Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I took alices ears down after our 4th or 5th consecutive ear taping.......
On is standing good 90% of the time the other is like 3/4 standing but the one that is 3/4 was rubbed a little raw on the inside and its bleeding a tad i know i need to wait for it to heal before rapping it back up but should i rap the other one up since its fine to keep in standing is there any way to make it heal faster .I have left them down all night already and it looks a little better

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Why is it rubbed raw? and where? Are you wrapping too tight? I'd lose the vet wrap. I would go ahead and re-post. You may be able to not tape the red spot OR put a dab of neosporin on it and tape over it.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Try putting some gauze or cotton over the spot that is raw if it is only a tiny area and re-tape. If it doesn't seem like the ears are getting enough air, I'd definitely lose the vet wrap. :)

Glad to hear they're starting to stand!

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Why not take a close up photo of her ear where it's raw and post it here.

Thanks.

KC

Reactions: Cathy43 and Darkevs

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its raw down in the bottem not on top. inside her ears its beein rubbing and i make sure to make it soft on that tip not with any tape

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Try putting some gauze or cotton over the spot that is raw if it is only a tiny area and re-tape. If it doesn't seem like the ears are getting enough air, I'd definitely lose the vet wrap. :)

Glad to hear they're starting to stand!
This is my advice.

Also, if you're able to tell that one of the ears is able to stand 90% of the time then you're leaving it down too long! I can understand wanting the one ear to heal but I'd be wrapping up the other ear asap. It seems like through the whole posting process you're problem has been consistently leaving her ears "unwrapped" or down from posts for far too long. While Dreizehn's ears were being posted they never spend more than 10 minutes out of the posts.

Basically, if the ears are not 100% standing 100% of the time then they should not be left unposted for long periods of time (unless there's infection, etc), especially overnight!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Normally ive been putting them right back up but i left them down until i asked you guys what to do but i will try to put gauze it in with some neosporin and wrap them back up BTW

where am I supposed to position the bumpers ive developed a lil pocket on one and need a little more explanation on the bumpers

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
can`t help you with the bumpers, never used them, but looks/sounds like a good idea.

if any of my pups got a bit raw where the end of the post sits in the ear, I would put a bit of salve on the base before i placed it back in the ear. I also might `cushion`the base of the post more with a bit of a cotton ball added to the bottom of the post.

and yes, you can just post up one ear if the other one needs airing out too heal an owie or if one is standing and the other isn`t. :)

·
Registered
537 Posts
this might sound dumb would a band-aid work?
If it were me, I would just let the ear air out naturally until the sore spot went away, or to the point where it was around 80-90% healed at least.

Leaving the ear down for a few days won't hurt anything.

However, if you must, I'd do a touch of neosporin and a little non stick padding to cover the spot, then post.

The rubbing irritation that most likely caused the bleeding...can be avoided by leaving the ears unposted for at least a full 24 hours in between posting.

I'm sure someone will chime in stating this is wrong and incorrect, blah, blah...yet they will have no factual answer as to why. It's just unnecessary paranoia. Your doggy will thank you, mine did! :D

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
It looks like you are using tampons. I would pull the cottony part out of the bottom just a little so that you have a fluffier part at the bottom. The cardboard edge could be rubbing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts