Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well as all of you know trinity got fixed a couple of months ago. Well im not sure if its because this is around when she is suppose to be having her heat and shes not now that she fixed or what but she has been more hyper then ever. I have had female dogs before and gotten them fixed this is the first time ive seen one act like this. My room mates have been gone for a week and are coming back tonight. Is she acting like this because they are gone or because this is sort of her first none heat?

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
What do you mean Prettydobies, when you say that Trinity is acting more hyper than ever.

Non heat cycles (heat's that don't exist) shouldn't have any effect on a bitch. The behavior changes in bitches during heat cycles are related to hormones which are no longer present in the spayed bitch. So behavioral patterns and changes therein shouldn't be related to the fact that she was spayed.

As far as it being related to your roommates being gone I guess the real answer to that is "maybe". But it would depend on the what the relationship of the roommates to Trinity is.

Would you elaborate some on what behavior you are describing as hyper?

It may be more training issues than behavior related to physical changes.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well right around this time is when she usually would be having a heat but this she is fixed so i guess what im tring to say is that this is the first time shes use to having a heat but not having one cause she got fixed. I hope that made sense.

What i mean by hyper is i mean overly hyper almost scary hyper shes never been this way and i have kept up on her training. Id love to take her to the dog park to burn that energy off but i cant with it being in the 100's i dont want her to over heat. She has this thing where when she is excited and playing she wont drink any water. I would take her to the dog park attached to white rock lake but she wont go swimming. She loves playing in the sprinkler but we are under water restrictions.

Also she doesnt have that good of a relationship with my room mates. We will be having a talk with them tonight when they come home they have become a problem when it comes to trinity. 1. They have been feeding her " behind our backs " but we know about it and they deny it 2. My room mates daughter who is 16 also lives here and keeps using trinity as a pillow and the dumb girl doesnt get it that when trinity growls at her that means she doesnt like being used as a pillow.

I have been letting her out more and playing frisbee which she is basiclly just learning but loves and fetch with her squeek ball but the heat still bothers me. What is weird is trinity is socialized but yet when we go to dog parks she will not play with other dogs. She just follows me around. She use to have seperation anxity when she was little but she hasnt had it for about a year and i am home most of the day.

When it comes to the non heat cycle thing for the first few days before she became overly hyper she was acting like she did when she had the heats.

I hope this explains it all.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
PD,
It could be a combination of several things - your roommates being gone, less exercise because of the heat and so on... I don't think it has anything to do with her being spayed, but I could be wrong.
I know that Chi has been a royal pain lately but it's because her normal exercise has been cut in 1/2 almost since it's been just sooooooo hot here
My advice - try getting up super early and taking her for a good long walk ended with a game of frisbee or ball before it gets too hot. My schedule is generally up at 5am, cup of coffee (badly needed at 5am) and then out the door before 530 to walk both critters. We walk for about 30 min and then I take Chi to the field for frisbee. Then she's stuck in the house pretty much until 6 or 7 at night when we take a short run. I have found that if I take her out for even 10-15 min in the middle of the day just to walk around the yard and/or run through some basic obedience commands, it kind of helps.
If I don't get her out of a morning for a walk/frisbee, she's impossible the rest of the day and well into the evening!
As far as her not liking to play with other dogs at the dog park - I wouldn't worry too much about that. She finds you more interesting than the other dogs - that's a good thing! I know of too many people that have the opposite problem and have to dance around, bribe with treats and sing like fools to keep their dogs attention on them during training/walks/games, etc (myself included!)

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Prettydobies,

I agree with what Tracy had to say about this--sounds to me what you are describing is an energetic dog who presently (because of the heat) is lacking exercise--or at least not getting enough exercise.

I don't think it has anything to do with her heat cycle which no longer exists--even if she exhibited similar behavior. It does occur to me that if her heats fell during the summer in the past the hyper activity you observed might have simply been related to lack of exercise during hot spells then too. But that's only guess work.

I also don't think it has anything to do with the roommates being gone. But I'd put some hard and fast rules in place about Trinity and particularly the 16 year old. Growls are a warn off--the teenager needs to be clear on the fact if the dog is warning her that she needs to stop the behavior eliciting the growling. She can't be that stupid can she?

When we had hot spells around here and I was roadworking a dog for show conditioning I would get up at 4:00 or 4:30 to take him out and get the two miles in and to get him out to run in a field before the sun even came up. But I've always been a lark so getting up before the crack of dawn doesn't bother me. A friend who was NOT a lark but an owl used to take her dog (who was getting road worked) out at about 1:00 am after it cooled off--that worked too.

Basically it sounds like you really need to find a way to get her more exercise even with the heat.

As far as playing with other dogs--I've had dogs who liked to play with other dogs and those who didn't--if they didn't I threw balls for them, took them swimming (if they liked that) or in the case of one--found him deserted fields where he could just run to his hearts content all by himself.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol ok i just wasnt sure because last summer it was this hot just not for this long and since this summer was so bad i just really wasnt sure and thank you everyone for the advice

1 - 7 of 7 Posts