Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I've heard two male dobermans cannot live together. I personally think that's bull but I want to know what you guys have to say. I also e-mailed my dobe mentor and she said that it all depended on that dog itself. So what do you guys think, can two male dobies live together?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I am sure it has been done but I would never try it again. Years ago I had two male boxer pups, they were within weeks apart in age and my vet told me that it would not work, she said that they would fight because one would be boss. I just let it go in one ear and out the other because they were close, I already had gotten them and they ate out of the same bowl, slept together etc. UNTIL one day when they were nearing a year old my little girl was caught in the middle of them, thankfully she was not hurt, but they were going at it strong. We broke the fight up so I figure that dominance wasn't established between them that round. Unfortunately we had to part with one of them. I would never have two large males together again.

So in my book it is not something people should even consider unless they really know what they are doing and I still wouldn't personally.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I dont know...Ive never had many males...definately not two at one time...but My boyfriend has a golden retriever that is wonderful with other dogs...but one time at the dog park he got into a little spat with another golden retriever...so Im thinking it was probably a Male...that is the only experience I have had with two males of the same breed...
another question could be...
Do the same rule of "two of the same breed male dogs not getting along" apply if they are littermates? or if two males are owned and raised together since puppies in the same household...and are NOT littermates?

I know its not recommended to try raising two puppies at all lol but just to ask the question of what kind of exceptions apply if there are any. :)

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Years ago I had two male boxer pups, they were within weeks apart in age
lol I was typing at the same time as you, Dakari and I think you may have answered part of my addition to the question:) Were the two boxers littermates too? That would answer my other part of the question too lol

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
LapDog said:
Do the same rule of "two of the same breed male dogs not getting along" apply if they are littermates? or if two males are owned and raised together since puppies in the same household...and are NOT littermates?

QUOTE]

Littermates living together are likely to have major fights, whether they're same sex or not.

There are isolated cases of two male dobermans (or a male doberman living in a multi male household) living together for their entire lifespan without a problem..but they're the exception, not the rule. This breed is known for being same sex aggressive, especially the males. This is true whether both males are neutered, whether they're raised together or not.

Once the fights start, they DON'T get resolved. Life becomes an ongoing situation where the focus of those dogs' lives is to get to the other guy to kill him. Dogs can get hurt or killed, people who get in the middle of it (either inadverdently or in trying to break it up) can get hurt.

At that point, the only options are to place one dog in another home or keep them separated at all times..it can be a real hassle trying to keep them apart, and gates can get left open, doors not shut...I think it's also unfair to the dogs to have to restrict their lives to part time members of the family as well.

Many, many rescues and breeders refuse to place males into a multi male home..that's not an arbitrary rule. They're going with the percentages, they have good reason to have that policy.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Lapdog, no they were not littermates, they were like three or four weeks apart, I had gotten one for my teenage daughter, we had picked out a beautiful female and she got her paw messed up so they wouldn't let us have her and so we ended up taking a male, Jericho. Then about two weeks later I got another one, again wanted a female but could only find males so I got Jasper. They were such sweet beautiful pups, and I just couldn't believe they would fight LOL cause they stuck like clue to each other but alas! they did. So as Murreydobe mentioned, I didn't want to be unfair to either dog and have to keep them locked away and both not be able to be totally involved with the family so we found a good home for Jericho. It was a very hard decision, we loved them both.

I would never do it again, not littermates or whatever because I saw firsthand what happened and won't put myself or another dog in the position to have to fall in love with a pet and have to give him away. It's not fair to anyone, especialy the dog that loved us already.

I wanted another female to go with Da'Kari but after the advice from others that there is also a possibility that females would fight but not as much as males, I was not willing to take the chance in fear I would get myself in that situation though slight, still not worth it.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
my three girls get into it sometimes! it mainly starts with Raven.. she thinks she is boss but really she is not.. She would have been if our other dogs were small dogs. I have seen a few male to male households and not a problem. but who knows...

·
Registered
323 Posts
If you wind up with two alpha males you are asking for serious problems. You will find people who do or have had two males in the same house but it is the exception and a lot of luck. Bad for the dogs and anyone living with them.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Murreydobe said:
There are isolated cases of two male dobermans (or a male doberman living in a multi male household) living together for their entire lifespan without a problem..but they're the exception, not the rule. This breed is known for being same sex aggressive, especially the males. This is true whether both males are neutered, whether they're raised together or not.

Once the fights start, they DON'T get resolved. Life becomes an ongoing situation where the focus of those dogs' lives is to get to the other guy to kill him. Dogs can get hurt or killed, people who get in the middle of it (either inadverdently or in trying to break it up) can get hurt.

Many, many rescues and breeders refuse to place males into a multi male home..that's not an arbitrary rule. They're going with the percentages, they have good reason to have that policy.
Agreed. It is not bull at all, esp. when the Doberman male reaches maturity. Things might be somewhat okay while one or both dogs are young, but then maturity kicks in. Check out this thread too for more information
http://www.dobermantalk.com/showthread.php?t=1095

·
Extraordimary
4,969 Posts
Murreydobe said:
Many, many rescues and breeders refuse to place males into a multi male home..that's not an arbitrary rule.
Many of the males in rescue are there because people wouldn't listen when they were told males wouldn't get along once they both reached maturity and now Zeus and Apollo are trying to kill each other ... And one had to go. There are times I'd like to just reach through the phone and choke these people. The situation that immediately comes to mind for me is two males named Bronson and Brando. They were fighting daily. There was a child in the mix. One of the dogs was taking the brunt of it and being hurt / stitched up on a regular basis. Rescue eventually got Brando.

I've taken care of another breeder's kennel while they were on vacation. You couldn't walk an adult male past another male's enclosure - they would go nuts. They literally wanted to kill each other. Two males in a frenzy to fight is something to be taken quite seriously. They aren't joking.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have 3 males.. not all dobermans of course.. but they get along good.. as long as you have two males that are submissive you shouldnt have a problem.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Yes, and your DOBERMAN male is just a baby puppy right now. Many problems happen as they mature, as you already know.
It is the Doberman you should be concerned about, but are not. That worries me b/c if I remember correctly your Dobe male is housed with at least one small breed male that could get hurt pretty bad if things turned ugly.
Huge risk you are taking, I really hope for your Doberman puppy's sake and all of the dogs involved that things turn out okay b/c the odds are not in your favor.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
and they just posted about how the male is growling and snapping at people... now what a dog does to people is not the same as another dog - but i have also said before that what a doberPUPPY will tolerate is much different than what an adult male doberman will tolerate.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Oh, I just read this after I replied to the other post, DobiLove I would be very concerned if I were you. Keep a very close eye on them, because like they said it can get ugly quick. I have never seen to adult male dogs go after each other, but I know how ugly it can get with horses, in seconds, there is nothing you can do. Prevention is the key.

For some reason I thought your other dogs were female

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
So why exactly can't two male dobies live together? My Doberman mentor told me that it all depends on that one dog and how that dog reacts to others...

Edit: my doberman mentor has been showing for awhile(I'll need to ask her exactly how long) but she had 3 male dobies that all got along fine. They were all show dogs and her show females were the ones that got into it.

·
Banned
675 Posts
The reason that as a *rule* two male Dobermans can't live together is hormonal, apparently. Neutering does not remove all hormones and neutering has differing effects on different dogs. So neutering is very often not a way to make two male Dobermans get along.

They usually get along fine if one or both is a puppy. It's when one or both reaches adolescence or young adulthood that the fights usually start. I once had two intact males who lived together peacefully. I think in their case it really did depend on the individual dogs, they came from a litter that was very tolerant that way. But no one knew when they were puppies that they'd turn out that way. The only reason I had the two was that one of them had had two bad homes and been hit by a car along the way and the breeder wanted a permanent home for him. She agreed to let me try to see if he would get along wtih his brother who I had had since he was a puppy. It so happens that they did. When they were about 7, I got their nephew, another intact male. The three got along fine and I was congratulating myself on what a good dog owner/trainer I was. Then one of the older dogs died. Soon after that the remaining uncle and the nephew started fighting. The best I could tell the nephew was starting the fights. I didn't understand then but think now that he was making a bid for the alpha spot since his other uncle's death had destabilized the pack order.

Finally one day they didn't just squabble but seriously tried to kill each other. I was alone in the house and neither dog was wearing a collar. For anyone who has never seen that kind of a fight I hope you never do. It seemed like forever before I could get them separated, there was blood splattered on my living room walls and both dogs were bleeding. I took the nephew to the vet to get stitched up and had him neutered at the same time. I kept the dogs separated for quite awhile then tried to reintroduce them but the fights started again. I eventually found the nephew another home. Today I would not even try to keep two males together.

I did get my puppy Monte who I have now when I still had my male Doberman Mic but I only did that because Monte was a puppy, Mic was very good natured, and since he was 12 I knew he probably wouldn't still be with me
when Monte reached maturity. Mic died last January.

Thre are some breeds of dogs where the males are much less likely to fight than male Dobermans are. Generally these are breeds which were created to work in packs, such as hounds and hunting dogs. Dobermans were created pretty much to work alone with a handler and to have a higher level of aggression than say retrievers. I think that is why there is such a difference.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I agree. I don't think I would try 2 male dobermans. I can see with my male his "jealousy" I guess you can say. That probably isn't a good way to say it. Sorry. He loves to cut in when I am petting Doodle. He is my male Standard poodle. But he has always been the submissive. You can tell who is the alpha between the two. My question is if you have an older dog and introduce a puppy, will he "teach" the puppy that he is the "alpha"? I have heard both ways. That the puppy will try to take over the position of the older dog, or the the puppy will learn its position?

·
Premium Member
10,452 Posts
I've had Dobes off and on since 1959. I have only had one female and placed her when she was about three and swore I'd never have another. I like males, I prefer their attitudes and temperaments.

And I'm one of the exceptions to the rule of NOT trying to keep more than one male Doberman in a household. There are other people who have been successful at this but not many and I would NEVER EVER recommend anyone even try to do it. Other people have seen me post other places and my recommendation is always the same. It's not safe, it'll probably be a disaster and one or both Dobes and/or the owners will probably be hurt in the fight this is nearly inevitable.

In general it is not a good idea to have two anythings that are about the same age. Especially if they are puppies. Puppies take a lot of work and attention to grow them into well behaved pleasant dogs. Puppies raised in pairs tend not to get enough individual attention and tend on the whole to be more focussed on their dog partner than their human owners.

Two Dobe males are especially problematic. When they hit adolescence they nearly always end up fighting because they are trying to establish pack order (what people sometimes call dominance). Once they start to fight they continue to fight--keeping them as seperate but equal Dobes isn't a good solution--neither dog gets enough time with his people and accidents can (and unfortunately generally do) happen. Much to the detriment of both dogs.

I've seen dozens of sad stories on other lists and boards about the litter mates or similarly aged Dobe males who always got along just fine--until they grew up a bit and started to fight. I know that many of the folks who have posted on this subject have seen these posts too and know just how often it ends up with one of the males needing to be placed in order to keep them from destroying each other.

I don't even think it's a good idea to get dogs and bitches that are the same age--I keep a minimun age seperation of two years between my Dobes--often it's closer to three. That way each dog has a chance for a solitary puppyhood without having another puppy sharing attention, time for training etc. I think you get much more satisfactory adults that way.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I have a question, if you have a male dobe and let's say you are at the park or even in your own backyard. If another male dog (not a dobe) approches your male dobe will they normally be o.k. or will the male dobe automatically want to fight or be aggressive. I am talking about a mature male that is no longer intact. Does it depend on the other dog ?
We have alot of friends with dogs both male and female who visit us and their dogs are always welcome. I guess this is one of the reasons I am getting a female, I just did not want the hassle or have to worry about this as much as you would with a male.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Ive seen a few male dobermans at the dog park that did perfectly fine with the other breeds there...however, I have never seen two male dobermans at the dog park at the same time...

1 - 20 of 68 Posts