Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Da Boss
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brandy played too hard this weekend and was really limping on that back leg again, so that always makes me worry. I was telling a co-worker about it and he said that he had a dog with similar problems. He started feeding the dog a can of tuna every other day and they never really had a problem after. I know the Omega 3's are good, but I just can't imagine tuna being all that great for a dog. Has anyone had any experience with this? I'm thinking it would be better just to do fish oil if that were the case.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
That sounds odd to me, but who knows. I would never give my dog or cat that much tuna myself. I do give Grizzly Salmon Oil and increased the doses to therapeutic levels for my Vizsla with arthritis. I also added pain meds so can't tell you what IS working but she isn't limping :)

Has the leg been xrayed, etc.?

·
Da Boss
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Adara. That's pretty much what I was thinking too.

No, we haven't had it x-rayed yet. The vet told us that she didn't think it was necessary when we brought her in last month. I'm kind of leaning toward getting one, but my husband is convinced it's arthritis and doesn't want to stress Brandy out with being put under for the procedure. She does get better when she's not running around like a nut. I just feel bad for her, because she loves to run and now all that she can do is walk or she'll limp. I will definitely look into the fish oil, hopefully that will help.

·
Da Boss
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found this great article with info on fish oil for dogs. Adara, do you supplement with vit E too?

FISH OIL If I were to suggest any single nutritional supplement for dogs with arthritis, it would be fish oil (fish body oil, such as Salmon Oil or EPA oil, not cod liver oil). Fish oil provides omega-3 fatty acids that help reduce inflammation. They are beneficial no matter what type of diet you feed. Note that omega-3 fatty acids are fragile and break down quickly when exposed to light, heat or air, so just feeding a food that has omega-3 fatty acids added may not be helpful. Give as much as 1000 mg fish oil (300 mg EPA/DHA) per 10 lbs of body weight daily. Because fish oil depletes vitamin E in the body, you should also give vitamin E supplements whenever you supplement with oils of any kind. Give around 50 IUs to a small dog, 100 IUs to a medium sized dog, up to 200 IUs for a large dog, anywhere from daily to once or twice a week. See Fish Oil (Omega-3 Fatty Acids): a Proven Treatment for Canine Arthritis for information on two studies published in the JAVMA in 2010 showing how dogs with arthritis improve when given fish oil supplements.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
No, I would not give that much tuna either.

Be sure to read the whole article the below dosage is taken from. The site has loads of good info anyway.:)

"Recommended dosage is 1000 mg fish oil (containing 300 mg combined EPA/DHA) per 30 pounds (14 kg) of body weight. Maximum dosage for dogs with health problems would be 1000 mg fish oil (300 mg EPA/DHA) per 10 pounds (4.5 kg) of body weight. You can also use sardines in place of fish oil supplements; one small sardine supplies over 100 mg EPA/DHA"

DogAware.com: Supplements for Dogs

The health problems would include arthritis. I used this dosage for my 14 yr old girl. It stopped her dipping her back when I would pet her in one week.:)

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Even humans shouldn't be eating that much tuna, what with mercury contamination and all. There is canned salmon, canned sardines, fish oil, etc. and I would opt for something else like one of these.

If she was my dog, I would be wanting an actual diagnosis of what is going on. A small tear of her ACL seems as likely as arthritis, but who knows.

Rachael has been gimpy after hard exertion, too, and probably has a very small ligament tear. Nothing improper was felt with palpation and manipulation, but an x-ray showed a tiny bit of fluid in the joint. She does better with a good joint supplement, and began to do even MUCH better when I added 1000 mg. MSM A.M. and P.M. to the joint supplement.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I don't supp with Vit E, just the salmon oil and I also feed raw. I also give Gabby (arthritis dog) therapeutic doses of Dasequin with MSM. We did not have to sedate for xrays even when doing the neck and shoulder for Gabby. My vet, bless her heart, doesn't usually sedate and owners can go back and hold the dog. Flirt also had her hips and knees done without sedation and Havoc had his OFA hips done without them (as did Gabby). Flirt's also had her neck done for an injury and a few to rule out obstructions :( Can you ask your vet to do it without sedating?

Gabby is 9 and she had 4-5 bouts of limping in a six month period. To me that was too much and we went with xrays. I don't regret it. The vet put her on Metacam at full dose for 30 days (if she tolerated it) and then down to 1/2 and then go as low as possible. She only tolerated the full dose for 2.5 weeks then her tummy got upset. She's know on just under half a dose for her weight and she's running and leaping and spinning like crazy AND not getting an occasional limp.

Personally I'd rather keep my dog happy and active with a few meds than restrict all her exercise. She's my most energetic even at 9 (even with the limp!). I did opt to pull her from agility since the vet said that definitely could make it painful.

·
Da Boss
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lots to think about! Thank you all for the great info. :thanx:
Maybe I'll try the fish oil for a week or two and see how she does. If my girls still limping from a run after that, into the vet for an x-ray! I want her to have the best life possible not just some half a$$ existence.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Lots to think about! Thank you all for the great info. :thanx:
Maybe I'll try the fish oil for a week or two and see how she does. If my girls still limping from a run after that, into the vet for an x-ray! I want her to have the best life possible not just some half a$$ existence.
I meant to aslso add it may just go away too and I personally have no problem crating/resting and seeing if it goes away. In my case, it came back enough times within a 6 month period so that was enough to make me get the xray :) AND she's 9, old enough to start seeing things go wrong. She actually went 4 months just fine on full activity, and I was 99.999999999% sure whatever was wrong had resolved. She proved me wrong :)

Reactions: Meldrew79

·
Registered
9,449 Posts

·
Da Boss
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
YES! That's the best I've found. That size lasts my 3 dogs about 4-5 months.
Awesome! Thanks so much! :)

·
Da Boss
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not sure if it's just coincidence or what, but after only a few days of salmon oil Brandy's leg seems to be doing much better! She even ran around like a nut at my parents house yesterday chasing birds out of their feeders. Normally she'd limp like crazy the next day, but today she's doing really well. Can't believe it, even my mom mentioned she looked like she's feeling a lot better. Hopefully it continues down this track!
Thanks so much everyone and especially Adara for your advice! :thanx:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts