Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girl is 36 pounds at 21 weeks and 5 days. She is very active and vigorous. She has been wormed and immunized as recommended. Her breeder was breeding for their next champion IPO dog. She was about 15 pounds at nine weeks (after feeding). Her appetite was down the first week. After the 12 week immunizations, she ran a fever and vomited one day and lost about 3 pounds before her appetite returned. She did fine with the 16 week immunizations. She was on raw until 14 weeks and transitioned to Evo without a problem. Evo recommended 2 cups and she ate 3 cups for 8 days and gained about 5 pounds. She weighed 26 pounds in the morning at 17 weeks.
She ate a lot of red barn for training and ate 2 cups of Evo in the evening until about week 18. For the last three weeks she had the "role" food for training and three cups of Evo but, only gained 3 pounds (She grew much taller). From here I plan on feeding 5-6 cups a day in addition to a LOT of training food. Her parents are 70 and 90 pounds. I do not think she is unhealthy. I think we were over concerned about keeping her from gaining too fast. Will she catch up, or will she be a 52 pound dog? She looks lean but not extremely thin.

·
Alpha schmalpha
4,358 Posts
She is still very young and has probably not had her first heat cycle yet! If she is active and desires food and you are delivering quality food at the right amount you will have to sit back at watch what her parents have made. I prefer to slow grow them to avoid any unnecessary structure problems with such a active breed.

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
My Ziva is 8 months, about 46 lbs, still all legs, tall, not ribby, shiny coat, active, playful. She's not a "breakfast fan" unless it's doctored up, but eats her other meals. I'm just letting her grow at her own pace, on decent food. She may end up on the petite side, or have a growth spurt. She'll be what she's meant to be.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
That training roll you're using is just full of sugar and other not-great and not-so-healthy crap.

I'd ditch it and feed some real meat or quality cheese as training treats--cut up very small, of course, sure you know that.

As for EVO, it used to be a great food, but was sold out a few years ago, so am skeptical of the quality now, worth researching.

Reactions: SieYa and alan j.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really was hoping for a medium or large standard female. I had her with a trainer for three weeks and she grew a lot but we were surprised that she only went up 3 pounds. She is running and working off a lot of calories and would still have some rib showing with several more pounds. Since we started raw, I wanted a low carb kibble and the choices are limited. Evo is grain free, potato free, higher in protein and fat and lower in carbs than other "high=end" foods. Another choice is Wysong, but they also recently changed the formula and brought some customer complaints (mostly from cat owners). I will try some new treats.

·
Pro Snake Wiggler
2,315 Posts
I switched off EVO when my kitty stopped doing well on it shortly after the buyout. Wasn't willing to risk it, tbh.

Your girl is still pretty young! Creed is just shy of 10 months and only 63# and he's only up 1# from last month. Let her continue growing and then see what her weight looks like. She will end up how she will end up. Her genetics will say whether she will be a larger or smaller female, nothing you can do about it except make sure her nutritional needs are met.

·
am the law
986 Posts
I really was hoping for a medium or large standard female. I had her with a trainer for three weeks and she grew a lot but we were surprised that she only went up 3 pounds. She is running and working off a lot of calories and would still have some rib showing with several more pounds. Since we started raw, I wanted a low carb kibble and the choices are limited. Evo is grain free, potato free, higher in protein and fat and lower in carbs than other "high=end" foods. Another choice is Wysong, but they also recently changed the formula and brought some customer complaints (mostly from cat owners). I will try some new treats.
If I am understanding correctly and you "board and train"ed her, I am not surprised she only gained three pounds in those three weeks. That is a stressful thing for any dog but especially a Doberman puppy that is still bonding with its owners.

·
_______
5,102 Posts
First of all it's not in the best interest of dogs to try to stuff them, much less puppies. If she has a rib or two slightly visible that is fine so long as her spine & hip bones aren't showing.

She is a little girl still, give her system time and don't try to stuff her or you could be setting yourselves up for other problems down the road. And what if she doesn't get over 70lbs? There are malinois lighter than that flying through the air at Mach 10, can't do that with a flying cow.

As an aside as with all things sometimes less is more and that goes for supplements too. People are supplement crazy anymore and I have learned to be more cautious about all that stuff.

e.g. there is even a recent recall of OTC herbal supplements from major chains(Target, Walgreens, Walmart) for human grade items like echinacea etc, some of the things found in the supplements instead of what they were labeled for were mind blowing.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I was concerned about Major's size when he was a pup. He seemed to be smaller than all the charts. Then he had a growth spurt and is now huge....even larger than the Doberman standards. I wouldn't let puppy weight concern me too much. Just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some of the replies are critical of me feeding for weight gain. Where were they when people were posting about their 50 or 55 pound, four month old dobs?

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I'm not sure why you're trying to restrict carbs in a growing puppy?
Evo is not generally recommended for large breed puppies (in the food industry "large breed" generally means anything that will be over 50 lbs at adult weight).
You can't just look at protein/fat percents in food. In growing puppies, Calcium to Phosphorus ratio is very important as are the content of other vitamins and minerals. Their needs can differ significantly from an adult dog or a small breed dog.

On the bag of EVO I have, they have actually blocked out the feeding recommendation for larger puppies and it says right on the bag that they recommend California Natural for large breed puppies.
The foods you are feeding could certainly be contributing to her lack of weight gain.

I would also talk with your vet about running some bloodwork to assess her liver, kidney and protein values. Things like juvenile renal disease, liver shunts and nutritional imbalances can all stunt growth. I would discuss parasite control with your vet as well.

Without seeing your girl it is impossible for anyone to say if she is underweight or undersized or both. In one post you say you think she "not unhealthy" and in another you say she could gain several more pounds and still have rib showing (which to me suggests that she is very underweight)?

If she truly is underweight, then the underlying cause needs to be addressed - whether she has some sort of medical condition or if her diet is not meeting her needs.
Also, training can be more challenging with puppies who underfed and always hungry.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Medical issues aside, I agree with the philosophy to let her grow at her own pace and that bigger is not necessarily better. Until he was 7 or 8 months old June was on track to only hit 64 pounds full grown according to the growth estimator for age/breed. He was way under what people said their puppies of the same age weighed. He was on the thinner side when I got him, and still had some ribs showing for a few months, but I didn't really want to shove food down his throat and he had a healthy enough appetite that he consistently gained weight. Now he's 11 months, just over 27", and 77 pounds. I expect that he may have a little filling out to do, but I'm glad I didn't supplement him since his size worked out just fine all on it's own. Maybe back off the training/boarding a little and try different foods? The stress is very likely getting to her, and you have plenty of time for intense training later. Personally, I'm a big fan of Canidae Pure Sea and Orijen Sux Fish.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The small kibble bag of Evo has a puppy chart. I didn't look on the large bag. The amount of food is only two cups for most of the chart. It seemed that a big concern of Evo, for large breed puppies, is they might grow too fast. I used Evo because the owner and trainer feed raw (Oma's pride) and Evo's nutrient ratios are more close to raw than most. I was feeding 10% veggies, otherwise, raw has no carbs. Another issue with carbs is they seemed to make her hyper -- like a Boston Terrier. I was giving her a lot of food by hand and she gets more carbs in training treats. I suppose I could use hot dogs or cheese but I don't want the sodium.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Indi is actually also 21 weeks and 36-38 pounds

I'm ignoring the weight for now since she looks and acts healthy. I feed her Acana ranchlands. She is all legs and this little stick for a body lol but no ribs or bones are showing. Just wait it out a bit longer I'm sure both our babies will just sprout up one day.

also just make sure she didn't pick up a parasite that may be enjoying your dog's food as well, a simple fecal exam checks that out right away.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
she won't stop growing in height until she's about a year, and she'll still put on muscle for another year or so. so yes, she still has more growing to do. ;)

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Some of the replies are critical of me feeding for weight gain. Where were they when people were posting about their 50 or 55 pound, four month old dobs?
If they have the structure then that weight is appropriate. My guy was that weight when he was that age and it was a correct weight for him.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts