Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I see there is quite the discussion (dating back to 2009) regarding the "lack of reputable breeders in Minnesota".

This is absolutely ridiculous. There are several wonderful Doberman breeders in Minnesota... and several horrible breeders, as you would expect with anything else. It only takes some research to find them, but you don't have to look far, and you certainly don't have to drive to Lousianna to find a beautiful, well tempered doberman.

The Doberman Pinscher Club of America has a solid listing of reputable breeders for each state: DPCA | The Doberman | Breeder Referral
I have had personal experience with two on this list: Pine Crest Dobermans (Monticello), and Rio Gran (south Minneapolis suburb).

Bill Pine runs Pine Crest, has been showing (and winning) for many years. Both of these breeders are responsible, not overbreeding and breeding to standard and for health and temperment. Pine Crest breeds in conformity with the “Breed Standard” and the ethical standards established by the American Kennel Club (AKC), the Doberman Pinscher Club of America (DPCA) and the Canadian Kennel Club (CKC). Pine Crest has been designated an AKC "Breeder of Merit." He is extremely well connected, and the MN Doberman Rescue group, which is very active, endorses him and has never had pups show up for rescue from his litters (they have seen many dogs from KingsRansom unfortunately).

Karen Beskau runs the Rio Gran facility in Hastings, MN. She also has a well respected grooming school, and a boarding facility you have to see to believe (check out her website here: Rio Gran Training Academy, dog and cat boarding kennel, pet grooming, dog obedience training - Hastings Minnesota). She runs a top notch training program as well. Her dobermans are stunning, she has spreads in national Doberman magazines regarding her dogs and bitches, and is a loving and responsible breeder of quality show/pet dobermans.

Both breeders fly in the best ear cropper in the country for their pups, and are extremely selective in who they sell their puppies to. They do not just sell show litters, but every litter comes from championship lines and pedigrees are always provided along with AKC registration papers. Price is $1800 for non-show pups, $2500 for show quality pups which may seem steep, but for a quality dog, with piece of mind, and NO AIRFARE if you are in the upper midwest, it's completely worth it. They stay in touch with you after adoption, and would take their pup back in a heart beat if any issue came up.

The Minnesota Doberman Pinscher Club President is Nancy Lehrman. This is also an active group, her email is: [email protected] if there are additional questions regarding reputable Minnesota breeders. She and her husband also breed fine Dobermans.

If any of you question the integrity of Doberman breeders in Minnesota, PLEASE check into these two breeders at least, before declaring Minnesota a place where Dobes go to die.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
You mentioned 2 breeders. I consider that a lack of good breeders considering the size of Minnesota.

While the DPCA breeder list is a good start, it also shouldn't be taken as the gospel. There are several breeders listed for my state that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.

Always do your homework when looking for a breeder! My signature line has a great breeder checklist :nicejob:

·
joie de vivre
11,198 Posts
I would still consider a state the size of Minnesota lacking in good breeders when it only has 2 to claim.

I don't believe anyone was trying to insult those breeders. It is more of a statement that you have to look hard because there are so many more piss-poor breeders than good ones in Minnesota. Missouri is similar in that we have a ton of horrid, disgusting BYB and puppy mills but just a select few good breeders. That's in no way an insult to the good breeders of Missouri, but a statement about how much more likely you are to find a bad breeder.

There are only 2 breeders in Missouri I would recommend to anyone, there are 4 listed on the DPCA breeder referral, and 1 of the breeders I would suggest isn't even on there, and there are far more than that producing puppies in the state of MO.

The DPCA breeder referral is a decent starting place to look, but it's not fool proof of not so great breeders.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
You mentioned 2 breeders. I consider that a lack of good breeders considering the size of Minnesota.

While the DPCA breeder list is a good start, it also shouldn't be taken as the gospel. There are several breeders listed for my state that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.

Always do your homework when looking for a breeder! My signature line has a great breeder checklist :nicejob:

I could not agree more with this statement - there are several breeders on the DPCA list for my state that I absolutely would not touch either!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was responding to many postings stating that there are no reputable breeders in Minnesota, which is simply not the case, as I have had wonderful experience with two of them. I read multiple threads that assumed there was nothing in the state, that's all I am responding to.

I did mention that Nancy Lehrman, President of the Minnesota DPC is a breeder as well I believe... although she may not be an active breeder anymore, she would certainly be able to point to other reputable breeders in Minnesota.

I am not saying this is an exhaustive list either. And the DPCA state listing is only a starting point -- agreed. There most certainly are more very reputable breeders in the state as well, I am merely speaking on behalf of two of them I have had direct experience with.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Thanks for your insight :)

Here's a recent thread on Pine Crest: http://www.dobermantalk.com/new-member-introduction/64153-hi.html

I was responding to many postings stating that there are no reputable breeders in Minnesota, which is simply not the case, as I have had wonderful experience with two of them. I read multiple threads that assumed there was nothing in the state, that's all I am responding to.

I did mention that Nancy Lehrman, President of the Minnesota DPC is a breeder as well I believe... although she may not be an active breeder anymore, she would certainly be able to point to other reputable breeders in Minnesota.

I am not saying this is an exhaustive list either. And the DPCA state listing is only a starting point -- agreed. There most certainly are more very reputable breeders in the state as well, I am merely speaking on behalf of two of them I have had direct experience with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep.
I almost bought a red girl from the PineCrest/Alberta Canada breeder's litter discussed in the thread. She is a beautiful pup sired by a male who was - himself - sired by a PineCrest male (CH Trump's Diesel, CGC). The mother of this puppy (Sassi) was also sired by a PineCrest male: (Am/Can/Int'l CH Pine Crest Standing Ovation, CGC).

I hooked into a lengthy thread that seemed to constantly steer potential MN puppy buyers to other states. I hope at least I have pulled out a few names for these people to start with.

thx~

·
Extraordimary
4,927 Posts
Yep.
I almost bought a red girl from the PineCrest/Alberta Canada breeder's litter discussed in the thread. She is a beautiful pup sired by a male who was - himself - sired by a PineCrest male (CH Trump's Diesel, CGC). The mother of this puppy (Sassi) was also sired by a PineCrest male: (Am/Can/Int'l CH Pine Crest Standing Ovation, CGC).

I hooked into a lengthy thread that seemed to constantly steer potential MN puppy buyers to other states. I hope at least I have pulled out a few names for these people to start with.

thx~
I bolded the part I'm talking about. If you're talking about Gentry's Agadorably Sassi, I don't know where you're getting your pedigree info - she's an Agador daughter, and has no Pine Crest breeding in her own pedigree that I'm aware of.

I don't know the Pine Crest breeder personally, but I'll say I've been warned off by someone who does know him and that's all I'm going to say about that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bolded the part I'm talking about. If you're talking about Gentry's Agadorably Sassi, I don't know where you're getting your pedigree info - she's an Agador daughter, and has no Pine Crest breeding in her own pedigree that I'm aware of.

I don't know the Pine Crest breeder personally, but I'll say I've been warned off by someone who does know him and that's all I'm going to say about that.
I misspoke.
You are correct, Sassi is through Agador's line, the breeder told me that. But his male, Bentley, is Sassi's half brother on her fathers side. Agador is Sassi and Bentley's dad. She has been recently bred to Spartan, and will be whelped in Alberta Canada in the next months. We were speaking about several current and potential litters, and I misspoke. His foundation bitch, Cricket, is a BFL-1 doberman.. and he has always bred for longevity.

I don't know what "warnings" you were given about Pine Crest, but I have nothing but great things to say about my direct experience with him and his fellow MN breeders...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'll second that I have heard that Rio Gran comes highly recommended however from my understanding she does very limited breedings so can be hard to get a puppy from. The MN Dobe Rescue has several that speak well of her and her facility - as well as my dobie trainer.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Please note: old thread:

I see that Pine Crest doesn't appear to have a web site anymore - does any one know what's up with that?

·
Big Enough
104 Posts
I don't remember seeing/hearing about PineCrest when I was living in MN and looking in 2005/2006... But it's been awhile now, were they on the DPCA referral list then? Rio Gran I remember, but I don't think they had any litters or planned breedings in the years I was looking so I kept looking... And no, I wasn't looking for instant gratification, I researched (not quite enough as it turns out), looked, and then waited for over a year from start to finish...

·
Super Moderator
21,271 Posts
Oh, and I know Tersel wasn't currently breeding back then, I think they made it sound like he was retired...
From what I can tell, he is somehow now associated with the King's Ransom people. He co-owns a "Vicson" dog, I think, which is somehow associated with them. I could be misremembering, of course, but I think I saw him listed on one of them in a show catalog.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts