Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's right. Two more sleeps and Bruno has his first obedience class. I'm really excited. Maybe a little OVER excited. But that's okay. I have plenty of questions. I do know I prolly won't get to them all on Sunday. But there are a few I'm egar to know and ask.

My husband and I will be going together. I doubt he's as excited as I am about this LOL I think the part Bruno will like is meeting other dogs. He seems to take to dogs really good. Like I said before tho, all his "friends" are smaller dogs. So if there are bigger dogs he might not know what to do lol. Well no, he will. He plays with his sister from time to time (we have a play date set for Monday also for them to play!!).

Anyway point being of this post was to say how excited and thrilled I am this day has finally come :) I think it will be a great experience for all 3 of us :)

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Glad it is almost here. Good luck in your obedience classes. They will be very helpful.
Yes, obedience classes are for socialization, but a different type, not like would happen on a playdate, doggie daycare, or out meeting the public.

Bruno should not be allowed to "go say hi" to other dogs. This will be very distracting for him, the instructor, and for the other owners and dogs in the class.

With the exception of some puppy kindergarten classes, obedience classes are not for meeting other dogs. Obedience classes are to help Bruno focus on you despite distractions, learn to obey commands, and develop a deeper bond with you, among other things. Play dates are for playing. But class is for working, not meeting and greeting.

Check out this article : http://www.flyingdogpress.com/sayhi.html
One obedience club we attended even handed this out at the beginning of obedience classes, it is a really good article.

Have fun with Bruno and let us know how the class went.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do know he isn't there to socialize with other dogs. It says it right in the write up I have. But we are also there early on registration day where we get to meet the other ppl there and their dogs. Not during class, but before hand. That is what I meant :)

Thanks for hte link, I'll check it out :)

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I dare you not to wet your pants laughing at the "punch line" of the first part of the article :) I guess you're the one that originally posted the link to flyingdogpress, Dobesanddragons. Thank you! I have read and reread probably every article on that site and want to order "Bones Fell from the Sky" so badly (it's in the top 5 of a very long list of books that I want :).
I love how she talks about your relationship with your dog. She really gave me something to think about with how I've approached training Chi in the past.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Great website, ditto on the thanks, the "sayhi" article is a must read for everyone that owns a dog. If all owners would read it then maybe there wouldn't be as many "rude" dogs OR owners out there.

I haven't ran upon a situation like this yet, but one never knows when something like this may happen. I would just have to be bold enough to tell the person to keep their dog under control if they approached my dogs and caused those types of reactions. I guess I would have some huffy people walk away but as the article says, it is our responsibility to protect OUR dogs, so be it if I made some people mad.

Very good article.

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
dobesanddragons said:
Glad it is almost here. Good luck in your obedience classes. They will be very helpful.
Yes, obedience classes are for socialization, but a different type, not like would happen on a playdate, doggie daycare, or out meeting the public.

Bruno should not be allowed to "go say hi" to other dogs. This will be very distracting for him, the instructor, and for the other owners and dogs in the class.

With the exception of some puppy kindergarten classes, obedience classes are not for meeting other dogs. Obedience classes are to help Bruno focus on you despite distractions, learn to obey commands, and develop a deeper bond with you, among other things. Play dates are for playing. But class is for working, not meeting and greeting.

Check out this article : http://www.flyingdogpress.com/sayhi.html
One obedience club we attended even handed this out at the beginning of obedience classes, it is a really good article.

Have fun with Bruno and let us know how the class went.
Oh DOG, I LOVE that article!!! I've seen it before and I really need to save it to my favorites list.

The advanced obedience class I go to is the class after basic, and a new one starts every 10 weeks...........time after time for over 3 years now, I have watched people with their dogs in basic..... it is a never ending source of entertainment. I can say this knowing that I was once a beginner too, and people probably chuckled over my dog and I. You can always pick out the people that are just so clueless....and determined to stay that way. Invariably, they have a lab or golden puppy.... or a labradoodle - LOL!!

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Luv_my_Bruno said:
I do know he isn't there to socialize with other dogs. It says it right in the write up I have. But we are also there early on registration day where we get to meet the other ppl there and their dogs. Not during class, but before hand. That is what I meant
If you want your dog to pay attention to you during the class, I wouldn't be letting him interact with other dogs beforehand. It's hard enough to keep them focused in that kind of environment as it is..I sure wouldn't make it any harder in a basic class.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Murreydobe said:
If you want your dog to pay attention to you during the class, I wouldn't be letting him interact with other dogs beforehand. It's hard enough to keep them focused in that kind of environment as it is..I sure wouldn't make it any harder in a basic class.
Exactly. I totally agree. It just makes things easier on everyone (the dog, other dogs in class, the owners) that way.
Btw, this is only said to help make you & Bruno's life much easier. The training experience will go much smoother.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts