Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My family has been looking for a European Doberman for quite some time and may have found the breeder we might be purchasing a puppy from. I was reading into the pedigree of the dam a bit last night and found something quite disturbing. The dam is an import from Ukraine, a kennel called San-Veori. The 4th generation in the pedigree shows two siblings were bred and produced the great-great grandpa of our future pup. I've looked online and turns out this dog was famous in Europe, and his name was Gino Gomez del Citone, from a breeder in Italy. He supposedly sired many, many pups and lived until he was 12, which then he passed away from DCM. Gino Gomez del Citone's parents are Astor del Citone x Arielle d`Amour del Citone, which both came from Prinz v. Norden Stamm x Tequila Mali del Citone. Form what I've seen, these are pretty strong European lines, but I can't figure out why del Citone would in-breed their puppies? I've seen Gino Gomez del Citone pop up on numerous dogs' pedigrees.

Anyone know if getting a pup from this breeder is still a good idea, given there was an in-breeding 4 generations back? And the pups from the inbreeding have gone to stud many other very successful dogs? I've attached Gino's pedigree in this link. Gino Gomez del Citone - Dobermann Database | Dobermann Review

thanks

·
Super Moderator
21,292 Posts
It's probably more helpful to look at the whole pedigree of your (proposed) puppy and the ethics of the breeder you are considering overall, in my personal opinion. There's so much more to picking a puppy than a single dog in a pedigree (though, that, too, matters...)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's probably more helpful to look at the whole pedigree of your (proposed) puppy and the ethics of the breeder you are considering overall, in my personal opinion. There's so much more to picking a puppy than a single dog in a pedigree (though, that, too, matters...)
Gino is part of the proposed puppy's pedigree, which was why I was wondering of the health and genetics concerns having an inbred dog as part of the pedigree. Albeit, Gino is pretty far down the pedigree but just wanted some more experienced Doberman owner/breeders input as this will be our first Doberman pup!

Also, does anyone know much about linebreeding? The proposed puppy's pedigree also has quite a few mention of Baron Nike Renewal. I've seen several European Dobermans with several of the same dogs popping up in a single pedigree so is that a Euro Doberman thing?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Not a Euro thing. Some breeders line breed or in-breed one gen and out breed the next and then do it again , to keep their particular line consistently looking the same. If the dog that shows up 4-6 times in a 4 generation pedigree has serious health factors, or regularly throws faults, like one in ten males are monorchid, or guts twisted, or an ocassional pup born with organs outside their body then it is irresponsible breeding. Good luck on getting the breeders to fess up though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts