Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been asked about before but my search did me no good.
In the somewhat near future I would like to get a dog from a breeder. It won't be for a few years. I want to train the dog in schutzhund and am planning on moving to a location where that will be more feasible. I want to start with a well bred puppy who was bred to work. The problem I see is that I am opposed to cropping and want a dog with natural ears. How hard is it to find a working breeder who will sell an uncropped pup?

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
I believe working breeders in the USA are much more open to natural ears than show breeders, and there are a few people on the forum that have uncropped dogs from working breeders.

Reactions: bubsy

·
Registered
811 Posts
Yes you will find some working breeders in the US will allow pups to remain uncropped.

Many of the working breeders will state on their website that cropping is included in purchase price, but if you contact them and ask their policy, some will advise they will allow pups to go to their new homes uncropped.

As with show breeders, some working breeders will only crop and dock all of their pups, but I found many reputable working breeders to be approachable about leaving a pup uncropped.

Of course many unreputable BYB's leave the pups uncropped to help their profit margins but that is another thread topic.

Good luck in your puppy search!

Reactions: PatchworkRobot
1 - 3 of 3 Posts