing must be right :)

I have another friend using a clicker how you use good and it works for her. I could NEVER click and not reward so it kills me when she talks about it. Buy it works for her and that's what matters.

Videos are great for seeing what we do or don't do. I cringe when I see how many opportunities I miss to click and how late I can be!

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
I think I am stuck in non-clicker mode because I haven't trained with it in so long. Now I would do "click/yes" and treat since Prime is used to "good" as the enforcer word and not the release.

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
I use "Good Girl" as my enforcer. I started with the clicker for all the basic commands, but as I got into needing more hands for training to walk at my side etc, I started using "yes", works just as well.
Speaking of hands, I use signals along with verbal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts