Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
True, Icannot see the beauty in an undocked dobermann as the tail just doesn't look right, but playing the devils advocate, an uncropped dobi doesn't seem to bother me but then in the UK we don't know any difference. THe cropped ears do give the dobi an added elegance.

It is a shame that no serious breeding programme took place to breed in desired characteristics like the work carried out by a Stynmere kennels
http://www.steynmere.com/BOBTAILS.html so it can be done.
He was working with a lethal gene in doing that experiment, which he mentions in his conclusions. Doubling up on the gene that causes natural bob tails in corgi's can produce all sorts of terrible birth defects. It was an interesting experiment, but not one that probably should be carried out on any large scale.

· Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I note that thete are breeds such as the miniture pincher and manchester terrier with naturally erect ears and it may be possible to bred this characteristic in using suitable candidates.
My understanding is there were attempts to do just that early in the history of the breed but without any success.

Another thing that has to be considered about using another breed for this purpose is you could be bringing in health problems that never existed in this breed before. Unfortunately, you don't get to select the traits you want with breeding, you get the entire package..and there could be extremely negative ramifications to that.

· Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
of course all the top breeders will abide by the law so they can carry on showing and all the byb's will profit because they will carry on docking regardless!!!
I think you'll see a lot of long term breeders that stop breeding completely, or switch to other breeds. That seems to be what's happened in other countries when anti cropping/docking laws have gone into effect-along with registrations decreasing for the breeds affected.

I'm on an email list about showing dogs (inclusive of all breeds), there's a sporting dog breeder from the UK on there. Her comments have been in the future, she'll be importing dogs from Canada or the US so she can own docked dogs-knowing that she'll never be able to show them or breed them, because she WONT breed if she can't dock the puppies. I don't think she'll be alone.

It certainly isn't going to benefit the breeds in the big picture for experienced breeders to bow out, but I certainly can't blame anyone who refuses to play in that sandbox anymore.

I think it's almost inevitable that eventually we'll be unable to crop/dock in this country..all we can do is delay it as long as possible. Personally, I'm glad I'm at a later point in life, where there just won't be that many more dobermans in the future for me..while I *might* be able to learn to live with drop ears, I really, really don't think I could look at those tails on a daily basis.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.