Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Glad it is almost here. Good luck in your obedience classes. They will be very helpful.
Yes, obedience classes are for socialization, but a different type, not like would happen on a playdate, doggie daycare, or out meeting the public.

Bruno should not be allowed to "go say hi" to other dogs. This will be very distracting for him, the instructor, and for the other owners and dogs in the class.

With the exception of some puppy kindergarten classes, obedience classes are not for meeting other dogs. Obedience classes are to help Bruno focus on you despite distractions, learn to obey commands, and develop a deeper bond with you, among other things. Play dates are for playing. But class is for working, not meeting and greeting.

Check out this article : http://www.flyingdogpress.com/sayhi.html
One obedience club we attended even handed this out at the beginning of obedience classes, it is a really good article.

Have fun with Bruno and let us know how the class went.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Murreydobe said:
If you want your dog to pay attention to you during the class, I wouldn't be letting him interact with other dogs beforehand. It's hard enough to keep them focused in that kind of environment as it is..I sure wouldn't make it any harder in a basic class.
Exactly. I totally agree. It just makes things easier on everyone (the dog, other dogs in class, the owners) that way.
Btw, this is only said to help make you & Bruno's life much easier. The training experience will go much smoother.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.