Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here we go again......well apollo jumped of the couch and when he landed let out a yelpin howl...yep u guessed it he hurt his front foot...i called the vet they said it could be a sprain when he landed wrong so give it a few days.....this was fri night...so yest and today hes walkin on it but still limpin if he plays too much on it...the vet didnt seem to concerned that it may be broken or fractured because it was only not even a foot off the ground but there still may be that chance as far as im concerned..his lower leg is swollen a bit..i can touch it...squeeze it and he dont seem to mind....it feels the same as the other except for the swelling...looks the same too except for a lil swelling....he walks on it and even runs a lil on it but with a slight limp....i know the lil guy is sore hes about 4 months...how long for somethin like this to heal? Should i wait a few more days then take him to the vet? Any way i can feel for something wrong? If it is a sprain i know its gonna hafta heal on its own...like i said hes walkin on it more and more hits me in the head playing around with it even i know dogs can hide pain well just looking for some more advice from people that have been thru this before.....
thanks in advance
duker

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Its always better to be safe then sorry, if your not sure and it doesn't sit right with you, take him in. Like yhd vet said it might be a sprain buy he could have also torn something and if that doesn't get fixed and it heals wrong you can be in for more money in veg bills in the long run.

Pet massage can help with the healing process, sprains take longer to heal then a break. Ligaments get over stretched and when you over stretch ligaments it takes awhile to heal. I say if you need peace of mind see the vet.

I'm sending healing thoughts to your little guy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wonder if the breeder would know? He also raises horses...not that means anything but maybe hes seen this before

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well i took apollo to a diff vet and she said she recom xrays also...could be the plate thing mentioned...so thurs he goes back....she didnt see anything else wrong but like stated before better to have it ckd now before it becomes a prob later :)

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
Hope he's okay. Glad to hear you're taking him back in Thursday to be looked over again.

Keep us posted.

Reactions: Australdi

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welp folks turns out apollo is ok but come to find out he must of broke one of his bones when he waa a puppy before i got him..the xray showed that and when he went jumpin of the couch he landed just right and aggrevated it again...nothin broke but the vet did see a small tiny teenie hairline crack prob from the orig injury long ago..she said its healin nicely :) but on the down side she advised me no playing..jumpin...nothin .....for 4 weeks........ brief walks thats about it ....she advised i leave him in his crate/pen for that time so that it will heal...i hate to leave that poor guy in there but its for his own good and if it doesnt heal correctly could lead to problems down the road so i guess apollo and i will be a little sad for the next few weeks but i guess we gotta do what we gotta do
Thanks for all concerns and get well thoughts :)
Duker

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
I'm glad you got a definitive answer on what's wrong. Good on you for pursuing it. Now you know what to do to help him heal properly!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts