Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Type vs. Pedigree

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Murreydobe 
#1 · (Edited)
I was talking with a friend of mine the other day about breeding type to type versus breeding pedigree to pedigree (of course, given ALL other considerations [like health] are properly investigated as well). Personally, I am a believer in breeding type to type, the only reason being I am a more visual type of person and can actually see the major contributors on both sides of the equation. The gal I was talking to believes that pedigree to pedigree is just a good as breeding type to type, I don't know so much about this as you could have two different types of dogs and I would think this would possibly throw any probable consistency in the litter to the wind. Breeders: Thoughts? Experiences?

#2 ·
I would never breed any animal simply because their pedigree was sharp. I know plenty of horses with really nice papers that arent worth a s**t. Then again, there are some papered animals with less-than-stunning pedigrees and amazing conformation and ability. I definitely say judge the animal before judging the paperwork.

#3 ·
Apparently I am not being clear enough. I am talking about those who choose to breed their QUALITY, JUDGED animals.

#7 ·
So what exactly did I say that offends you so much you feel the need to respond in the manner you are responding? I get it, you wouldn't breed. Good for you, I am not planning on breeding either. However, I would like to LEARN about breeding and how responsible people make those decisions. It helps me to better understand the breed and it also helps to understand some of the conversations I follow from time to time when speaking with the doberman fancy.

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks, I guess my terminology would be off. I looked it up (thanks Cheryl) and Phenotype is what I am meaning to be talking about. So, would you place equal importance on phenotype and pedigree? Or would there be one that would weigh over the other when it comes to the final nuances of that breeding decision? Or does it really matter? Or would it be case by case subjective?

Really, what is the big deal? Or is there even a big deal? I am just trying to understand this a bit better.

#8 ·
So, would you place equal importance on phenotype and pedigree?
I think it always depends on what you're trying to do, where you're trying to go, what you want to improve ...

Ideally, the phenotype you are looking for would be strong in the pedigree you're considering. I don't know why anyone would expect to get a particular phenotype from a pedigree that wasn't strong in that area.

#12 ·
I would think they would be of equal importance in your planning a breeding. I don't see how you could consider one without the other. Maybe I'm not getting what you are saying. You might give some on one or the other to get to your goal, but they are still of equal importance overall.

#13 · (Edited)
I apologize. I of course interpreted what he was saying in a totally different way, to me it sounded crass. That was how I interpreted it anyway. On rereading the post a few times I understand where I would have heard this wrong. Again, I am sorry.

I also thought I had covered this in my original post, but it sounds like I am the only one who sees it. Originally all I wanted to discuss was type vs. pedigree when it came to breeding decisions, given ALL other parts to the equation had been duly considered. I am also hearing that no one else saw or heard that in my original post so I also apologize for my poor communication.

I thought it was a honest question, I really didn't intend for it to be anything else. :( Sorry.

#14 ·
I saw or heard it in your original post.

I apologize. I of course interpreted what he was saying in a totally different way, to me it sounded crass. That was how I interpreted it anyway. I see I heard this wrong. Again, I am sorry.

I also thought I had covered this in my original post, but it sounds like I am the only one who sees it. Originally all I wanted to discuss was type vs. pedigree when it came to breeding decisions, given ALL other parts to the equation had been duly considered. I am also hearing that no one else saw or heard that in my original post so I also apologize for my poor communication.

I thought it was a honest question, I really didn't intend for it to be anything else. :( Sorry.

#15 ·
I think that for people who don't have decades in the breed and have not seem much of what came before a dog - the "type" would naturally tend to be more important than pedigree. However, I think that is a mistake that a lot of people make in every breed.......... and I'm speaking as a novice who is contemplating breeding my first litter later this year.

I'm trying to find both type AND pedigree........... and it ain't easy - LOL! Even with both, it is still a bit of a crap shoot to see what you will get.

I also agree that you can have a golden pedigree, but if that particular dog is not an excellent example of the breed, I'd pass them by. Sometimes the more popular (read shown more) brother is the one who gets the bitches, while another brother may not have the flash that won, but does have a good solid standard form........... they may actually produce better than the flashy one.

All I can say is that I spend a lot of time researching pedigrees on DobeQuest and my only lament is that so many dogs don't have a picture on it......... makes me nuts!!

Reactions: sundobe
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.