Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i visited a schutzhund club about 2 wks ago as i am very interested in the sport and respect how knowledgable sch ppl are. anyways i noticed that in obedience class kane is stressed, it just took someone who knew what they where talking about to tell me (a member said something when they evaluated kane). so i changed how we train at home we now use lots of play and more clicker but in general a more intense playful experience. now i am a novice and we are only in intermidiate class and the biggest issue is kane wants to play with the other dogs. he wont take food or his toy at our class and i cant disrupt the class trying to get him into play mode with me. so i am looking for suggestions on how to get his enthusiasum up in class cuz i cant really build his focus if he is stressed.
now there is a beginner class right before mine would going in early and playing with him in the area but not distracting of the class help or perhapse going early and kenneling him so he is excited when class starts? any and all idea would be appreciated.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Is there an area you can go to where you can do what you need as far as getting him playing? Can you go far enough away he can eithe rplay or take treats?

How is he outdoors around other dogs? Can you go to an area with dogs, be far enough away you can get him working and work on focus?

Reactions: MeadowCat and Shoei

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Maybe he is not used to working with distractions. Everyday, while out on your walk, pick a park or area and do a 5 minute OB session. As the weeks go by, pick areas that have more distractions and once you see 100% focus, pick another area with even more distractions.

It's a build up, be patient, and always make it fun.

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
I'm not a SchH person, but I felt a focus and motivation class that we had to take before we started agility really helped. My boy would always 100% rather play with another dog than train with me, but now he places a greater value in working with me. His food drive (never really had a toy drive) and focus went through the roof. Excited!=focus all of the time. The goal really was for me to get my dog to want to work with me more than anything else.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dogsR4Life i do try to find all sorts of new places to train as well as the same places. i do go the dog park and take him to the seperate area to train then let him play and repeat about once a week for extra hard distractions.
Adara there is an area outside i could play with him and inside there is an area i could use to get him excited.
he is a little too good with other dogs to the point it is very hard to get his attention. prob my fault for not giving him enough structure when he was younger when he learned to play

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not a SchH person, but I felt a focus and motivation class that we had to take before we started agility really helped. My boy would always 100% rather play with another dog than train with me, but now he places a greater value in working with me. His food drive (never really had a toy drive) and focus went through the roof. Excited!=focus all of the time. The goal really was for me to get my dog to want to work with me more than anything else.
my trainer has invited me to her wed class that is for ob competition. i just havent had the time yet hopefully this wed!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mangujowa that soun there like a class i could benefit a ton from! doubt there is anything like it in my town. im pretty sure i have found one of the better trainers in town and i have developed a pretty good relationship with them. they suggested the sch club i visited. maybe i could convince her to develop a class like that.. ideas?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think you are going to need a trainer to help guide you through the foundation work needed to gain the drive and focus that you are looking for. And it's the foundation that is essential before you start adding distraction. While my competition experience is in SchH/IPO, I've also dabbled in AKC obedience. However, my advice can be generally applied. Find what you like, which it sounds like you already have. Ask those people how they learned. If none of them teaches classes, they probably know someone who does.

Good luck & enjoy learning with your boy!
Alissa Weaver

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just wanted to update you guys. i went to class about 15 min early the other night and played outside with him (had to really get into it to get him focused on me but it worked) before class started and with a little coaxing in class he took his toy! he also didnt start showing stress till about 3/4 the way through class. seems like this could work. even the trainer was very fast to notice the change in him. thanks for the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts