Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I HAVE to go back to work tomorrow (just a few hours), we have been taking shifts since Macs surgery. She's been on 24 hr watch, so this will be her first unatteneded time. She's been confined to an x pen, so she can move around a little.

The Cone of Shame we have isn't a traditional cone, it's a flat saucer thing which will be a very tough fit in her crate.

She cannot be left unattended without it, she has 18 staples in her leg. So, do you guys think I can safely leave her in the x pen? She hasn't tried to escape, but it is so much less sturdy than her crate. Shes also more up and about since the morphine patch wore off.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I am on my second Comfy Cone and I love them. Bought them at Petco. It's comfortable for the dog and my dogs cannot reach their incisions. My girl wore a large. I hated the plastic cone almost as much as the dogs did. They were banging into things.

Reactions: monicaei

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I don't like the idea of leaving a dog unsupervised in an x pen, I've seen dogs get their paws and even JAWS (puppies will sometimes bite at the bars, and I've seen one get his lower jaw caught and need the bars spread by a person to get free) caught- that is a serious situation that could end up with serious permanent damage if we hadn't been standing right there. I've also never been totally confident that a dog couldn't climb out or knock over the pen if they wanted to, IMHO it just isn't worth it.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
No, I wouldn't either. I left Carson only in the x-pen when I was home and could see him.

When I went out, I left him in his crate, breakfast or dinner can be served frozen in a kong so they have something to do for a while.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Do you have a small 1/2 bath you can leave her in or something like that? To bolster the xpen you could put it against a wall the put a couple of chairs around it to make it can't be knocked over. I have left many dogs in an xpen for a few hours but it depends on their personality. Good luck. I do understand that the cone cannot fit in a crate so you must do something else.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
If you attach the x pen to the crate it can make it more sturdy. I'm on my phone so I can't access my photos but when I first got Odin I went to the hardware store and bought this flimsy hard plastic sort of thing that had small holes where the pup could not fit anything in. I then took those plastic zip cords and attached it to the x pen. The plastic thing was only like 8 bucks and even the littlest of dogs wouldn't be able to fit a paw or anything in any of the holes.

Reactions: monicaei

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I totally chickened out and sent her to vet. The morphine patch needed to come off and I didn't want to do that anyway.

Got a "comfy cone" today. She hasn't tried to lick, so I don't know if it works. Wish us luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts