Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this rash in Whiskey's inner thighs and belly has been there for about a month. I thought it was from his excessive licking because he does chew up his paws, wrists and sometimes the top of his butt. I just put some Buddy BooBoo ointment on it and seems to calm it down a bit. But this time it's pretty ugly. I changed his food almost 3 Bags ago to Taste of the Wild Pacific. He was on Blue Buffalo Fish and sweet potato before. Only thing I have noticed is BAD GAS since I started the grain free. Also I have been supplementing fish oil and vitamin e at every meal. His coat is making some changes for the good and he's not as stinky and greasy anymore. Those are the only things I have done different since this rash has begun. Is a rash in this area common to a food allergy??? Or maybe to the supplements?

I intend on taking him to our vet, but I always want some input from the dobermantalk family so i have more ideas when going to him and asking him questions that he may not have thought of.

thanks everyone for any input!

Attachments

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Oh my goodness. Something is not agreeing with him. Could be allergies, the food, the laundry detergent you use to wash his bedding, etc, etc. I'm sure he's miserable. You might need to see a dermatologist.

Hope he's able to get relief soon.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,861 Posts
I've seen that in a couple of my dogs before--it seems to be a food-related (?) allergic reaction for them--at least, they get it with some kibbles, but not with others.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Oh poor baby - is he miserable?? Is it itching him? He looks almost raw in places?

Reactions: jacquelynchan

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it itchy? Is it seasonal? How old is he?
Did you try Benadryl?
It seems to be itchy because he does lick at it, and when i rub on the belly spot his foot goes crazy and he never does that, so i assume it feels good when i scratch/rub on the belly part.

i don't know if it's seasonal because this is the first time i've seen it.

He's about 8. we aren't for sure because he was adopted.

Haven't used benadryl yet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just called the vet, we are getting in today. Hopefully I can narrow it down to the food. Even though this is the third food I've switched him to, I'd hate to switch again, but if I have to, then I will.

The boiled chicken and rice idea sounds good. I will want to try that.

I'll let you all know what the vet says!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First let me say I have no idea and good luck at the vet....

But do dogs get Heat Rashes? just the area it is in... kinda fits
oooo, heat rash? hmmm, does kind of make sense. it's still quite cool here though. I will ask that when i go to the vet as well. thank you

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is a long shot as well, but about two months ago, I did buy him new dog beds from costco. The ones with the cedar??? I'm thinking no, because he's had the bed before a couple of years ago.....but you never know!

And if it was the detergent i use, would you think it would be in more of an area than just right there? I don't know. Lots of questions to ask the vet today!

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Good luck! It's going to be a little challenging to narrow it down so write down for the best; everything he eats (including any treats, bones), shampoos you use on him, what you use to wash his bedding, tick/flea treatments and so forth. :)

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Our red girl started getting rashes like that coincidentally(? or not) about a month or so after a series of vaccinations, given all at once.

We were given Animax ointment and switched her food 1st to Hills Ultra Allergen Z/D, then DD (salmon/potato).

Also, and you won't know this unless you get allergy tests or notice a huge difference after eliminating it but a lot of dogs are sensitive/allergic to chicken (of all things).

Before the food switch we were feeding Blue Buffalo w/chicken.

Our girl's rashes can literally appear overnight, at first they were so hideous they looked like burns. We were beside ourselves.

She still breaks out but not as frequently. Good luck and keep updated, curious what works for yours.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I agree with Jonesy's mom... I acutally posted before, asking if it could be heat rash, I guess I clicked off too quickly. Typically heat rash wouldn't last that long, but if it keeps getting licked and irritated, maybe. Dakota had some heat rash last week after running around outside, we put some ointment on it and it went away in a few days. I kept a good eye on her and tried to not let her lick it at all. Her licking made it look much worse, and she swelled up a nipple from likcing. Once we were stopped the licking, it cleared up in about 2 days.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I copied from some website, I had seen previously seen, not sure how correct but just passing it along.
Note:

Cedar shavings cause contact allergy in some dogs, due to the oil in the
chips. Dogs with this problem usually have itchiness and sometimes
hairloss. There may be secondary infections if the problem goes on for a
while. IThere is a chance that cedar chips may cause respiratory problems in
sensitive animals.

·
Registered
308 Posts
OH guaranteed the Costco Beds!!

We had tons of people who would come in the store with dogs with rashes and we would find out they're using Costco beds

when they stopped dogs got better. My dogs seem to be ok with them; even Rachel who gets grass allergies.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts